Author Topic: Amex Prepaid Reward card (TopCashBack payout) $3 monthly fee?  (Read 1289 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Amex Prepaid Reward card (TopCashBack payout) $3 monthly fee?
« on: October 27, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
Ugh, so my wife just pointed out that the TopCashBack Amex Prepaid Reward card we opted for as the payout option has been getting assessed a $3 fee for the past 6 months per this fine print (which we did *not* see until now): "SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAW. A $3.00 MONTHLY FEE WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST CARD BALANCE STARTING 13 MONTHS AFTER CARD ISSUANCE. FUNDS DO NOT EXPIRE" - card expiration is 03/26. So we've gotten $18 taken out. Probably not much to fuss over but it makes me angry regardless. I know in CA we're somewhat protected but those laws apply more towards gift cards and not promotional reward cards.... unless there's something I may not be aware of.

Anyone dealt with something like this before and come away with a favorable outcome?

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
Re: Amex Prepaid Reward card (TopCashBack payout) $3 monthly fee?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 01:33:30 PM »
You are correct that the CA laws preventing monthly fees only apply to gift cards and the AMEX Prepaid card isn't a gift card.

I'm not sure what you mean by "favorable outcome".  If you want to call AMEX and get them to waive the fee I'd say that they won't.  Just getting through to a CSR would be difficult. Why didn't/don't you just use the prepaid card?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Re: Amex Prepaid Reward card (TopCashBack payout) $3 monthly fee?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 10:59:25 PM »
You are correct that the CA laws preventing monthly fees only apply to gift cards and the AMEX Prepaid card isn't a gift card.

I'm not sure what you mean by "favorable outcome".  If you want to call AMEX and get them to waive the fee I'd say that they won't.  Just getting through to a CSR would be difficult. Why didn't/don't you just use the prepaid card?

Yea, we are going to before the next time they deduct another $3. I was just checking in to see if anyone has similarly forgotten about a promo card to the point that funds started getting deducted, and if they had success with appealing/asking Amex (or other companies) to reinstate the funds as a 'gesture of goodwill', etc... and if so, what was said/done.