Author Topic: 401k and Non-USA citizen question on TAX  (Read 1849 times)


  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 7
401k and Non-USA citizen question on TAX
« on: May 27, 2014, 02:28:27 AM »
Hi everyone,
Hope you can help, it is about 401k and how I can lower my Tax on pay-outs (after 60 years of age) if you are not USA Tax resident. Basically, I have worked for 2 years in USA/Texas, and created a 401k via Company, but now I am not living anymore in USA, and I do not have a green Card. When am I 60 or older, I like to take out payments from this 401k Account, but if possible, avoiding too much Tax. I understood that sometimes a 30% Tax is applied to foreigners, but are there Strategies to lower this?
(a) Tax treaty with your Home country. This applies to the Netherlands, but I might not live in the Netherlands when I am 60 or older. But in case I do, How can I ask the 401k organization in the USA to get zero Tax in USA on 401k Payout? Do I need to proof that it will be taxed in the Netherlands?
(b) In case the Tax Treaty does not apply: What If I reduce the Pay-outs to small amounts per year, like 10k USD per year, will that lower the Tax in USA? Or will I get 30% regardless?

Thanks if you can help me!


  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 357
  • Location: Tainan, Taiwan
Re: 401k and Non-USA citizen question on TAX
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 08:16:31 AM »
If you don't have a green card and are not sure you will be living in the us in the future, you might want to take out the money and pay the penalties. I am not sure what they are, but I wouldn't want to leave money in a country I don't if I will be able to live in again. Might be something to consider. Especially if you will be hit with a high tax when you go to take it out.