Author Topic: 400 sq ft studio  (Read 4187 times)

clairerebecca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
400 sq ft studio
« on: May 20, 2017, 12:52:02 PM »
My fiancé and I are looking for a place for him to move into in August and where we'll both live after our wedding in December. We have two main choices (so far, we're open to other options as they come along)

A 560 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment with a normal kitchen and bath
Rent: $1,133/month
Internet: $60/month
Water: $30/month
Parking: $15/month
Electricity: ~$70/month (this is the only utility that is variable)

A 400+ sq ft studio apartment with a kitchenette (stove top, under the counter fridge/freezer, sink, microwave, and a few cabinets/counters) and bath
Rent: $900/month, utilities & parking included

We'd be staying there at least until the following May. The one bedroom has an 11 month lease, August-July, so I'd probably stay behind in DC working through July, even if he has to move somewhere else for work. The studio has a flexible lease, but we'd have to start July 1, but neither of us have to be back in DC till August.

Any thoughts? Has anyone done the studio/kitchenette life before, especially with 2 people living in the apartment, and have any tips, warnings, or suggestions?

historienne

• Bristles
Re: 400 sq ft studio
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »
Can't speak for the studio, but my husband and I lived for a year in an apartment with only a hot plate, a large toaster oven, and microwave to cook with.  It was really no big deal.  I had to borrow an oven for Thanksgiving, and we had to make rectangular pizzas to maximize the space in the toaster oven.  Otherwise, I didn't miss the oven at all. 

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 01:39:19 PM »
My wife and I have no kids (I have four who are now adult) and live in a 500-square foot studio loft, and love it. I personally prefer living in a small space with very few personal possessions and would have no problem downsizing to an even smaller tiny home. The last fall-winter, we traveled to Mexico with our cat in an SUV and camped in our rooftop tent, and we are going back for more in the fall. I could easily live in the back of the truck for the rest of my life...If I were in your shoes and had to decide between a 1-bedroom and a studio, I would definitely opt for the studio especially if you can save $200-300 a month.

Edit: about the kitchen, or the lack thereof, this should not stop you even if you enjoy cooking like I do. In fact, in our last six months camping on the road to Mexico, I whipped the best meals ever on a 2-burner camp stove, a pressure cooker and one cast iron pot, a few utensils, and no fridge. Not having the top of the line tools certainly makes you more inventive and develops your cooking skills.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:35:36 AM by yyc-phil »

clairerebecca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 02:04:51 PM »
Can't speak for the studio, but my husband and I lived for a year in an apartment with only a hot plate, a large toaster oven, and microwave to cook with.  It was really no big deal.  I had to borrow an oven for Thanksgiving, and we had to make rectangular pizzas to maximize the space in the toaster oven.  Otherwise, I didn't miss the oven at all.

That's helpful to know, thanks! I had no microwave in my last apartment, which I didn't miss at all (used the oven to reheat food - perhaps not the most energy efficient solution...), but I think as long as I have either a microwave or an oven, I could get by. I am a little worried about food storage in such a small fridge.

Ocinfo

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 04:51:24 PM »
I lived in a place in DC that didn't have much of a kitchen and it ultimately cost me more money because of how easy it was to just walk out the door and eat at the dozens of restaurants within a block or two. Current place has a nicer kitchen that is more functional and as a result we eat out a lot less. Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »
I apologize if I'm making an incorrect assumption, but it sounds like you'll be moving in together for the first time in December? When we were in that situation, my bf and I agreed that we should get a 1BR. Not for extra space, necessarily, but for the door. We liked the idea of having two spaces to retreat to if we needed a little time to ourselves while adjusting to living together. It's not a question of love, by the way, but one of going from near-independence to a lot more interdependence. Ours wasn't even that bad, but it felt prudent to prepare for the worst, turbulence-wise.

A less-than-full-size kitchen was also a dealbreaker for us, but it's more of a personal choice. We like to cook, and sometimes cook in sizable batches. If your cooking is simpler and wouldn't be difficult to execute in a kitchenette, this isn't a concern for you.

But in your shoes, I'd pay the extra ~$200/mo for the 1BR.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »
I would probably get the 1 br.  I have occasional insomnia and being able to close that bedroom door is really important so I don't piss off DW at 2 am.  Of course, might not be your issue.  Also, I cook a lot, so I love a good kitchen. I live in a fifth wheel and have an enormous (for an RV) kitchen.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 06:24:57 PM »
Based on my lifestyle a full kitchen is really important to me. I buy in bulk and cook a lot of home meals based on cost, preference and the health factor.

I previous had the option of a 450 sq. ft. one bedroom with a kitchette or a 332 sq. ft. studio with a full kitchen. We choose the studio.

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
I lived in that size studio with my college roommate, and it was great, but we had a wealth of outdoors/library/other places to be when we got sick of each other. What are your "apart" options in the studio if you need some space?

My husband and I have moved apartments 5 times in the last 10 years, and it's very important for him to have a "space" that is totally his, with a door that a can close. In one apartment, our bed was in the living room to accomplish this, but it worked. Now I works night shifts, so I also need to be able to be up (quietly) when I can't sleep at night. We don't need more square feet, just walls!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 05:04:36 AM »
The kitchen would be an issue for me, rather than the size of the apartment.

clairerebecca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 05:10:37 PM »
Update: the landlord emailed us 2 days before we were supposed to see the apartment telling us it was no longer available. Since then, we've lost out on two other opportunities (one to another couple who got there first and one to an extended renovation). But three more options to go, so we're not homeless yet!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!