Author Topic: 4 legged critter control  (Read 2428 times)

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
4 legged critter control
« on: December 18, 2016, 12:14:37 PM »
I have a 12x16 Morgan shed in my backyard, and last week noticed that I now have a pet opossum.  Today, I was enjoying a nice stew for lunch, and heard rustling in the attic.  The damn squirrels have pulled away the flashing and chewed a hole in the soffit.  I went into the attic and saw one of them run out the hole, and didn't see any more.  I put an ammonia soaked rag in the hole and screwed in a new piece of flashing to cover the hole.

Is there anything more that I can do to keep the little bastards away?  I don't have outside animals, so I am not really concerned about the opossum, but the fucking tree rats need to go.  I sure hope that I didn't capture one in my attic. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 4 legged critter control
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 12:20:13 PM »
A live trap can take care of any that got stuck in your attic. Maybe you can borrow one from a neighbor or friend if needed. You;ll hear them moving around up there if they are stuck. I'd suggest looking around outside and see if you can figure out how the squirrels got to the area they came in through - trim back trees or whatever in order to make it harder for them to access.

I had an absolute plague o f raccoons one year - a family of about 12 had taken up residence in the neighbor's shed right near our fence line. They killed my chickens and were in the trashcans constantly. We "re-homed" them with a live trap. The opossum may decide to have babies or chew up things in your shed - so personally I would look to encourage him/her to move on elsewhere.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 12:22:06 PM »
Any half decent air rifle should do the trick for your "tree rats"

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 12:36:59 PM »
Any half decent air rifle should do the trick for your "tree rats"

This.  Or baited traps.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 07:09:11 PM »
Try to find and eliminate their food source.  Animals can be fun and interesting for the first little while but over time they usually become a nuisance.

My friend had rabbits living under her shed and thought they were fun to watch that is until they started having babies and eating up all of her gardens.  They weren't so cute after that.