Author Topic: 3 nights camping: no stove + no cooler  (Read 29882 times)

kt

3 nights camping: no stove + no cooler
« on: July 31, 2013, 11:16:22 AM »
I'm heading off camping for 3 nights on friday and won't have a cooler or stove. I'm planning to freeze some water and a few food items to keep everything else cool but is there anything I could do? I'm not taking things that need to be cool but warm food can be rather unpleasant!
I don't want the bulk of an insulated bag but was wondering if foil wrapping things would make any difference (based on the observation of cooler bags have a shiny lining and my having very little scientific understanding!).
ta!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 3 nights camping: no stove + no cooler
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
Will you have a fire?  Wrapping things in tinfoil and cooking them in the coals is a great way to replace a stove.  I once tried potato from scratch though, and that took much longer than I had patience for.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:19:31 PM »
If you have a fire, things are easy. You can cook in foil as plainjane mentioned, or put a pot (cast iron or enameled) on the side of the coals or on the fire ring. And of course there's the old standby of hot dogs on a stick.

I don't camp without my enameled percolator. It's good for coffee and for anything needing hot water.

It's much faster to cook cut-up veggies in foil than whole potatoes. Add a little water or Worcestershire sauce to the packet so that it steams things. If you can keep meat cool, hobo stew is wonderful -- veggies, meat and some water in foil packets. You can put beef jerky in there in a pinch, by the way (add extra water). It also works in soup.

Now, if you're camping cold, make friends with beef jerky, granola bars, apples, bananas, and peanut butter sandwiches. Put honey on the sandwiches if you don't want plain; unlike jelly, it doesn't need refrigeration. Or put raisins on there. They're really good with peanut butter.

kt

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »
i'm about sorted on the food front (pittas, tuna, fruit, nuts, flapjack, salad, breakfast muffins) and won't have a fire or stove (no idea about the campsite regs, going to a small festival).
just wondering if anyone has more tips on keeping things cool.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »
I don't think the foil alone will work to keep food cold. It is a radiation barrier but you still have convection+conduction working against you and they are dominant in this situation. Wrapping it up in a fleece sweater or your sleeping bag will work though.

kt

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »
can you explain (simply) the science behind fleece keeping it cool? this seems illogical but i know this is basically how insulation does work. just like to understand!
will look at my stuff see if i can make-shift something. would just wrapping in general clothes help?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »
Can I ask why you're not going to have a cooler?  When I go to festivals, I bring two -- one for the drinks and one for the food.  They're pretty cheap and of course you can re-use them forever.

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 02:10:38 PM »
can you explain (simply) the science behind fleece keeping it cool? this seems illogical but i know this is basically how insulation does work. just like to understand!

Fleece keeps heat from passing through it, the only reason it keeps you warm is because your body naturally generates heat and the fleece helps prevent that heat from escaping.  However, when you wrap up something cold, and the heat is on the outside, it keeps the heat from getting through to the cold items.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:04:42 PM by spider1204 »

kt

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 02:43:23 PM »
@Eric - I'm not taking a cooler because I'm going on my own by train so need to keep things as compact as possible. Plus I don't have one and don't know when else I'd use it so it seems a bit silly to buy one for this one off when I'll technically be fine without.

@spider1204 - thanks! that makes sense. i'll have a look see what i can rig up bearing that in mind.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 04:01:26 PM »
If you're going to a festival and not out into the sticks, chances are good that you will meet others who have hauled along their coolers and fire.  Make friends, stick your food in their cooler.  Warm your pitas in their fire.  :)

calskin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
Hey KT,

Most of what you're taking looks fine.  When you say flapjack, do you mean pancakes (sorry, Canadian)?

I recommend you take nutrient dense food with you.  Personally, I would advise against muffins since they take up a lot of space, generally aren't very nourishing, and they won't travel well.

I would pack the same as if I were going on a hike for as many days as your festival.  I'm assuming you'll have access to clean water.  If not, I would get a good water filter.

If you're going to freeze food to take, eat that the first night.

Here's what I would take for food...

Equipment:

1. If you're trying to save money, it's easy to build a rocket stove.  (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Rocket-Stove-from-a-10-Can-and-4-So/)  Very easy to make and very fun to build and use.  You can assemble it on site.  Make sure you test it before you leave.  This is so low key and only burns twigs so chances are no one would notice.
2. A water container or two minimum 1 liter, preferably 1.5 liters
3. A small pot with no handle (no handle saves space and the pot doubles as a dish)
4. A spoon
5. A multi-tool or pair of pliers (to move the hot pot and they have 1000 other uses while camping)

Food:

1. Trail mix (only dark chocolate in it if any and not very much)
2. Hot chocolate powder
3. raisins and dried cranberries (high energy)
4. dried fruit (apples, bananas, etc)
5. Tuna (very high in protien)
6. Olive oil (keeps you feeling full)
7. Almond milk (very sealable package)
8. Tea (generally peppermint and licorice) (this combination is extremely calming if you need sleep)
9. Sausage (pepperoni or salami doesn't need refrigeration)
10. If you must have bread take bagels (they pack better and are more dense)
11. Instant oatmeal
12. Soap! (often forgotten)

I hope this helps a bit.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 04:50:14 PM »
will look at my stuff see if i can make-shift something. would just wrapping in general clothes help?

Yes wrapping it in clothes will help. The more billowy the better and the more massive your cold food is the better it will work. Your sleeping bag is the perfect choice because you will have it with you anyway. Don't leave any gaps because if air can freely move through it will transport the heat and negate the insulation.

I'm a thermal engineer so I'm qualified to explain this stuff but I don't know where you are starting from in terms of science background or attention span. Basically the heat (energy) from the surroundings wants to get into your cold food until it is the same temperature as the surroundings. You can slow this down with insulation. Fleece is good insulation because it has tiny fibers which slow down air movement. Air is a poor conductor of heat when still.