Author Topic: 2nd hand bed vs new  (Read 13202 times)

cowboysgirlfriend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My rambling blog
2nd hand bed vs new
« on: September 02, 2014, 09:56:11 AM »
My fiance and I have recently moved in to our first home together - a rented single-wide. Our bedroom is currently housing a second-hand futon frame and mattress that I bought off Craigslist. It works just fine for my fiance when he is home alone, but as I'm planning to move over there and marry him soon, for the two of us it isn't so good.

I've been trawling Craigslist for second hand options, but I'm more than a little wary of the unknown quality of a second hand bed. He is a horseshoer, and I am an ex-dancer. Between the two of us, there are barely any functioning vertebrae left. I am used to sleeping on a good quality orthopaedic mattress, which didn't come cheaply.

I saw that our local Goodwill store offers new beds and mattresses, and we could get a complete bed (frame, box spring and mattress) for just over $400. The good quality Craigslist finds are not much different in price. Our budget is getting trashed as we set up house from scratch, we are broke phi broke, so anything more than $600 for the complete bed is really pushing our available resources.

My question is: has anybody ever tried a bed from Goodwill? Is there a better place I could look for a good bed at a good price?

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2nd hand bed vs new
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:15:03 AM »
You don't have to buy a craigslist bed sight unseen. Lay down on it, if it feels right it's probably going to work out OK I would think. Just my opinion.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:29:05 AM »
Overstock is great.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Comfort-Dreams-Select-A-Firmness-11-inch-Queen-size-Memory-Foam-Mattress/3158654/product.html?refccid=UE5WTX5KOHRKDIKKV56N7HB7FU&searchidx=0

I bought this queen mattress 4 years ago and it's the best bed I've ever slept on. I ordered "firm" and  it's gotten a little softer on the side I've been sleeping on, but I actually like it better that way. They ship it with all the air sucked out in a plastic wrapper, folded up like a carpet so it's really easy to move. Since it's foam, it's pretty light and bends easily if you ever plan on moving again.

You can get a cheaper one if you'd like, overstock has the full range of a ton of foam mattresses. You don't need a box spring for these. They also sell basic bed frames for $60+ dollars. Free shipping.

cowboysgirlfriend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My rambling blog
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:05:56 AM »
Thanks, that looks awesome. Never heard of Overstock before!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »
Of all the things to buy new, a mattress is one

And if you have back issues, all the more reason to get what you want rather than relying on whatever Craigslist coughs up.

Also? Bedbugs.

Overstock.com is awesome. One word of caution, however: returning a foam mattress if it doesn't suit you would not be the easiest thing to do - they vacuum seal those puppies and once the seal is broken, good luck getting it back in the packaging!

I do like the foam mattresses because you can put them on a platform and you don't need a box spring. Depending on your needs, you could always start with the mattress and add a bedframe later.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »
If you go the used route, you can buy a mattress cover that will trap and kill the bedbugs. Put that on before you bring the mattress into your house. If you don't and get bed bugs, you will spend far more money getting rid of them than you saved on a used mattress. Here's a place that explains them (http://www.bedbugs.org/bed-covers/).

We have a platform bed that eliminates the use of a box spring. Over the course of your life, this will save you a ton of money. I believe we paid around $400 for the wooden bed frame, but I imagine you could drop that down to $100 if you bought a simple one. Here's an example: (http://www.amazon.com/South-Shore-Furniture-Collection-Platform/dp/B000CPAFBW/ref=sr_1_2?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1409682213&sr=1-2&keywords=platform+bed+queen)

So, you could buy a platform base and just the mattress for cheaper. Do you know someone with a warehouse membership? Costco and Sam's have better quality mattresses for cheaper.

Having said that, I slept on a used mattress for years - a hand me down from a hotel nonetheless - and was fine with that. If you cover it with a cover, who cares?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 07:19:40 PM »
I bought a refurbished mattress from a thrift store once, and used it very unhappily for several years thereafter. It seemed fine for about a month, then all pokey springs and sagging afterward.

If you can afford it, buy a new mattress. The bed frame can be used, or you can save yourself some trouble and expense and buy just the mattress, no foundation piece, and set it on the floor while you look for a used platform bed (or build one).

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »
I quite love my foam mattress on the floor.  Best sleep ever.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
Set limits. This might be one of them. NEW!

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »
I'd go for new if I were you, don't take the risk of bedbugs, fleas and whatever else the people before you have left on it. I went for new when I got one but made sure to wait until it was on sale.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 10:04:20 PM »
Estate Sales. DH and I went to one last week and they were selling a spotless king-sized Sleep Number bed for $250. We were sorely tempted, but we really don't need a new mattress yet. Turns out the woman who owned the house was still very much alive and kicking. She owns two houses and was moving into #2 and selling the first one.

I'd comb CL for leads. Estate Sales tend to begin towards the end of the week on Thurs/ Fri. in my area, whereas Garage Sales are usually Sat/Sun. Since they are called different things in different areas, I'll clarify that Estate Sales are usually held inside the house and everything goes. A Garage/Yard/ Tag Sale is generally smaller and held in the garage or outdoors. Going out of business forever sale vs. overstock sale.

As I'm writing this, no one has mentioned bugs so far. If I bought a used mattress these days, I'd spray it liberally with Lysol and completely encase it in heavy black plastic. I'd seal it completely and leave it out in the hot sun for a couple of days, turning at least once. That should take care of any mites or even creepier crawlers. It may not eradicate them completely, but if you do have an infestation, you will see evidence when you unwrap it. At least it would keep any varmints from infesting your whole house.

JustTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 10:16:33 PM »
We bought an amazing king mattress for only $300 off of sears.com. Of course, I was too cheap to buy the box spring (we plan to build a frame someday), so we've ONLY got the mattress right now, but it's pretty awesome! We shopped local mattress stores first, but I just couldn't stomach the prices. I finally decided that the potential that the $300 would work out was worth the risk of having to pay $50 for re-stocking if the mattress didn't work out. (I chose a brand/firmness that we had tried in the store, but it wasn't the same exact "model" of any that we tried).

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 12:00:45 AM »
I ordered  memory foam mattresses from amazon. the prices were very reasonable, plus shipped to your door.
like people said, memory foam doesnt need box springs, you can use a platform or floor.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 05:36:57 AM »
I ordered  memory foam mattresses from amazon. the prices were very reasonable, plus shipped to your door.
like people said, memory foam doesnt need box springs, you can use a platform or floor.

No mattress needs box springs, memory foam or no.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 06:19:33 AM »
I'll put my MMM-pride behind me long enough to buy a new mattress and only new. Bed bugs, stains, smell, general grossness.... people's bodies are disgusting, don't buy a used mattress that people have slept on/been sick on/had sex on.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 06:28:01 AM »
If you are costco members (or know someone who is) they sell a pretty inexpensive memory foam mattress called Novaform, and I think in my most recent coupon book, I saw that it was on sale this month.  I have heard rave reviews. 

Also, check out the website tuft and needle.  There are coupon codes floating around the forums, I think. 

We bought a spring mattress from a furniture outlet for about 400$.  It was fine as a guest mattress, or for one adult, but pretty awful for two people.  You could feel the springs poking through, etc. 

Like everyone else said, skip the box springs and get a platform bed.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 06:40:17 AM »
Another vote for buying new.  $400 is totally enough for a reasonable quality new mattress.  DH and I got a Keetsa mattress for about $500 a few months ago.  I'm finding it is high quality, very comfortable, and eco-friendly to boot.  Good luck!

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 07:19:50 AM »
don't buy a used mattress that people have slept on/been sick on/had sex on.

Presumably that means you never sleep in a hotel or at someone's house?

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 08:07:08 AM »

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
I bought a second hand bed a few years ago and still sleep on it.  I bought it from a friend's roommate who was moving out of their house.  I haven't had any issues with bedbugs or smells or lack of support, but I wouldn't have bought it without a) knowing the people it came from and how they lived, and b) checking it out first in person.  I actually slept on it one night before buying it because I was moving and needed to crash for the night before my lease started.  Having low standards in college also helped.

Honestly, I am in the market for a new mattress and won't buy another one used.  This one is still fine for one person, but like you I need something for myself and my SO and it's just not up to snuff.  I would definitely consider replacing my bed frame with a used one since it's falling apart, but I don't think I'll buy any mattress used again.  I think I got very lucky the first time around.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 08:55:18 AM »
I'd buy a bed used in a heartbeat . . . but I'd want a new mattress to set upon it. 

I know two people who've dealt with bedbugs, and their stories have scared me!  Both said it cost a fortune (one said $700, the other said $1000 -- one is frugal, the other isn't) to get rid of them, and it was a lot of (disgusting) work. 

In my state it is illegal to sell or donate a mattress. 

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 09:16:50 AM »
Bedbugs can live in bed frames, too, not just mattresses and box springs.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 09:30:04 AM »
I'd buy a bed used in a heartbeat . . . but I'd want a new mattress to set upon it. 

I know two people who've dealt with bedbugs, and their stories have scared me!  Both said it cost a fortune (one said $700, the other said $1000 -- one is frugal, the other isn't) to get rid of them, and it was a lot of (disgusting) work. 

In my state it is illegal to sell or donate a mattress.

+1

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »

Presumably that means you never sleep in a hotel or at someone's house?

I've also used a public pool before dun dun dun. But I still wouldn't want someone's dirty, second mattress. Can't exactly run it through the washer.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
NEW. You spend a third of your life in bed, & good sleep is essential. All mattresses age & break down over time.

We've always preferred platform beds, which don't require a box spring. You could start with the mattress on the floor, & add the platform later. Check out Sams/Costco & IKEA.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »
i bought used with the frame which was very nice ... total cost 600 ... that was 4 years ago still sleeping on it now loving every minute of it

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 10:09:44 PM »
Buy a new mattress, but a used box spring.  "Ask This Old House" showed a tip on how to 'fold' a box spring for moving it through tight doorways which I imagine you're going to face in a single-wide.  I'll bet that will come in handy for you... http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/video/0,,20785338,00.html

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 11:08:37 AM »
Bedbugs can live in bed frames, too, not just mattresses and box springs.
But a bed frame can be cleaned and sanitized.  A mattress cannot.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 08:37:54 PM »
I bought a mattress from mattress warehouse (not discounters). my mattress was 300. It's not the greatest, but it gets the job done. I have a used box spring and simple metal frame.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 08:51:42 PM »

I was going to point out the exact same thing. Plus, it's probably a lot more convenient to try to get rid of potential bedbugs from a mattress you just bought, rather than from a mattress you're renting. Unless you go around spraying chemicals on every motel bed you sleep on, or drag the mattress out and put it in a hot car for several hours (being seen dragging a mattress out of a motel room may arouse some suspicion).

Same reason I don't have a problem buying silverware from the op-shop (thrift store). I don't mind eating with a fork that's been in the mouth of hundreds or more people, if I'm paying $$ at a "nice" restaurant (nice = no plastic utensils). Why would I have a sudden aversion to buying a fork that literally several people, perhaps a dozen have had in their mouth?

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 09:57:59 PM »
People spend 6-10 hours every day on their bed? This is one area I wouldn't skimp. Buy new.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 05:22:19 AM »
Yeah, I'd go the secondhand frame and a new mattress, or just buy the mattress until you can afford to buy a frame. Especially if, as you've said, you may have some back issues which may be aggravated with a dodgy bed.

I think frugal vs cheap applies here. :)

lavar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
I'd second the costco recommendation for the mattress, and consider used for the bed frame possibly. Also may wish to consider tuft and needle mattresses. Lots of plans out there to build inexpensive platform beds out there if you just want to pick up the mattress too!

cowboysgirlfriend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My rambling blog
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 09:14:25 AM »
Thanks all for your helpful replies and suggestions. I feel I should point out in Goodwill's defence that their mattresses are new, not used! Having looked at a few of the links that you've shared, though, I think I will shop around online for a mattress, and see if I can get a second hand platform bed (no idea why these aren't commonplace in the USA - I'd never heard of a box spring until a few months ago).