Author Topic: 23 Year Old Millennial Seeking Experienced Advice  (Read 4174 times)

cnash1303

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
23 Year Old Millennial Seeking Experienced Advice
« on: September 07, 2016, 07:43:07 AM »
Hello Mustachians...

I've been on MMM for a little while now. I've always loved the philosophies here and I'm slowly seeking FI myself. However, at the end of this month I will be unemployed.

I would say my story is a pretty common one these days. I went to school and got a degree in something I was passionate about, only to find out that in practice it was much more terrible than my textbooks made it look. I gave a two month notice to my boss about a month back, hoping a job that I had interviewed for to pan out, and it didn't.

A little about me, I'm married with no kids. I really want to move closer to my home town because its where all my friends and family are. I'm honestly open to taken just about any job at this point. Right now my wife is unemployed, but she has a degree in teaching, but is only licensed in our home state (another reason to move back). Still, there is a good chance she won't be able to find a job teaching until the new school year starts (Next August).

I really want to move on to something new, but I don't know where to go from here. At the moment we are both just trying to get jobs in retail and survive for a little while. That being said...right now our household income is 35k, because she doesnt work. If we both got these jobs we are looking at around $35k still...so that is the silver lining I suppose.

That being said, is retail even worth getting into temporarily? Is there room for growth at all?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 23 Year Old Millennial Seeking Experienced Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 08:06:37 AM »
I would say my story is a pretty common one these days. I went to school and got a degree in something I was passionate about, only to find out that in practice it was much more terrible than my textbooks made it look. I gave a two month notice to my boss about a month back, hoping a job that I had interviewed for to pan out, and it didn't.
What is your degree? What transferable skills do you have? What is your work experience?

A little about me, I'm married with no kids. I really want to move closer to my home town because its where all my friends and family are. I'm honestly open to taken just about any job at this point. Right now my wife is unemployed, but she has a degree in teaching, but is only licensed in our home state (another reason to move back). Still, there is a good chance she won't be able to find a job teaching until the new school year starts (Next August).
What is your home state? She can still substitute teach and feel out different schools when she's there. This could be a good "in" for next year at a school she enjoys.

Do you have any debt?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:16:19 AM »
yeah you provided little to no information about your self and your situation.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 09:20:18 AM »
It sounds like you are just kind of floating along waiting for life to happen to you. You are leaving a job because it is terrible with nothing else lined up so now you are in a position to go into... retail? Not that there is anything wrong with retail but based on your post I doubt that is the direction you wanted your life to head in.

Figure out what you want and make a plan to get there. What industry do you want to be a part of? Can you get a certification or take a class to help you in that field? Start looking into companies in the industry you want, don't settle for less because that can become a habit (I am saying this because you wanted to do it temporarily but also asked if there is room for growth...if it is temporary why does it matter?).

Check some of these out too, best of luck.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/08/05/50-jobs-over-50000-without-a-degree-part-2/

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 09:27:06 AM »
To me it sounds like you both could use the help of a career mentor to figure things out. Can you contact your alma mater and get in touch with the career center? Many schools offer help in terms of placement, skills assessment, resume and job hunt help, interview prep, and the like. I agree with another poster that you sound directionless. I benefited tremendously from mentors in the beginning of my career and you sound like someone who needs that kind of a guiding hand. Perhaps there would even be someone here in the forums who could offer perspective. Can you give more info about both of your degrees, majors, work experience, skills, and interests? Where do you live and where is "home"?

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 12:18:22 PM »
I gave a two month notice to my boss about a month back, hoping a job that I had
interviewed for to pan out, and it didn't.

I'm sorry that your new job didn't work out, but this is face-punch worthy.  At
this early stage in your FI path, why would you quit your current job before
your next one was confirmed?

It's also worrying that you don't have kids and your spouse is unemployed.

Most retail work is awful.  The likely benefit in your getting a retail job will be
to push you harder to find a better job.

On a more positive note, both you and your spouse are young and have some
great opportunities ahead if you are proactive about your future.

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
In my experience with long-term unemployment, you better find whatever job will hire you just to keep your and your wife's resume updated, have some money to eat and keep looking for other jobs on the side.
A temp job will always look better in a resume than a blank space. Some recruiters pass on resumes with weird work records.

And some Temp agencies won't hire you unless you worked in the last 6 months.

Has your wife looked into tutoring? Not sure if she can sub without a state license/exam (and sub interviews must have passed already anyway, don't they do those in June/July?) but she can surely be a home tutor. With classes already starting no doubt there might be opportunities for a licensed teacher from another state to do one-on-one tutoring.

kittenbear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 11:32:59 AM »
Totally agree with everything that's been said so far.  Some additional suggestions:

-Your wife is probably qualified to sub, act as a classroom aide (does not require licensure and looks good on a resume), or tutor.  Look into your local community college as well--if she was a HS teacher, she might be qualified to teach and is definitely qualified to professionally tutor, which pays well although will only offer part-time hours and no benefits
-Look into retail management positions.  These are great resume-builders and you will develop a ton of transferable skills, especially in managing a chaotic staff
-You are also probably qualified to professional tutor at a community college
-Definitely definitely speak with Career Services at your alma mater, as a previous poster recommended.  They are still available to help even after you've graduated
-Network!!!  There is a 99% chance that your college has an alumni group in/near your city.  Take advantage of your fellow alums
-Is your LinkedIn account up-to-date and active?  Connect with every person from your past you can find.  Review their contacts and ask for introductions to others in your field.  Offer to buy people coffee if they'll sit and meet with you for a few minutes
-Create a list of your transferable skills and incorporate these into your resume: worked at a restaurant?  Those are excellent customer service skills you developed, plus the ability to manage several active projects simultaneously and balance competing priorities.  Did data entry?  That's attention to detail and an understanding of how small details fit into the big picture.  You get the idea.  Google is a great resource for this.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 05:50:34 AM »
+ 1 to everything Kittenbear said.

Please reply back and give us an update on your progress

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 02:27:22 AM »
Following, to hear more of your story.  I don't think it's as dire as some others may.

I definitely think your wife can find work mid-year in most places if you move back, but research into it first.  Call the school district HR office, to start.

Good luck!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.