Author Topic: 2022 Free Tax filling recommendations (US)  (Read 863 times)

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
2022 Free Tax filling recommendations (US)
« on: February 11, 2022, 02:41:58 PM »
I'm in the market for tax software again because they all seem to be terrible in one way or another. Any recommendations

My requirements are:

I'm at my wits end with filling taxes. It's looking like it might be another year of going to Free Fillable Forms but I really don't want to if I can help it. Cash App Taxes (Formerly Credit Karma Tax) doesn't know how to accept an Electric Vehicle Credit so I'm looking for another program. My taxes aren't complicated, married filing jointly, a W2, a small Schedule C, some retirement contributions, a tiny bit of long term disability, and an electric car. I can do the forms myself and snail mail if I really need to but last year my snail mail refund took 7 months to show up so I'd rather not do that again.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2022 Free Tax filling recommendations (US)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 03:01:08 PM »
I used FreeTaxUSA last year and am planning to use it this year. They charge for state though. Not sure how it works with Schedule Cs though.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 03:15:09 PM »
I used FreeTaxUSA last year and am planning to use it this year. They charge for state though. Not sure how it works with Schedule Cs though.

I have used FreeTaxUSA for 3-4 years.  Works great with everything including Schedule C.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 07:31:57 PM »
Cash App Taxes (Formerly Credit Karma Tax) doesn't know how to accept an Electric Vehicle Credit so I'm looking for another program.
I used FreeTaxUSA for our 2021 taxes which handled the EV credit just fine.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 08:38:35 PM »
I'm at my wits end with filling taxes. It's looking like it might be another year of going to Free Fillable Forms but I really don't want to if I can help it.

Just curious, what's wrong with Free Fillable Forms?  I used them for several years and didn't have any problems.  I would "double check" my numbers using TaxAct.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 07:42:22 AM »
I also used FreeTaxUSA, was easy enough to enter the data into the schedule c as well (for my ebay reselling business I used to do).

However, they don't offer an option to connect to your brokerage and download all your data for schedule D and what not.  I did some day trading for a little while one year and it was a nightmare trying to figure out how to fill out the form with respect to codes , washes etc.. LOL.. so I ended up using Turbo Tax that year, which cost me $179 for state/federal with schedule C, D etc. So basically, it cost me $179 because I briefly did some day trading -- sucks lol.   I suppose I need to learn how to fill out these schedule D's (and the other capital gains related forms) myself if I ever do trading again like that.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 09:27:01 AM »
I also used FreeTaxUSA, was easy enough to enter the data into the schedule c as well (for my ebay reselling business I used to do).

However, they don't offer an option to connect to your brokerage and download all your data for schedule D and what not.  I did some day trading for a little while one year and it was a nightmare trying to figure out how to fill out the form with respect to codes , washes etc.. LOL.. so I ended up using Turbo Tax that year, which cost me $179 for state/federal with schedule C, D etc. So basically, it cost me $179 because I briefly did some day trading -- sucks lol.   I suppose I need to learn how to fill out these schedule D's (and the other capital gains related forms) myself if I ever do trading again like that.

Now you're making me wonder if i filled out my schedule D, right, lol. It was easy for the long term and qualified dividends sections, but I just took the amount of sale and cost basis aggregated numbers from my 1099 and did 2 reports. One for short term and one for long term. Luckily I didn't have any wash sales to worry about. Did I do it wrong?

ResolLaTot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 12:27:39 PM »
Another shout out for FreeTaxUSA. Can't speak to Schedule C or electric vehicles, but it handles schedule E and depreciation like a champ.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 12:46:08 PM »
I've used Free Tax USA for the last 3 years and have to do Schedule C every year.  I can't recommend them enough!!!  I filled last Tuesday and had my refund in my checking account on Friday.  I've never gotten the actual money so fast!!!

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 07:16:50 AM »
I've been using Free Fillable Forms for years, and I hate the system passionately.  I have to type in a total of 5 w-2s and 1099-Rs, and one must enter every bit of data from these forms.  I made a one-digit typo on the payer's TIN recently, and my return was quickly rejected for me to make the correction.  My error indeed, but proof positive that they have all the goddamn data that I have to enter manually! I totally resent so much unnecessary data entry. Free and worth every penny, but I agree that I should not have to pay to file my taxes. 
It doesn't appear that we're eligible for any free option to file our state taxes electronically, so I'm going to file a paper return.  I don't mind waiting for the $150. that is our average state return.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 04:47:29 PM »
I wish there was a free service that will connect to your broker and generate your schedule D, etc.. which I could then use in FreeTaxUSA.  But it looks like I am going to have to sit down and learn all the complex details of filling out these forms myself including special codes, washes etc.