Author Topic: 2016 Health Insurance. Choose High Deductible Plan from GEHA?  (Read 2934 times)

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
2016 Health Insurance. Choose High Deductible Plan from GEHA?
« on: November 09, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
Currently, I have great health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield.  They cover everything, are super helpful, and I never have to worry about my healthcare needs.  But, now that we are done having babies, don't have any big healthcare needs coming up, and are reasonably healthy, I'm thinking of changing to a high deductible plan to access an HSA through GEHA.

Does anyone else have a plan like this?  It seems too good to be true -
- 100% coverage for preventative (with kids this will definitely be used)
- Access to an HSA for retirement and health savings
- $125 monthly pass through to HSA
- Lower monthly cost
- All of our primary care providers are in network.

What am I missing????  We chose to skip this plan previously because we would have been disqualified from the HSA.  But, now, we will qualify for the HSA and it seems like the best option. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with a high deductible plan, this provider, or regret making a switch? 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2016 Health Insurance. Choose High Deductible Plan from GEHA?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 05:02:22 PM »
So, you're a federal employee? My (limited) understanding is that they have 2 plans - an awesome, yet expensive one, and a less expensive and less awesome one. The lack of a 3rd option seems very like the federal government.

Your biggest costs will likely be unexpected - accidents or sudden illness. How's it look if the kid falls off something and breaks bones? If you're travelling? Can you get in network at big hospitals near you in case something horrible happens and local hospitals aren't enough? That's what I'd worry about really.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2016 Health Insurance. Choose High Deductible Plan from GEHA?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 09:09:08 PM »
Not federal, but we can access it.  The plan looks really stellar, about 5% out of pocket across the board, once we hit the deductible.  It's better than any of the other plans, once we hit the deductible...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!