Author Topic: 2009 Honda Fit  (Read 2761 times)

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
2009 Honda Fit
« on: October 14, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »
Currently carting around an odyssey touring top of the line 2007 that I bought a couple months ago below market value. I was interested in German bombers and tiny sports cars before becoming mustachian, then sold everything and purchased the odyssey.

The odyssey was purchased for commercial purposes but I had a couple of months to tool around in it. Felt pretty stupid driving 46 miles round trip in it to work.

The business is finally coming together so the odyssey will be given to the employee.

I'm now looking at a 2009 Honda Fit 5 speed standard with 0 options. I use nadaguides and use the 'clean trade in' value as my 'appropriate value. This is giving me a value of $7350. Am I missing anything? Should I be doing more?

Will definitely bring along a dabbling weekend mechanic friend and check the carfax.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »
You could see if a Leaf would meet your needs. It could very well be cheaper to own and operate. In my case it was cheaper to own and operate than a low-mileage 2010 Corolla.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/nissan-leaf-almost-paying-me-to-drive-it/

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:30:37 PM »
That looks like a great option.  Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and there are no street parking charging options.

TN_Steve

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »
I drive a '12 with base trim and manual, which is the same car you are looking at.  My experience (at 42000 miles) is that it is solid, no worries car--albeit I was coming from a '98 civic.  Does seller have maintenance dates/miles written down in the manual, or some other records?  If s/he did the maintenance when indicated by the car and your mechanic signs off, you should be in good shape.

As for cost of owning/operating, if you drive prudently, you'll far exceed the epa estimated MPG.  Over past three years, I get 41-44 on my commute (50/50 highway/city), but definitely working to get that.  Long road trips are closer to 35 MPG (still higher than epa), as I set cruise at 75, rather than put along.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 02:31:33 PM »
I would just echo the suggestion to have a PPI done.  Most dealers are happy to do a pre-purchase inspection and point out every single thing they can find for a flat diagnostic fee, usually $80-150 or so.  Why so happy?  Because they are hopeful you will buy the car and then have them do all the work that they find on it.  In the mean time, you can use the PPI results to negotiate with the seller or as confirmation that the car is a good deal.