Author Topic: 2008 Honda Fit Hatchback 5 Speed - Is this a good deal?  (Read 2539 times)

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
2008 Honda Fit Hatchback 5 Speed - Is this a good deal?
« on: September 29, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a Honda Fit and I found one that I think may be a good deal, but who am I. I honestly don't know a thing about cars. Yeah, I can drive a stick. I do have that skill and proud of it!

Here are the details:
Asking Price: $3,600.00

2008 honda fit sport
condition: excellent
cylinders: 4 cylinders
drive: fwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 209296
paint color: black
size: compact
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: hatchback
Selling my daily work car, nothing wrong, non smoker, clean interior, never been to an accident, clean title on hand. everything stock no modifications, recently done and pass state inspection, everything works, aircon, heating, lights and radio.

Features:
1.5 L 4-cylinder
Original Alloy rimms
28 city / 34 highway
Cruise Control
Tire threads about 90%
5-Speed manual transmission
Heat/Aircon.
I'm still using this car so the mileage still going up,
Automatic mirror adjustment
Foldable rear seat
New cabin and air filters

Thanks a lot for your help (in advance)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2008 Honda Fit Hatchback 5 Speed - Is this a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 02:03:51 PM »
Look it up in Kelley’s blue book to see what it is worth in your local area.

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »
Look it up in Kelley’s blue book to see what it is worth in your local area.

Thanks, Cassie. I checked the blue book and yes, the price is very good.

I was really looking for feedback from anyone who has owned one these cars and questioning if the mileage is too high and if I would be in danger of it breaking down soon or little things here and there starting to not work anymore...things like that.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 06:25:11 AM »
My girlfriend has a 2007 with ~205,000, manual. Second owner. It's never had any maintenance to speak of, just the basics like a 12 battery, tires, oil changes, and burns zero oil between 10k changes. She averages around 45mpg, not doing anything special.

These cars are known to very occasionally eat coil packs (fixed in the 2009 model) but a set of 4 are only around $50 if I remember correctly, and we haven't replaced one yet. A failed pack won't leave you on the side of the road but will probably manifest as a misfire CEL or mysterious rough engine running.

The one big ticket item I see coming is a clutch. She might get another 30-50k out of it, but it's hard to say. The part of cheap (~$100?) but requires dropping the engine or transmission to get to.  Once that's done I fully expect another 100-150k miles of very reliable operation.

I'd say you can probably get the car for $2-400 less, but that's pretty close to what it's worth.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 06:37:10 AM by Ecky »

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 06:38:01 PM »
That is exactly the feedback I was looking for! Thanks and that makes a lot of sense that a new clutch would be on the horizon given the mileage. I really like the idea of 100 to 150k more of reliable operation too as I may be taking this little car on the road.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 07:06:26 PM »
Good to know that a manual Fit can be a reasonable price! My 2005 Civic Hybrid hit 240K, and I've wondered what I'll buy when this dies. Maybe I'll add a manual trans Fit to the list.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 08:54:03 PM »
I personally drive a G1 Insight, and it just rolled past 240k as well. Back in 2010 its battery was replaced by Honda for free. I sold the battery a few weeks back for $800 - it was probably good for 5+ more years, but the car runs fine without it, though acceleration is a good deal slower. Still delivers ~70mpg on my commute, 80+ on road trips, and the car has otherwise never had anything but routine maintenance. I'd probably recommend a Fit over an Insight for most people but it's a good choice for some people. Cost of ownership can't be beat if you're fine with the compromises.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:27:16 AM by Ecky »

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 09:03:54 PM »
I sold my G1 Insight with 393k on it and no battery for over 100k. Great car for long commutes! I just didnt want to trust parts availability for several more years....and the dreaded 2nd gear issue.....so I replaced it with the Civic hybrid.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 09:26:26 PM »
We've had two Honda Fits, a 2008 and a 2009, good cars: practical, versatile, surprisingly good cargo haulers. We never had any problems other than regular maintenance (oil changes) and consumable parts (tires, batteries, brakes, etc). Neither of ours had quite so as many miles as the one you are looking at however.

Someone already mentioned the clutch. That is a wear and tear part, so it's not unexpected that you will have to replace it at some-point. I don't think there's a reliable way of checking the life remaining on the clutch. You may want to ask around for a couple of quotes on what it would cost to change the clutch when it comes due, there is a fair bit of labor involved, so it's not cheap. That way you will know what to expect in terms of cost when the time comes due (you might also be able to use that number to help you negotiate).

I think you may at some point also have issues with the serpentine belt that drives the AC, it's an easy change, so might be worth fixing it ahead of time, instead of having it break on the road.

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »
I have a 190,000 mile 2009 sport 5-speed.  Second owner, drove from 150 to 190.  I've had to replace the: clutch fluid (yes there is specific clutch fluid) and alternator.  Re-round the rear drum brakes because of a wobble.  And finally, check out the headliner underneath the rear antenna.  My antenna boot started to lift off the metal roof and leaked some water into the headliner.  Recently used glass sealer to reseal it and placed an aftermarket color matched sharkfin over it.  Double protection, shouldn't leak.

I think on average I spend 100 to 150 per year on honda fit maintenance.  Pretty solid if you ask me.  I think clutches themselves can last the life of the car as long as the driver knows how to shift. 

I love the car because it is the ultimate tool-car.  Beat the hell out of it and it keeps going.  Super cheap insurance.  Doesn't hurt that it looks pleasant, and fun to drive fast around corners.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 04:22:23 AM »
I think clutches themselves can last the life of the car as long as the driver knows how to shift. 

Depends on what you consider to be the life of a car, and where you live. A friend of mine just rolled past 600,000 in his Insight and plans to keep it a lot longer. I live in the mountains, which isn't clutch friendly. I suppose it helps that the Fit has a real granny first.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 06:48:33 AM »
I've owned a 2007 and a 2008. I let the 2007 go way too young (4 years, 60k) and other than tires and oil changes it was basically still stock (and it still felt new!) Later I got a 2008 and drove it for 2 years. Sold it to my sister with about 90k on it after putting on new tires, installing new ignition coils (about $53 each!) and new spark plugs. At ~110k now and she just had A/C work done as well as new brakes and rotors. Engine and transmission still solid. 200k seems like a lot but then again I once had a 1985 Honda with nearly that many miles. It did finally lose a transmission around then. Anyway, on top of KBB, open up AutoTrader/Cars.com/etc and expand your search to just get a good idea of what everyone is asking for similar cars. Then negotiate just a bit and enjoy the ride :)

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 09:29:23 AM »
Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback and my concern about mountain driving was addressed too (without even asking) It looks like the FIT may be a good fit. hahaha and most importantly, it drives fast around corners.

I will keep in mind about the clutch and the belt and the headliner (although I'm not entirely sure what that is).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!