Author Topic: 2006 Civic - keep or trade?  (Read 3994 times)

Case

• Pencil Stache
2006 Civic - keep or trade?
« on: June 19, 2017, 12:54:33 PM »
We have a 2006 Civic.  We are considering trading it in.  It has good gas efficiency and relatively low mileage (70k miles), but has some trouble with snow in our snowy area (very low to the ground vehicle), and has been requiring a number of repairs lately:

1.  Shocks need to be replaced
2.  clear coat is degrading (sun exposure over the years)... possibly I can refinish this myself but it's unclear to me if the damage is just on the clear coat or if it goes deeper.
3.  Recently the airbag light went on, so we have to take it back to the dealership (they just replaced the airbag due to a recall).
4.  Recently replaced the brake pads.

So the question is whether to keep this car, or buy a new/used car which can handle snow better (we can always get snow tires; the issue with the Civic seems to be it gets stuck often because it is very low to the ground and bottoms out).

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
Re: 2006 Civic - keep or trade?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:34:08 PM »
Where do you live?  "Because snow" is kind of a lame excuse for a new vehicle.  The shocks and pads are items that are meant to be replaced on a schedule so that should not be a surprise to anyone.  The air bag should cost you $0 and the paint is cosmetic and a wash and a wax could go a long ways.  I would say it's a great vehicle and you should keep it.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »
Where do you live that they don't plow? Sure get snow tires. I never had them in Mpls with my 03 civic, but I probably will get them now that we are moving back.

That is all regular maintenance. Not a sign that the car is falling apart.

Except the clear coat. That you can DIY but it's probably pretty cheap to have a paint shop do it. Mine has been degrading but I don't care. Mine is older and has a lot more miles though.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »
Yeah, none of those are real problems.  Replace the shocks, take it back to the dealer to fix the airbag dealy, maybe do some touchup paint, and drive in another 200,000 miles.  Get snow tires if you're paranoid about snow.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »
Get rid of it. That gen has engine issues. Unless it's already been fixed.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/2006/engine/

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »
+1 keeping the car. Why would you trade in a 11yr old Civic with only 70k miles.

Replace the shocks, have the dealer figure out your airbag problem, give the car a wax, and keep driving it. A new Civic will cost you lots of money. That would be dumb.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 06:20:12 PM »
Airbag light on means that your airbag system is not active, and airbags will not deploy in the event of a crash. Probably want to get this taken care of right away.
My vote is to keep the car for at least another 200,000 miles.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 07:14:35 AM »

Any idea what the statistics on this issue are?

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:19:18 AM »
We have a 2006 Civic.  We are considering trading it in.  It has good gas efficiency and relatively low mileage (70k miles), but has some trouble with snow in our snowy area (very low to the ground vehicle), and has been requiring a number of repairs lately:

1.  Shocks need to be replaced
2.  clear coat is degrading (sun exposure over the years)... possibly I can refinish this myself but it's unclear to me if the damage is just on the clear coat or if it goes deeper.
3.  Recently the airbag light went on, so we have to take it back to the dealership (they just replaced the airbag due to a recall).
4.  Recently replaced the brake pads.

So the question is whether to keep this car, or buy a new/used car which can handle snow better (we can always get snow tires; the issue with the Civic seems to be it gets stuck often because it is very low to the ground and bottoms out).

Thanks for all of the replies.  We had considered most of these factors.  In regards to the snow comments, it's not simply getting a new car to address snow driving problems.  In particular, it is getting stuck in snow due to the car bottoming out, because the 2006 civic is quite low to the ground (part of the reason it has good gas mileage, I assume).  We live in snowy MI, but there is decent plowing in out city.  But, the problem is that plows make large snow banks on the side of the road, so that when we are turning off of a small neighborhood road onto a main road, a snow bank must be passed.  On occasion, my wife gets stuck because of this and brings a shovel with her to dig our the snow from underneath the car (where she bottoms out).  Will snow tires give enough traction to pull out of this?  It's not as simple as just driving on snowy streets.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 07:59:25 AM »

Any idea what the statistics on this issue are?

No sorry. But why take the risk - there are enough threads all over the internet, and the warranty was extended. You may be just fine.

privatevoid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 08:53:25 AM »
I hope the airbag is covered! Brakes are routine and important maintenance. I don't often see the shocks go out on Honda Civics, but they are parts that wear out. I would see it as an opportunity to get some sweet aftermarket shocks for my Civic, if it were me; I wouldn't replace the car.

On occasion, my wife gets stuck because of this and brings a shovel with her to dig our the snow from underneath the car (where she bottoms out).  Will snow tires give enough traction to pull out of this

This sounds like a good solution to me! They probably will, I'd give it a shot next season.

FYI, Consumer Reports corroborates this claim, but still gave the car "above average" in the engine department which probably means it doesn't happen all the time.  I'd inquire at the dealer if there is preventative maintenance that can be done to avoid it. I think 2006 was the first year they made that style Civic. Also, Civic paint jobs fading seems to be pretty normal as well.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:21:15 AM by privatevoid »

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 02:52:43 PM »
I have a 2006 Civic I bought new and love with about 80k miles.  You should keep it.  Some important things:

1.  Most shocks shouldn't need to be replaced this early.  What makes you think they are done?  Sleezy mechanics will tell you this to try to gouge you for uneeded work.  You can also do it yourself and save some money.
2.  The clear coat failure is a manufacturing defect that was recalled.  You could have got it replaced for free, but have missed the window.  http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1092810_2006-2013-honda-civics-will-get-extended-paint-warranty
My car did it along with 3 of my friends.  I missed the recall period by a couple months, but Honda still paid half.  It is worth having done as it only gets much worse.  Go to a deal and ask if Honda will work with you on it as you didn't get notified.
3.  This is a installation problem, take it back to the dealer that installed it and have them fix it for free.
4.  Break pads are consumable.  Change them yourself for $20 a piece from Autozone and you can take them back for lifetime replacements.
5.  Snow, yes this car is poor in snow.  However, a lot depends on tires.  Put snow tires on and it fairs decently.  It will never be an all drive wheel vehicle.

My civic has been a dream to maintain.  Working on it is such a breeze compared to my wife's subaru and friends vehicles.  Mine has been through three significant accidents and just keeps on trucking (only one with me driving and other two was other drivers fault).

Edit:  That site about engine problems is kind of bias.  Civic is one of the most common vehicles out there especially that year, so yeah there are going to be reports of engine problems.  Given the millions that are out there and only 159 reporting engine block crack? 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:57:55 PM by EricEng »

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 09:16:22 AM »
I have a 2006 Civic I bought new and love with about 80k miles.  You should keep it.  Some important things:

1.  Most shocks shouldn't need to be replaced this early.  What makes you think they are done?  Sleezy mechanics will tell you this to try to gouge you for uneeded work.  You can also do it yourself and save some money.
2.  The clear coat failure is a manufacturing defect that was recalled.  You could have got it replaced for free, but have missed the window.  http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1092810_2006-2013-honda-civics-will-get-extended-paint-warranty
My car did it along with 3 of my friends.  I missed the recall period by a couple months, but Honda still paid half.  It is worth having done as it only gets much worse.  Go to a deal and ask if Honda will work with you on it as you didn't get notified.
3.  This is a installation problem, take it back to the dealer that installed it and have them fix it for free.
4.  Break pads are consumable.  Change them yourself for $20 a piece from Autozone and you can take them back for lifetime replacements.
5.  Snow, yes this car is poor in snow.  However, a lot depends on tires.  Put snow tires on and it fairs decently.  It will never be an all drive wheel vehicle.

My civic has been a dream to maintain.  Working on it is such a breeze compared to my wife's subaru and friends vehicles.  Mine has been through three significant accidents and just keeps on trucking (only one with me driving and other two was other drivers fault).

Edit:  That site about engine problems is kind of bias.  Civic is one of the most common vehicles out there especially that year, so yeah there are going to be reports of engine problems.  Given the millions that are out there and only 159 reporting engine block crack?

@ #4 -  Please dont buy autozone brake pads.  They suck.  Compare it to any decent brake pad or oem and it looks like they swept the factory floor then dumped it into a brake mold.      IMO - better to buy good brake pads then have a lifetime of replacing sub standard ones.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!