Author Topic: 2000 Shares XOM  (Read 2253 times)

Freddie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2000 Shares XOM
« on: June 24, 2017, 08:48:26 AM »
Anyone want to share what he/she would do with 2000 shares of XOM held directly (i.e., not in a qualified account), assuming you'd like to have the money aid the transition from full-time work to part-time work?  Options, obviously, include (1) hold for now (dividends = approx. $1,500 per quarter), (2) use the money to buy other "traditional" investments, and (3) use the money to buy rental property or aid the purchase of a business or side-hustle.  There would be some capital gains tax upon sale, but nothing too dramatic.  I know the person's particular circumstances (most of which are not provided here) impact the decision, but I'd like to know what the board would do.   Thanks a lot.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
Re: 2000 Shares XOM
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 10:25:22 AM »
It would depend on just how big the capital gains were and what percentage of my portfolio it was.  If under 5%, I'd just hold the shares.  If above that, I'd diversify into VTI, VIG, or VWELX

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
Personally, I'd be selling them tomorrow.  When the money settles, I'd transfer it to my checking account, send in $6500 to Fidelity to fund my Roth for the year and then use the rest for the kids' tuition payments.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 04:02:33 PM »
Given the uncertainty with the energy and oil out there, I would sell them immediately.

As a matter of fact, I did just that back in December.  I had around 200 shares of XOM that were gifted to me back in the mid-90s.  I sold them around $90/share, and the money has been happily growing as VTSAX while XOM declined by $10/share.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 10:56:27 PM »
...assuming you'd like to have the money aid the transition from full-time work to part-time work?
There would be some capital gains tax upon sale, but nothing too dramatic.
If by "aid" you mean "pay essentially all expenses not covered by part-time work until a Roth pipeline starts producing or age 59.5 happens", and
if by "nothing too dramatic" you mean less than $10K capital gain on the ~$164000 gross proceeds, then
I'd sell it all and put the money into something very safe, e.g., one of The Best Online Savings Accounts in June 2017.

If you meant something else, please advise....

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!