Author Topic: 10k in vanguard IRA  (Read 2708 times)

finitelement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
10k in vanguard IRA
« on: February 25, 2015, 10:32:37 AM »
I will be able to put in the money to get me to 10k worth in my vanguard IRA account this year.  Right now I have the vanguard 2050 funds.  Should I transfer it over to VTSAX without having any international stocks?  Or better to wait for 20k to be able to fund both VTSAX and VTIAX.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: 10k in vanguard IRA
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 10:50:37 AM »
What do you think? Do you think you should have international stocks in your portfolio? If so, what percentage should you own? Whatever you decide, go with that. Don't worry too much about whether you can afford admiral shares this year. It's okay to buy investor shares for now and upgrade to admiral shares when you can afford them. If your investor shares have a 0.1% higher expense ratio than the admiral shares, you'll pay an extra $10 this year on your $10k investment. Isn't diversification worth $10?

finitelement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 11:10:56 AM »
70% domestic, 30% international... However, I may just keep my target fund for now.  There is only a small percentage of bonds

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:13:08 AM »
Stick with the Target Date fund for now until you can properly diversify. Unless your portfolio is already diversified in other investment accounts, and putting your IRA money in VTSAX helps achieve your desired AA of 70/30.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »
70% domestic, 30% international... However, I may just keep my target fund for now.  There is only a small percentage of bonds

Sounds like a fine plan. The target date fund buys investor shares in a ratio that's reasonably close to your ideal allocation. Once 70% of your portfolio becomes higher than $10k, you may revisit your decision; buy $10k worth of VTSAX to get lower fees on the domestic stock portion of your portfolio and put the rest in the total international fund's investor shares.