Author Topic: 1,000mi trip; rent or personal vehicle?  (Read 2968 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
1,000mi trip; rent or personal vehicle?
« on: May 07, 2017, 12:32:31 PM »
Just wanted some feedback here on my decision:

I need to make a business trip where I'll be driving ~1,000 miles in three days. My current 12yr old vehicle isn't terribly fuel efficient (mpg 24 at best) and I'm not terribly keen to put another 1k miles on the odometer, so I'm thinking of renting for this trip:

Numbers:
My vehicle would use 42 gal fuel.  @ Current prices that's $100.
Depreciation is essentially flat on my vehicle given its age and the fact that we're going to keep it until it rusts apart.
Rental would use 28 gal fuel ($67/fuel) and cost $117 to rent (tax etc. included).
Insurance: non-issue since my policy includes rentals.

Therefore: Renting will cost $84 more out of pocket. I'm thinking that's more than worth it to avoid the wear-and-tear on my vehicle.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 1,000mi trip; rent or personal vehicle?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »
I would estimate around 25 cents per gallon as the cost of driving your own car, not just the price of gas.  This would favor the rental.

If this is a business trip, are you being reimbursed for the cost of getting there?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 01:17:21 PM »
If this is a business trip, are you being reimbursed for the cost of getting there?
Sadly no. I could deduct it from taxes but given the amount I'm likely to pay in tax year 2017 I think it's a non-issue.

lukebuz

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 01:23:26 PM »
I'd say you come out ahead with 1,000 miles and $84.  Oil, Tires, Depreciation...

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 05:04:10 PM »
How are the tires on your current vehicle?

Driving long highway trips is... well, not 'good' for a vehicle (unless it's a diesel that needs 'cleaning out'), but certainly less stress than 1000 miles of puttering around town. It'll get everything up to a really good temperature, get moisture out, etc.

I'd certainly take my own vehicle. If you're in QC it'll likely rust out before it 'dies' anyway... well, that's an assumption as I don't know how you look after it (rustproofing), store it (garage), maintain it, etc. But... for the hassle of getting, faffing with rental company, etc, I'd just get in my own car and drive.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »

Driving long highway trips is... well, not 'good' for a vehicle (unless it's a diesel that needs 'cleaning out'), but certainly less stress than 1000 miles of puttering around town. It'll get everything up to a really good temperature, get moisture out, etc.

I'd certainly take my own vehicle. If you're in QC it'll likely rust out before it 'dies' anyway... well, that's an assumption as I don't know how you look after it (rustproofing), store it (garage), maintain it, etc. But... for the hassle of getting, faffing with rental company, etc, I'd just get in my own car and drive.

That's debatable, really.  Sitting for long periods of time isn't good for a vehicle, short trips where it doesn't get up to temperature are not good for a vehicle, heavy stop/go isn't good for a vehicle...one could argue that long highway trips are the best thing you could do with it.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »

That's debatable, really.  Sitting for long periods of time isn't good for a vehicle, short trips where it doesn't get up to temperature are not good for a vehicle, heavy stop/go isn't good for a vehicle...one could argue that long highway trips are the best thing you could do with it.

Right.. I was originally going to say 'good' but thought I'd be corrected that 'doing long trips does put wear and tear on a vehicle'. That's correct, but, as you say, better than sitting doing nothing day in, day out.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 05:24:47 PM »

Right.. I was originally going to say 'good' but thought I'd be corrected that 'doing long trips does put wear and tear on a vehicle'. That's correct, but, as you say, better than sitting doing nothing day in, day out.

Cars are funny that way...haha. Don't use them and they can wear out worse than they do if you do use them.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 06:37:58 AM »

Tires are fine - new last year.  We probably have more mileage/kilometerage on them than on the car itself. At 12 years and almost 200k miles (300k km) we should be able to get another 3 years out of her... with our current driving habits we only put about 5,000/year. Just another way where I'm not sure there's much depreciation on this vehicle if I'm never expecting to replace the tires again and I've already factored in the fuel differences.

AS for rust - yes the car is developing rust, but isn't as bad as one might think since the first 8 years were spent in California. My mechanic doesn't seem overly concerned about the rust and agrees we've got at least another 3 years.  As for normal driving we almost never make short trips (we walk, take the bus or ride bikes for that) - almost all the driving we do is 30 minute+ trips mostly on highways to go camping or skiing. No, it's not diesel.

My company has a contract with a rental agency so its never been a hassle; I'm in their system and its within walking distance of my home.

I'm probably just overthinking this.  I'm good at that :-P