Author Topic: [UPDATE] Tiffany bracelets and Dom Perignon -- How to sell this shit?  (Read 14995 times)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
So I just got a new job about 6 weeks ago.  We had our company holiday dinner last night, and in lieu of a bonus check, we got stuff.  In this case, I received a Tiffany Bracelet, a bottle of 2004 Dom Perignon, and a fancy scarf by some italian designer.  The bracelet retails for almost $1000.00 (!) and the champaign is at least $150, if not $200.  I couldn't find the equivalent scarf, so I'll ignore that for now.

I know what you're thinking.  Look at Eric with his fancy Tiffany bracelet that he's going to start wearing everyday and his wine rack with fancy Dom.  BUT NO!  In a shocking turn of events, I want to figure out how to liquidate this fancy crap for cash.

What are my options here?  I'm pretty sure I don't want to put a $1000 item on Ebay and risk ending up with nothing due to Ebay's "buyer is always right even if they're a scammer" official policy.  I could return it to the Tiffany store, but I'm sure I'd only get store credit and then end up having to get some other slightly less worthless item.  I'm not really well versed in where people would shop for shit like this.  Anyone have any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:12:26 PM by Eric »

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Tiffany bracelets and Dom Perignon -- How to sell this shit?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »
Step 1: Buy a trenchcoat
Step 2: Hang all the items you won from the inside of the trenchcoat
Step 3: Work the corner
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »
I'd have no problem putting the bracelet on EBay.  Just be sure you are eligible for PayPal seller protection.  Ship with insurance / signature confirmation.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 11:41:02 AM »
Good Lord, it's Christmas and New Year's coming up. Drink the champagne!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 11:43:38 AM »
I could return it to the Tiffany store, but I'm sure I'd only get store credit and then end up having to get some other slightly less worthless item.

Did you actually check the policy, or just assume? If the latter, then go actually check it first.

Otherwise, can you return it to the employer, explaining that you'd rather have cash instead? (I assume not, since the kind of place that would give such gifts is obviously preoccupied with appearances, but I figured I'd better ask anyway.)

Beyond that, I don't know. Maybe go to the fanciest part of town and find a high-end consignment store to sell it for you? (At least for the bracelet and scarf.) Maybe some particularly-snooty wine store or restaurant would want the champagne?

I know what you're thinking.  Look at Eric with his fancy Tiffany bracelet that he's going to start wearing everyday and his wine rack with fancy Dom.  BUT NO!  In a shocking turn of events, I want to figure out how to liquidate this fancy crap for cash.

Don't worry; we can tell you aren't the kind of guy to get fancy with your "champaign." ; )

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 11:46:37 AM »
This is weak, imagine they send you a 1099 and tax you on that shit too?

I won a gift card for being a sales MVP last quarter.....$250 GC.....had to pay $120 in taxes for it......wtf

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »
Tiffany's return policy. Doesn't look like you can return it for cash (exchange or store credit only), unless your company issues you a sales receipt in which case it would be refunded back to the company first.

It's probably worth it to just ask HR if there's a way to receive cash instead. Tell them you have no need of such things. Or even better, tell them you NEED cash instead for car payments / mortgage / christmas presents or whatever it is that sounds acceptable to the regular HR person.

Last resort is listing on Ebay, Craigslist, or even Facebook (if you're that kind of person). You almost certainly wont get the full value of the bracelet, but any cash is more useful than a piece of pretty metal you didn't intentionally purchase.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 11:54:57 AM »

I won a gift card for being a sales MVP last quarter.....$250 GC.....had to pay $120 in taxes for it......wtf

They withheld $120 in taxes for it, but that doesn't mean you'll actually owe that much.

I got my bonus the other day, and it still had Federal and state income tax withheld from it even though it got allocated 100% to my 401K.

Of course, the fact that you can't put a Tiffany bracelet in a 401K is a legitimate kick in the teeth...

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 11:57:21 AM »

Luckily if you sell a tangible item on an open-market place like eBay, you can make a very good case that the amount to be taxed is not full retail, but the $$$ received from sale. 

On a gift card, that basically is cash, but if it is a GC to somewhere you wouldn't spend it, maybe you can make the same argument after liquidating?  Maybe not.  Perhaps one of resident CPAs knows the answer.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »
Tiffany's return policy. Doesn't look like you can return it for cash (exchange or store credit only), unless your company issues you a sales receipt in which case it would be refunded back to the company first.

It's probably worth it to just ask HR if there's a way to receive cash instead. Tell them you have no need of such things. Or even better, tell them you NEED cash instead for car payments / mortgage / christmas presents or whatever it is that sounds acceptable to the regular HR person.

Last resort is listing on Ebay, Craigslist, or even Facebook (if you're that kind of person). You almost certainly wont get the full value of the bracelet, but any cash is more useful than a piece of pretty metal you didn't intentionally purchase.
If you return the bracelet to get store credit (and could get it put on several gift certificates), you could sell the gift certificates to a site for about 80% of the value. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
I'd totally sell the bracelet and drink the bottle.  No way in hell I'd ever spend that much on a bottle of bubbly... but if someone gave it to me, I'd probably drink it.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 12:16:27 PM »
I'd have no problem putting the bracelet on EBay.  Just be sure you are eligible for PayPal seller protection.  Ship with insurance / signature confirmation.

I've heard/read a lot of horror stories of Ebay buyers simply stating that "the condition was not as described" and Ebay immediately refunds their purchase amount so now they have the cash back and the item.  They then "return" the item by sending an empty box back to the seller so then they have a tracking number and a confirmed return.  The seller ends up with squat, as it's now a my word against your word situation.

I just read (briefly) through the seller protection portion of the Ebay website and nothing in there gives me any confidence that they protect against the above scenario.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »
I've never had that kind of problem selling on ebay.  But they take a hefty cut (10% to ebay, 2.9% + $0.30 to paypal.)  Sell it on craigslist or on a fb yardsale site.  Prepare to let it go for significantly less than retail.

Quinn

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 12:23:39 PM »

If you return the bracelet to get store credit (and could get it put on several gift certificates), you could sell the gift certificates to a site for about 80% of the value.
^ This is probably the best idea so far.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »
Pawn shop?

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 12:36:31 PM »
I would drink the champagne (cause I loooooove it) and sell the bracelet locally on Craigslist or equivalent.  Make the meeting place in the lobby of a police station.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 12:39:37 PM »
I wonder by the time you have to pay taxes on (presumably) the full retail price, then you have to sell it for less than what you get taxed on.. Well I wonder if it might be better just to give it back to the company?

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 12:41:59 PM »
Drink the champagne.  If you like it, great, you got a fancy bottle for free.  If you hate it, it just reinforces your thoughts that fancypants champagne is not something you need in your life.

Take the bracelet to a few pawn shops or jewelry stores and have them make you an offer.  Essentially, you say it has no value to you, so whatever you end up getting is gravy.  You can try to go a more labor-intensive route (eBay, consignment store, etc.) but why bother.

Give the scarf away to a female relative for the brownie points.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 12:47:31 PM »
I wonder by the time you have to pay taxes on (presumably) the full retail price, then you have to sell it for less than what you get taxed on.. Well I wonder if it might be better just to give it back to the company?

I won't get taxed on it.  This was definitely an under the table transaction.  Any amount it sells for will be straight profit.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »

Return for credit is only available if your company purchased the bracelet within 30 days, though. In case they stocked up earlier, you'd be SOL for this route.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »

Return for credit is only available if your company purchased the bracelet within 30 days, though. In case they stocked up earlier, you'd be SOL for this route.

How would they know?  I don't have a receipt.  The bracelets could've been purchased at any Tiffany location across the country, not just where I live as we have small offices spaced throughout the country (and world).  I think that portion must only apply to return for cash, not return for store credit.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 01:23:58 PM »

How would they know?  I don't have a receipt.  The bracelets could've been purchased at any Tiffany location across the country, not just where I live as we have small offices spaced throughout the country (and world).  I think that portion must only apply to return for cash, not return for store credit.

Good point, I wasn't using my brain there. How would they know?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »

Good point, I wasn't using my brain there. How would they know?

Maybe.... "We haven't sold that item since 2013."

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 01:31:07 PM »
If it's legit Tiffany, try listing on www.LoupeTroop.com or www.DiamondBistro.com - both are frequented by online jewelry aficionados (trust me, I'm one of them). Describe how you acquired it and that you don't need it. Accept reasonable offers. Use PayPal.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:33:07 PM by rubybeth »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 02:37:39 PM »
If you're interested in selling the champagne, https://www.klwines.com/SellYourWines

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 02:51:12 PM »
If you're interested in selling the champagne, https://www.klwines.com/SellYourWines

Oooh, thanks!  I can even swing by there in person at some point.

Rubyist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »
If you want to be super lazy, keep the champagne to regift the next time you're expected to give someone an expensive gift.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 04:12:10 PM »
UPDATE!!

In case you're wondering on my progress, I took the bracelet to the local Tiffany store a couple of weeks ago.  After talking with the sales rep, giving them some names that could've been the purchaser, they were able to verify the purchase even without a receipt.  I was then authorized for store credit.  Good, but not great.  Next I mentioned that I wanted to gift this store credit to my sister back East, and was able to sweet talk the rep into getting the store credit in gift card form.  I sold the gift card online and recieved $901 (!) yesterday.  This is pretty much the best possible outcome.  I used that money to purchase some sweet sweet VTSAX today.

Thanks everyone for all your help.  I'm still working on getting rid of the Dom, but I think I can offload that on Craigslist.  If not, then I'll go through the KL wine buyer above.  Although a number of you mentioned you'd drink it, so maybe if you're in the Silicon Valley area and want a really nice bottle of Dom for $100, hit me up. ;)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
[UPDATE] Tiffany bracelets and Dom Perignon -- How to sell this shit?
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 04:18:15 PM »
If the bracelet was Tiffany and the champagne was Dom, the scarf was probably Hermes if it's a floral or Burberry if it's a plaid. Those sell for hundreds, and you should be able to get cash or store credit on them, too. Better yet, why not post a photo of the scarf? We could crowd source an ID.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
Re: [UPDATE] Tiffany bracelets and Dom Perignon -- How to sell this shit?
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 04:54:51 PM »
If the bracelet was Tiffany and the champagne was Dom, the scarf was probably Hermes if it's a floral or Burberry if it's a plaid. Those sell for hundreds, and you should be able to get cash or store credit on them, too. Better yet, why not post a photo of the scarf? We could crowd source an ID.

That's a good thought!  I do have the designer name.   I looked him/her up.  I want to say it's Devi Kroell?  It's Devi something.  I did some searching online, but it doesn't look like it'll be worth much.  It's really not a very nice scarf.  It's stiff and thin.  Such a wierd combo!  But I'll give it another shot before putting it in the Goodwill bag though.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
UPDATE!!

In case you're wondering on my progress, I took the bracelet to the local Tiffany store a couple of weeks ago.  After talking with the sales rep, giving them some names that could've been the purchaser, they were able to verify the purchase even without a receipt.  I was then authorized for store credit.  Good, but not great.  Next I mentioned that I wanted to gift this store credit to my sister back East, and was able to sweet talk the rep into getting the store credit in gift card form.  I sold the gift card online and recieved $901 (!) yesterday.  This is pretty much the best possible outcome.  I used that money to purchase some sweet sweet VTSAX today.

Thanks everyone for all your help.  I'm still working on getting rid of the Dom, but I think I can offload that on Craigslist.  If not, then I'll go through the KL wine buyer above.  Although a number of you mentioned you'd drink it, so maybe if you're in the Silicon Valley area and want a really nice bottle of Dom for $100, hit me up. ;)

High five!  Nice job on the bracelet!  It sounds like you got maximum value out of it and $901 into VTSAX today is some delicious happiness.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2016, 09:48:50 PM »
You're definitely working for this bonus!  How many hours are you putting in to get rid of all this stuff?  It's a shame they couldn't have given you unreported cash instead of unreported gifts...  (Good for you, though!)

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2016, 08:43:46 AM »

That's a good thought!  I do have the designer name.   I looked him/her up.  I want to say it's Devi Kroell?  It's Devi something.  I did some searching online, but it doesn't look like it'll be worth much.  It's really not a very nice scarf.  It's stiff and thin.  Such a wierd combo!  But I'll give it another shot before putting it in the Goodwill bag though.

Could it be silk?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »
If the one I linked to is any indication, it's silk and sells for $80 used.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
If the one I linked to is any indication, it's silk and sells for $80 used.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »
I sold the gift card online and recieved $901 (!) yesterday.  This is pretty much the best possible outcome.  I used that money to purchase some sweet sweet VTSAX today.

High five! From a Mustachian girl named Tiffany (yes I was named after the jewelry store, and my brother's name is Eric.. weird!?).  VTSAX is so much better! LOL

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2016, 02:09:56 AM »

Hah! I stumbled across this thread and I have a fancy bottle of Dom Perignon (2003) that I don't know what to do with either. My best guess was to find some special occasion and drink it. Did you ever find a good place to unload it, or what's a suitable occasion to drink it?

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2016, 11:41:49 AM »
Now I'm so preoccupied for what kind of company you work for/what industry you're in.

These gifts seem so lavish and....hugely impractical. I mean, some people actually don't even drink alcohol.

Glad you came out ahead though; great job!

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2016, 11:55:46 AM »
Hold on... Eric, you received a scarf, a tiffany bracelet and a bottle of champagne from your employer?

Are you a woman?

Glad you could get rig of the bracelet!

Did you end up drinking the bubbles? Maybe worth a try to exchange the champagne for 5-10 good bottles of red....

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 06:39:20 PM »
Props on the bracelet>>gift card>>VTSAX conversion.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 10:22:36 AM »

Hah! I stumbled across this thread and I have a fancy bottle of Dom Perignon (2003) that I don't know what to do with either. My best guess was to find some special occasion and drink it. Did you ever find a good place to unload it, or what's a suitable occasion to drink it?

I haven't attempted to sell the Dom yet.  I'm about to put it up on Craigslist and hope someone will buy it for Valnetine's Day.  I'm thinking I'll list it in the Jewelry section.  If it doesn't sell, then I'm not sure.  Maybe the KL Wines link above.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:32:14 AM by Eric »

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 10:23:31 AM »
Hold on... Eric, you received a scarf, a tiffany bracelet and a bottle of champagne from your employer?

Are you a woman?

Glad you could get rig of the bracelet!

Did you end up drinking the bubbles? Maybe worth a try to exchange the champagne for 5-10 good bottles of red....

It was a unisex bracelet.  :)  We all got one.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2016, 10:48:40 AM »

I haven't attempted to sell the Dom yet.  I'm about to put it up on Craigslist and hope someone will buy it for Valnetine's Day.  I'm thinking I'll list it in the Jewelry section.  If it doesn't sell, then I'm not sure.  Maybe the KL Wines link above.

Craigslist for Valentine's Day. Not a bad idea. What are you pricing it at?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2016, 11:21:45 AM »
Craigslist for Valentine's Day. Not a bad idea. What are you pricing it at?

I think $100.  Maybe $120 so they can talk me down to $100.  Makes everyone happy. 

Not sure if it will be seen or not though, since there's no alcohol section and it's probably technically illegal to sell it on CL, so it might get flagged off.  Only one way to find out!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2016, 12:44:59 PM »
Suggestion for the Dom Perignon:  Charity auction, then take the tax credit.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »

I like this idea.. now where's the Craigslist to find local charity auctions :)

Or Eric and I could provide champagne and we could have the MMM meet-up with the classiest booze around.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 04:09:30 PM »

Not a bad general suggestion, but I'm a standard deduction guy personally, so deductible tax credits are of no help personally.

Or Eric and I could provide champagne and we could have the MMM meet-up with the classiest booze around.

If I can't sell it, that's a mighty fine idea!  Maybe we should save them in case if MMM himself ever comes back around...

Larsg

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2016, 12:39:12 AM »
I would try the amazon market place. It's super easy to sell things. I have sold a few times - Books, some small, "like new"appliances, etc. I have never had any returns yet and have been surprised that I have gotten purchasers. Most important is to make sure you check your personal mail in case you do get a hit (buy). Be completely honest on the description, you can insure it and is another channel to check out.

Good luck!

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2016, 03:22:31 AM »
probably sold this by now...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!