Author Topic: (Men's wardrobe) Rationalizing socks  (Read 1673 times)

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
(Men's wardrobe) Rationalizing socks
« on: August 16, 2020, 08:37:14 AM »
Does anyone have any good sock suggestions? And the best price it typically goes to?

I'm in the US. So I need something that either sells here, or will ship here.

I want to throw away all my current socks and buy new. The goal is to make sure I don't need to do any pairing after laundry (something I absolutely hate). I'd also want something that is versatile - i.e. dark colored such that nobody would be the wiser if I wear them as dress socks, and yet comfortable enough to use as everyday socks.

So far, most of my socks purchases have been from random stores and all different brands. I want to rationalize down to just one variety now.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache

Blue Skies

• Stubble
Re: (Men's wardrobe) Rationalizing socks
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 12:18:23 PM »
My DH loves these:
https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/gold-toe-harrington-mens-crew-socks---6-pack/414022?activeColor=970
DSW sends out $10 off a $10 purchase coupons often enough he can usually use those on all his socks.

red_pill

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 01:19:33 PM »
Hold on.... what kind and color of shoes are you wearing with these? 

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 02:15:10 PM »

Most of the time dark colored shoes.

When I am not at work (I WFH a lot) - mostly sneakers. e.g. https://www.reebok.com/us/work-n-cushion-4-men-s-shoes/FU7355.html. I like these because they are very comfortable for everyday use, and yet I can sometimes sneak in at work, maybe on Fridays, wearing them without people giving me the side-eye.

When formal shoes are required, then mostly black (Allen Edmonds - Park/Strand/McAllister). But I do have one pair of walnut Park (https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/oxfords-derbys/park-avenue-cap-toe-oxford/SF270.html) with matching gear for special occasions (interviews, big meeting/presentations etc)..

I have never paid a huge amount of attention to socks so far. I just get something dark/black and that tends to go with everything.

red_pill

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 02:39:09 PM »
Honestly, if you are substituting running shoes for dress shoes and thinking you are getting away with it, then it doesn't matter what socks you are wearing because...well  let's call it how it is, you aren't fooling anyone.  Trust me, people notice those sneakers and your socks are the least of your worries.

I am a fashion minimalist as well, I don't need to be super trendy but there is a baseline that must be kept up. And there is no way to have one type of sock that will do for every occasion. So the omnibus solution will have significant (and disastrous) fashion repercussions.

Dress socks are dress socks, and that's it.  Athletic socks should only be low cut so they won't due.   And casual shoes that go with jeans would unlikely look good with dark socks.  And running shoes should never be worn with jeans.  Ever.  Maybe think about getting three different types of.socks and then all the same of those types. It would simply things while avoiding fashion faux pas. 

Unless you're over 60, then no one cares.

That said, Darn Tough makes great socks.  Maybe not as much cushion as you're looking for.  You could also look at various lightweight hiking socks from REI.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:51:21 PM by red_pill »

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 02:54:00 PM »
In my experience that depends a lot on the type of work you do and what social circles you live in. Being in IT in general I get away with a lot more than when I was working in a bank.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 10:00:47 AM »
These are my everyday socks. I have plantar fasciitis issues a few times a year and these have some compression that cups that area.  I probably wouldn’t wear them with a suit, but then I rarely wear a suit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5AWIJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 03:22:32 PM »
DARN TOUGH !! https://darntough.com

That's all you need to know. Have a look at their website and learn a bit about the different lengths, cushioning, and styles. They have everything from dress socks to socks for climbing Mount Everest. Then you can buy them on Amazon or wherever. 

At first I balked at paying $20+ for a pair of socks, but I will tell you, they are worth it! They are among the best products of any kind I have ever bought. Three or four years later they are still very comfortable, look great, and do not show the slightest sign of wear! They have a lifetime guarantee, and I've heard many people say they will last decades.

Being made of wool they do not pick up odors, you can even get away with wearing them twice or three times between washes. I do not normally do this, however, I try to pack very light when traveling overseas, and have had no qualms about bringing a dozen pairs of socks for a three-week trip (I HATE doing laundry when traveling).

If I could find other garments made to these standards, I would definitely buy them!

EDIT: I read a comment above about not enough cushion, but, even the middle-of-the road levels of cushion are very cushiony. If you buy full cushion, it will be a crazy amout of cushion, at least in my experience.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 03:28:26 PM by ObviouslyNotAGolfer »

mjb

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 03:38:58 PM »

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 03:48:01 PM »
Personally, I just use white Burlington socks. I'm with you, I hate having to pair up socks (wife, daughter, and youngest son all have multiple pairs of differing designs). I can't really use black socks for one reason. I have to label them Left and Right. A white sock with an L written in sharpie on the inside does the trick. The first wearing or two, it makes no difference. But eventually as they mold to your feet, it's really REALLY nice to not have them bunch up around the little toe. Technically I guess I am pairing them up, but ANY left sock can go with ANY right sock, as they're all a nice plain white. And when it's finally time to replace? I just right LT in one sock and RT in the other (vs L and R). The old pairs get packed up to go on a one-way trip for my next long vacation.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 04:47:48 PM »

Most of the time dark colored shoes.

When I am not at work (I WFH a lot) - mostly sneakers. e.g. https://www.reebok.com/us/work-n-cushion-4-men-s-shoes/FU7355.html. I like these because they are very comfortable for everyday use, and yet I can sometimes sneak in at work, maybe on Fridays, wearing them without people giving me the side-eye.

When formal shoes are required, then mostly black (Allen Edmonds - Park/Strand/McAllister). But I do have one pair of walnut Park (https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/oxfords-derbys/park-avenue-cap-toe-oxford/SF270.html) with matching gear for special occasions (interviews, big meeting/presentations etc)..

I have never paid a huge amount of attention to socks so far. I just get something dark/black and that tends to go with everything.
I used to just buy a couple of 20-packs of black crew socks and call it a day. Works fine if all you wear are black casual shoes (like your first pair), and avoid dress shoes (or yes, even try to pass off "nice" casuals in place of dress shoes on occasion).

But in your case, when you have really nice dress shoes1, then you should wear them! And that calls for dress socks; besides the general sacrilege of crew socks w/ AEs, proper dress shoes will be more comfortable when worn as designed, with appropriate thin socks. Maybe find a nice basic pair of dark gray dress socks2 and buy as many pairs as you can afford?

1Assuming they're also comfortable. But if you're paying hundreds of dollars for shoes like the ones you mentioned, then they certainly should be!

2Not black, unless all your dress pants are also black. Ideally the socks should go with the trousers, but at a minimum you want to avoid the "bootie" look with black socks and black dress shoes when wearing lighter-colored pants.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 05:06:08 PM »
Brand doesn't matter.  I buy 15 pairs of whatever socks seem to be OK quality and cheap.  Then I wear them until they're all threadbare and full of holes.  Then I buy another 15 pairs.

This way I never have to sort/match socks.  Probably saved years of my life by doing this.  :P

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 07:41:49 PM »
There was a sale on Calvin Klein socks at century 21 a few years ago. I bought about 50 pairs of black and 50 pairs of white athletic ankle socks. I also picked up a couple dozen pair of tall white socks to where with my work boots.

The key is to get a large quantity and pack most of them away. When they need replacing go grab a fresh pack. My white CK socks are getting worn out now and they don’t make the same ones anymore... sad.

This was all part of an effort to standardize my wardrobe:

I bought 20 black a-shirts, 5 packs of white tees, and 3 dozen pair of boxers from Costco.

I’ve now added 6 of the same style (different color) amazon basic polo shirts, 3 pairs of the same Levi jeans, and 3 pairs of tactical pants.

I donated of all my other button up shirts, polo shirts, and pants.

Now every day I can grab ANY shirt/pant/boxer/sock combination and I am good to go. Maybe that is boring for some of you, but for me I just want easy.

It’s the same as eating food - some people appreciate a gourmet meal, I mostly just want nutrients and calories for the least money and effort.

Edit: I also have a couple pairs of Darn Tough socks I use for skiing and hiking. They are great products, but too expensive to buy 10-15 pairs of the same socks.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 07:45:27 PM by Steeze »