Author Topic: Liquidating stock on an Australian exchange for an estate (!!!)  (Read 393 times)


  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 6716
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
Liquidating stock on an Australian exchange for an estate (!!!)
« on: October 05, 2021, 07:31:18 PM »
A relative of mine (in the US) purchased shares of an Australian company on the Australian stock exchange. Then the relative died. The executor of the estate is unsure how to sell these shares for USD so that they can be distributed 4 ways, and the value is only a couple thousand dollars so any attorney assistance would eat it up quickly. The shares are not in a brokerage, they are records at the registry company BoardRoom Ply Limited as "Estate Late DeceasedFirstName DeceasedLastName, C/O ExecutorFirstName ExecutorLastName".

My thought is to
1) set up a trust in my state,
2) set up an Interactive Brokers trust account in the name of the estate with the executor as trustee,
3) request a share transfer from BoardRoom Ply Limited to the IB account,
4) sell the shares for AUD,
5) convert the AUD to USD,
6) and transfer the USD to the estate's checking account.

Does this sound rational? Any unnecessary or missed steps?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 07:40:35 PM by ChpBstrd »


  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1153
Re: Liquidating stock on an Australian exchange for an estate (!!!)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 11:18:08 AM »
Has the executor checked with BoardRoom to see what they offer?  You can sometimes sell the shares directly through the registry.   Some US banks (I don't know if it's most or not) accept checks drawn on a foreign bank or issued in foreign currency,  you just take them to your local bank.

If both of these things are available, it sounds as easy as telling BoardRoom, I'm mr. ExecutorLastName, here is my ID, please liquidate the account, and mail me a check.  Then deposit the check into the existing estate checking account.

If not, I don't see how setting up a trust would help the process.  There is a thing called an "estate brokerage account" that's "designed for executors or court-appointed administrators of estates" according to Schwab.  They have an application online where you fill out the deceased's information, and your own.