Author Topic: "You know what you need?"  (Read 35698 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: "You know what you need?"
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2015, 07:55:15 AM »
Jesus.
as my friend says:  I found Jesus... nice guy, but we just never really clicked.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2015, 08:00:13 AM »
Most of my friends think I need to move to Phoenix.

CestMoi

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2015, 02:55:30 PM »
People are always telling me I need a tan.  It's not an obvious expenditure suggestion, until you start to figure in the price of skin cancer down the line.

Plus, I disagree; I like pale skin.

Ghzbani

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
My personal favorite from well-meaning friends who know I like investing:

"You need to buy X, I hear its doing really good right now."

Where X = whatever fad investment stock/fund/precious metal/etc. This one bothers me even more when they don't actually own any of 'X' themselves.

ENL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2015, 03:23:40 PM »
Ugh, I get this from my mom all the time.  My parents both grew up in homes where money was tight and have done very well financially in their adulthood.  So they (in my opinion) way overvalue having stuff and services provided to them.  They want me to continue to have the same standard of living they provided to me in my teens, but that's not really feasible since they had to work for many years as a dual income couple to acquire the level of wealth they have now.  I am a stay at home mom because I personally value being home with my kids more than the money I could get from working right now.  Also my husband and I being thirty have only had the opportunity to be in the workforce ~10 years so far (a lot of which was spent in a economic downturn so we didn't do as well as we could have done with jobs, promotions and our early investments.)

When I was looking for a place to live recently I NEEDED 4 bedrooms so that my son could have a room, we could have a nursery for the upcoming baby, and also have a guest room for her to stay in when the baby was born.  Also it needed to be a house and in a fancy neighborhood despite the fact that my husband and I had to keep our expenses down.  We are renting a two bedroom condo in a good but not fantastic area now and it drives her crazy.

She also tells me that I NEED:
-New furniture/decor for the new place
-To declaw my cats (to save the aformentioned new furniture that I need)
-To go to a hair salon to have my hair trimmed once a month
-To use fancy shampoo/conditioner.  (Paul Mitchell for a number of years, though now she is pushing WEN)
-To buy new clothes and shoes more often and from department stores. (In part so she can enjoy shopping with me more)
-To buy and wear makeup
-Fancy preschool/daycare for my 2&1/2 year old son
-To start working again so that I can afford more things
-A new and big car/SUV to drive the kids in so they will be "safe"

At least they have backed down a lot from my college days when they basically wanted to map out my entire life for me.  I have gotten a LOT of bad financial advice from them over the years because they forget that I don't always have the resources yet to make certain investments.  I had to stop getting advice from them after they talked me into buying a house in 2007 with 0% down.  At least I settled on a starter home rather than the huge house they were gunning for, but based on the timing of my purchase I'll leave you to guess how well THAT investment went.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2015, 04:17:13 PM »
I just realised that my mother has always said I need - a spare bedroom (complete with a proper queen sized bed), a bigger car, and to do something with my hair.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2015, 04:24:27 PM »
If someone ever tells me that I'm going to respond: "What I *need* is to retire."

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
My favorite response when someone says I need something is 'why, what will happen if I don't get it?'.  Used this every time someone would tell me I needed a smartphone, never got a response back.

ENL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2015, 04:34:42 PM »
I forgot the craziest ones!  According to my mother I also need several elective surgeries including:

-Lasik
-Tubal ligation
-A cesarian for my current pregnancy
-A tummy tuck to correct the minor diatasis recti that occurred after my first pregnancy (and will likely be worse after my current one).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:37:04 PM by Evil Number Lady »

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »
I forgot the craziest ones!  According to my mother I also need several elective surgeries including:

-Lasik
-Tubal ligation
-A cesarian for my current pregnancy
-A tummy tuck to correct the minor diatasis recti that occurred after my first pregnancy (and will likely be worse after my current one).

Ask her to pay for it as a new baby/mommy makeover present.

ENL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2015, 05:57:27 PM »
Ask her to pay for it as a new baby/mommy makeover present.

Maybe she just wants me to be constantly recovering from surgery so she can get more grandkid time.  :-)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2015, 08:34:32 PM »
Ugh. Speaking from experience, what you do not need in your life is recovery from a C-section.

Then again, I haven't experience a vaginal birth, so who knows whether it is worse? Likely it is all bad, just different.

penguins4everyone!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »
We need to buy a house!  Despite the fact we have the best deal on the most beautiful a rent controlled 1 bedroom apartment you have ever seen in your life.  Paying a mortgage on the current place we rent would be double.  Crappy fixer upper houses in this town (San Francisco) are a million, easily.  No, not buying a house any time soon, thanks.  I plan on raising 4 kids in this apartment.  (I'm kind of kidding?)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »
A contractor!.. My Dad was horrified that my Wife was helping me frame the house extension (we doubled the size of our 650 sq ft house).

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2015, 10:01:08 AM »
A contractor!.. My Dad was horrified that my Wife was helping me frame the house extension (we doubled the size of our 650 sq ft house).

It's OK as long as she was just bringing you iced cold lemonade. /s

justjenn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2015, 06:01:17 PM »
To stop wasting my youth and party more. And by "party" they mean go to over priced clubs and drink myself into a stupor on $15 drinks. I'll pass.