Author Topic: "Where have you been all my life?" foods  (Read 44177 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
"Where have you been all my life?" foods
« on: March 21, 2013, 08:49:01 AM »
Mustachians, are there any foods you've discovered recently that bring you great pleasure or health? I confess that my negative hippie-tweedy associations kept me away from trying wheat berries, steel-cut oats, and miso for far too long, and now I'm eating all three (not together) like I'm making up for lost time.

unplugged

• Stubble
Re: "Where have you been all my life?" foods
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
I can't wait to see the posts in this thread.

I wanted to mention this book. It really helps me try new things that are typically also very affordable.
The Asian Grocery Store Demystified (Take It with You Guides) [Paperback]

Now if only I could find this book for other types of ethnic foods :)

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »
Barley. I thought it was a weird hippy thing and wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole except in that one soup you know, but it turns out the stuff is great. As risotto, with brown sugar and milk for breakfast, man I love barley.

feistygg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 09:41:24 AM »
I love me some quinoa. The bf and I eat 2 eggs, 1/4 cup prepared quinoa, 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cup spinach every morning for mashup breakfast. Best combo ever. Keeps me full until noon.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:58:36 AM »
Kohlrabi.

JanMN

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 10:01:18 AM »
Bulk mixed greek olives - so tasty and just a few at a time are very satisfying.

Justin234

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »
I love me some quinoa. The bf and I eat 2 eggs, 1/4 cup prepared quinoa, 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cup spinach every morning for mashup breakfast. Best combo ever. Keeps me full until noon.

That sounds like my kind of breakfast... but just curious what a mashup breakfast is - do you mix them all and then heat them up? Cook everything with the eggs? Is the spinach cooked with it all? Or do they all sit separately on the plate then get mixed together?

LizzyBee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »
Fresh Collard greens. I sauté them in oil with onions and eat them with rice and beans. It's cheap, easy and healthy. I've never tried canned collard greens and I really don't want to.

Nate_D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 10:32:31 AM »
I'll second the mention of barley. If you're already making lots of rice/bean dishes for frugality or health reasons, substituting barley for rice can mix things up a bit.

One thing to keep in mind, if you're concerned about nutrition, is that the commonly available "pearled" barley has been processed to remove the hull and bran and is not actually considered a whole grain. I didn't realize this until recently. The whole grain version is known as "hulled" barley.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 11:14:11 AM »
Quinoa and kale, especially red kale. Good stuff.

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »
Red quinoa.
Try pan-roasted corn with some garlic mixed with quinoa.
Or my take on a Native American dish: quinoa with a bit of almond milk, agave syrup, and blueberries, served hot. (The original is wild rice with cream half & half, and maple syrup.)

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 12:07:45 PM »
Coconut oil. It's so awesome for stir fries and curries and baked goods and roasted meats and... you get my drift.

Raw Tuscan kale, sliced very thinly = amazing salad greens.

Smoked ham hocks. They are smoky, meaty, gelatinous, three of my favorite food qualities. They go great with collard greens.

Justin234

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 12:35:16 PM »
-Steel cut oats (I know that a lot of people already use them, but I still encounter people who cook rolled oats, and I feel sorry for them)
-Homemade granola (I still use rolled oats for these)
-All kinds of cooked greens, as others have mentioned
-Pinto beans as an alternative to black beans
-Coconut oil (seconding that one)
-Putting avocados on salads

iamsoners

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 09:49:24 PM »
Green smoothies.  I've always eaten a lot of smoothies, I don't know what took me so long to start throwing spinach in.

joyful girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 05:47:49 AM »
This is a good thread. I'm particularly interested in reducing my grocery bill but keeping the health level high. My average is 1000eur a month on groceries for 2 adults and 2 toddlers. I've stopped buying organic because of the price difference.
We eat mostly whole foods, small amounts of wild game and free range poultry, plenty of fish, eggs, grains, nuts, beans, vegetables and fruits, and the guys drink milk. I've been working through several cookbooks for new recipes with the focus on healthy foods.

Here are the foods I have recently fallen in love with.
-- Parmesan cheese. The real stuff is expensive, fudgy, and strong enough that you just need a little.
-- Pinto beans. Sometimes I mash them and stir into bouillon for a hearty gravy. They're also good blended into a quiche.
-- Spinach. I can throw it into just about anything. It cooks down so small that it's easy to use a big bunch. I even fold chopped fresh spinach into bread dough.
-- Leeks. As a substitute for onions.
-- Pecans. Expensive but oily and sweet enough that I only need a few.
-- Cornmeal/polenta and oat bran. I love the texture added into any bread or pancake recipe.

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 08:20:06 AM »
-- Parmesan cheese. The real stuff is expensive, fudgy, and strong enough that you just need a little.

Save your parm rinds! They add a really nice salty, savory note to soups. I put them in kale, sausage, and celeriac soup, and it's delish.

EngGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »
Home made hummus. Not just for dipping veggies, it also makes a very versitile (and cheap) sandwich spread.

Home grown herbs. Nothing can be easier for the gardening n00b than growing some herbs on your balcony or in your back yard. Adds flavour and nutrition. Parsley is so good for you and can be thrown in soups by the handful, or many other applications.

Barley (as mentioned earlier) - mushroom and barley soup can be made in bulk on Sunday and eaten throughout the week. 

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 10:51:03 AM »
This is something I found out about as a side effect of another great experience: textured vegetable protein (TVP), also called Soy Meat.

I went on a camping trip with a vegan, he organized the food, and it was great (lots of hummus as an aside), but he also made a delicious vegetarian chilli dish and he told me about TVP.

After that I had been searching for a cheap source with no luck, until I found it in the bulk foods section of Whole Foods and a few other places. It's great for vegetarians, but I also like it as just an extra protein extender in my regular meals (ie cut the amount of meat down, and throw in some extra TVP)

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 11:05:02 AM »
I've always eaten yogurt, but I'd get sick of it after a few days. Then I found the Mountain View (or whatever) brand and I have been eating it almost every morning with some granola for months. SO much better tasting than Yoplait or store brands!

I also love quinoa and farro (WHY must it take so long to cook???) and spinach. I had a traumatic experience with cooked spinach as a kid, so I was very wary of the raw, but I love it. Even now if a price of hot chicken sits on the spinach and cooks it a little, I have issues. But I could eat a spinach salad every day for lunch and be happy.

Our thing lately has been looking up recipes for common spice mixes like taco and burrito seasoning, or chicken rub. We already have all the spices, why waste money on a premade packet with MSG and a ton of salt added in?

MtnGal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »
I love love love Fage greek yogurt. It goes on sale fairly often here so I only buy it then, but I have that with homemade granola and blueberries almost every day for breakfast.

Also, coconut oil. I can't get enough of it.

And avocados. So good.

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »
Ataulfo mangoes, when they are in season (which just so happens to be right now.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ataulfo_%28mango%29

In fact, I am going to consume one shortly as an afternoon snack.

Short ribs make an excellent beef stew and are often marked down at my local grocery store, because people don't know what to do with them.

I recently discovered some recipes for lentils that aren't always curry, which is great, because I can't deal with Indian food. (It's my own problem, I know that I am weird.)

Every time someone at the husband's office gets a deer, it makes me jealous, because venison is amazing.

joyful girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 03:01:36 PM »
mustache cat thanks for the idea. I love parmesan in soup!

mary, there are French and Italian recipes for lentils. We also cannot have spicy dishes but I use all types of lentils in my cooking.

In the last year I've discovered that Mediterranean veg (zucchini, eggplant, tomato, onion, fennel, mushroom) roasted with olive oil and basil makes me swoon. Even just tomato and onion together is lovely. I don't like roasted garlic but a little fresh garlic grated on top is lovely. Blend up the leftovers for a healthy pizza sauce.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »
Coconut Oil.

Bison.

Eating bison makes me feel superhuman.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Coconut oil.  Coconut milk in my tea.  Acorn squash peeled, cubed, drizzled with mucho olive oil and garlic salt and baked at 375 for an hour (stir once.)  They get all crispy.  Sweet potatoes roasted in the oven at 400 for 1 hr.  Eat as is, or with lots of butter.  Fried plantains, and fried bananas.
  Fun thread.

artistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 06:11:42 AM »
Cabbage! I ate it occasionally as a kid, with sour cream, and I've always eaten it in small quantities as sauerkraut. But this year our consumption has taken off--it's super cheap, even the organic versions, lasts forever in the fridge, and there are a bunch of different types.  Saute with olive oil and top with any sort of protein, or roast slices of it in the oven, or make a tangy slaw. This is a great recipe combining three favorite mustachian foods, quinoa, chickpeas, and cabbage: http://www.marthastewart.com/962202/toasted-quinoa-saute-lemony-cabbage-and-dill You don't even need the dill if you don't have it on hand or in your garden.

KC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 06:25:06 AM »
Hemp seeds. I used them on yogourt and oatmeal. They add good fats and a little protein.
Nutritional yeast, sprinkled on roasted veggies or popcorn.
Both are great additions to a vegetarian diet.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 07:07:57 AM »
My local farmers often sell bunches of roots with the greens attached. I only learned within the past year that things like radish tops are edible.  I found a recipe online for roasted radishes and greens with balsamic vinegar that is great!

This epiphany led to a web search.  Carrot top pesto anyone?

The other thing that I discovered in recent years is the flavoring power of the anchovy. A couple of these babies will melt into an olive oil/garlic mixture and add great depth. 

I am also consuming more root vegetables since we have CSA subscriptions.  Roasting any sort of root (the humble radish, the weird rutabaga, the sweet carrot, even turnips) will make it lovely.  Leftover roots with a fried egg is breakfast heaven.

P.S. Greens and beans (cranberry beans) are on tonight's menu.

Jill the Pill

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 08:55:14 AM »
I love love love Fage greek yogurt. It goes on sale fairly often here so I only buy it then
I've always eaten yogurt, but I'd get sick of it after a few days. Then I found the Mountain View (or whatever) brand
Oh you guys have to learn how to make yoghurt.  It is so easy: 20 min hands-on time to make 1/2 gallon.

Recipe/procedure:

In a deep saucepan, start heating 7 cups of milk (whole works better) on medium to medium-high.  In a large, clean container (we use a big glass cookie jar) mix 1 cup half-and-half with 1 cup of yoghurt, and set that aside.  Get a big pan of ice water that will be large enough to hold your cooking saucepan.  Set that aside, too. 

Then pay attention to the cooking milk.  Stir, so it doesn't scald at the bottom, and if you have a thermometer, raise the milk to 180 degrees.  If you don't have a thermometer, the milk should get to just boiling but not boiling over.

Move the hot milk pan right into the ice water pan, and let the milk cool to about 100-110 degrees.  Stirring hurries things along.  If you don't have a thermometer, you'll know it is ready when no steam is coming off it at all, and you can barely feel any heat when you stick a finger in the milk. 

Transfer the milk to the container with the half-and-half and yoghurt.  Stir.  Now you need to stash it somewhere warm overnight.  Our oven has a 100 degree setting, but I have used a bread machine, oven-with-oven-light-on, and even a warm car.  Some people wrap the container in a towel to make it cozy. 

In the morning, you will magically have yoghurt.  It will be looser but tastier than store-bought, and it will firm up in the fridge.  I have only had one or two batches really fail, and then those are excellent used as liquid in baked goods (muffins, pancakes). 

Debbie M

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:52 PM »

Save your parm rinds! They add a really nice salty, savory note to soups. I put them in kale, sausage, and celeriac soup, and it's delish.

And pinto beans.  This was served at a party I attended, and many of the participants agreed that they were the best pinto beans ever.  Also, mushrooms sauteed in butter disappeared faster than the hosts could make it.  Sounds boring.  Not.

hoyahoyasaxa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 09:02:08 PM »
I swear, for years I was totally grossed out by yogurt.  I just couldn't stomach it and was willing to try different types but the taste was just too strong.  I don't know if my tastebuds have changed or what, but one of the highlights of my day now is having myself a teacup of whole milk plain yogurt mixed with honey and dried cranberries.  Yum!

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »
definitely cabbage. the only exposure I had to cabbage growing up was in KFC coleslaw, which I thought was gross. Although, now I do like coleslaw, and I discovered I love cabbage. sauteed, slawed, roasted, in soups...

and brussel sprouts. so good. I saute them with fat and then drizzle maple syrup and add a glob of mustard.

and beets, too. yummmmm.

caligulala

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 02:44:30 PM »
Millet! It gives baked goods a little bit of crunch and you can make it up savory or sweet depending on how you want to use it. Our whole foods expanded its bulk foods section so it is now huge and has a million different grains and heirloom beans, so we went a little wild on our last trip. Millet, farro and kamut were the surprise hits. Rye berries too. We've stopped making risotto and now make ryesotto.

Giant fava beans were universally loathed, however. You've been warned.

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 07:44:22 AM »
Even as a kid I was always a "health food" fan so I pretty much already love everything the experts say is good for you. I was the dorky kid who eagerly sprinkled wheat bran and honey on her rice puff cereal with bananas before happily chowing down. :P
My newest thing is cottage cheese. I hated it up until a couple years ago, preferring plain yogurt or a piece of cheese. But for protein to fat ratio, you just can't beat cottage cheese so I gave it another go. I don't eat much meat so the other foods I eat must be high in protein. Cottage cheese is surprisingly versatile. I can eat it with fresh fruit as a sweet snack, season it for a pita chip dip, or throw it in my tacos, sandwiches or bakes as a grated cheese substitute. I also replaced mayonnaise and ricotta in several of my recipes with cottage cheese with great results.

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »

Have you had them fried? I see them already fried in Asian and Italian specialty food stores, and they are so delicious. I'm salivating right now imagining them.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »
I looooove fava beans

C40

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »
Pomegranates

Avocados

Ms. Doodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Doodles and Cents
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 08:09:23 AM »
Definitely soft tofu in a hot pot soup.  One day, I'll master the art of hot pot broth making.

COguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »
I looooove fava beans

Me too.  With liver and a nice Chianti

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
Don't laugh:  Egg Salad

I never liked it before, but I was trying to use up easter eggs.    I had it on rice crackers.  Food nirvana for pennies.

The Bearded Bank Builder

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »
I looooove fava beans

Me too.  With liver and a nice Chianti

Oh god, he's a cannibal! Someone warn that crappy violin player!

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »
Kale chips with pepperflakes on them.  Ohhhh shit it's so good, I've eaten several pounds of it in the past week.  I used to think kale was rabbit food for hippies.  No longer.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »
Resurrected the thread 'cause I thought of another one. Stewed plums. Ohmyfreakingod good, rich and complex.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »
Fennel! Delicious roasted with a little olive oil.  Works great to roast with others too - potatoes, butternut squash, sweet potato, carrot, parsnip. 

Cilantro - add to everything.  Over any sort of rice/bean dish, soups, curries etc. 

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »

I've had sweet quinoa too--prepared like oatmeal, with dried fruits and honey and coconut milk (or whatever you like) and whatnot. Very tasty!

travelbug

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 08:29:46 PM »
Coconut oil/butter here too. Nom nom.

But one combination that is amazing: I mean you have to try it is boiled eggs with salted butter on them.

Every morning I have one or two boiled eggs, chopped in half with a tiny knob of butter. Let the butter melt a bit and bite. Seriously. OMFG.

Otherwise, my homemade pesto and salsa. I will never, ever buy these again and they are soooo easy to make.

Cool thread.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »
Beets!  Don't forget the beets!  Or the beet greens.  Or the stalks, sliced, smushed with a rolling pin, and pickled.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »
Root vegetables, roasted or in the crock pot.
Lentils.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2013, 09:08:29 PM »
Hummus. Avocados. Texturized soy protein. Any kind of beans. And whatever is fresh in the garden.

I can literally feed myself lunch for two weeks with a single tub of hummus, a package of crispbread, and some fresh veggies each day. An avocado feeds me 2-3 breakfasts or lunches with accompaniments like eggs or bread + veggies. Beans--filling, cheap, and delicious.

We just discovered texturized soy protein at the Hispanic market. So cheap, and takes the flavor of whatever you put it in. We have only used it as the main protein so far but I look forward to using it to stretch meat as some other posters have suggested.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 02:21:48 AM »
Balsamic vinegar. I douse pretty much everything in it now.

Stives

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »
This thread is so amazing!!! I registered an account just so I could post this.