Author Topic: "Technical Difficulties" in getting my EIN from the IRS  (Read 14567 times)

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
"Technical Difficulties" in getting my EIN from the IRS
« on: March 31, 2016, 02:03:11 PM »
I have tried twice and get a big "no", the reasons given are not all technical in nature even though that is what the message says. One reason stated is that I might have applied during off hours (didn't), another says I may not qualify (might not???), and the third says they may actually be having difficulties. You cannot call anyone on this either.

Anyway, I have an LLC with just me and filled everything in that I could and correctly as far as I know. Have any of you had a similar difficulty in getting your Employee Identification Number from the IRS? My accountant said he'd do it for me, but I'm sure that'll be $50 or more.

Here is the copy of my "error":

EIN Assistant

Technical Difficulties

A technical problem has occurred as a result of one of the following:

You accessed the Online EIN Assistant outside the hours of operation. The hours of operation are posted here.
One of your entries does not meet the eligibility requirements to obtain an EIN. The application requirements are posted here.
The Online EIN Assistant is experiencing intermittent technical difficulties. If the technical difficulty continues, you may report the problem by clicking here.

stlbrah

• Bristles
Re: "Technical Difficulties" in getting my EIN from the IRS
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 07:13:54 PM »
ya, their Security IP PIn page has been down for a long time with a similar error, and then they finally put a 1/2 ass banner message on the page saying it was down because they were developing a more secure system... bs

Every time I call IRS someone yells at me and I can't get a word in and then hangs up abruptly before I am ready for the call to end. I think they employ a lot of hoodlum type people. They come off as extremely defensive when I point out the error on the page and say there is nothing they can do

such a joke

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 07:21:40 PM »
I'm not a government basher, but I can see why some people are.

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 11:27:52 PM »
I got mine years ago, when the Internet was not that popular then I think, I called to get one, and it took about 10 minutes only. I think you can call in at the non-toll free number: https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/How-to-Apply-for-an-EIN

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 08:01:10 AM »
Anyone who tries to use the online interface gets that error, it's not related to anything you've done. You have to use the phone number. The online interface has not worked for a very long time.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 08:03:26 AM »
Thanks to you both.

Are you faxing or simply calling in? I'm on hold now, but not really confident that I'll get what I need because there wasn't an exact line for me to get to. The recording keeps coming on saying all EIN requests will be directed to the online assistant. Wow this is really fun.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:16:01 AM by Rollin »

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 08:17:23 AM »
What do you need an ein for?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 08:21:53 AM »
What do you need an ein for?
I am assuming because the LLC in question was just founded, and therefore needs to establish one.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »
I think zyphyr911 is correct, but mainly because my accountant says he needs it to file me taxes associated with my llc.

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 08:52:47 AM »
CPA here. Do you have a single member LLC? If yes and you have no employees, an ein is not necessary to file your tax return. Did your CPA say why they need it?
https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Single-Member-Limited-Liability-Companies

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 09:05:30 AM »
COlady

I just don't know why, but will ask him later today.

I did finally get through to the IRS though and was able to get one. That was after the lady told me it must be done with fax. She must have felt in a good mood.

I've tried the link you provided and it locks up, but I will read it as soon as it opens up.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:07:29 AM by Rollin »

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 09:07:01 AM »
Well it doesn't hurt anything to have one so it sounds like you're good to go.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 09:17:23 AM »
Thanks for the follow up. I was wondering about that and was actually a bit concerned that I'd set something in motion that would take an act of God to unravel. Unfounded fears! The mind is a funny machine, isn't it!

EDIT - Just talked with my accountant and he said I could use my SSN as long as I stayed a single person LLC, which I plan to do.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:32:32 AM by Rollin »

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 01:05:43 PM »
That's weird. I got an EIN online on March 23 with no problem.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 01:33:24 PM »
I'm not positive that the reason was because what the lady from the IRS stated, but she said a "101" code means that someone else had the same or very similar business name.

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 12:20:04 PM »
This error message appears when the daily EIN limit/allotment has been reached. No joke. I had to obtain an EIN for my mother's estate and encountered the same error a few times. Finally accessed the system first thing in the morning and everything processed immediately.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »
That makes sense not really :)

But I could definitely see something like that happening. Thanks for the insight.