Author Topic: "Safe" recommendations to store important documents?  (Read 1415 times)

Swat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
"Safe" recommendations to store important documents?
« on: August 04, 2018, 06:59:08 AM »
I am just starting to look for a secure safe and was wondering if the group had any specific recommendations. Here are some of the items I'm looking for. 

-Fireproof. 
-Waterproof
-Size: I only have to store passports, social security cards, a few secure pieces of paper, a small thumbdrive, etc... so I don't need anything too large. I don't have expensive jewelry, guns, etc... Although I'm sure I'll put more things in there over time, I really don't need it to be that large. Most of my existing paperwork (which gets less and less with everything digital) is in our filing cabinet which currently isn't fireproof but is plenty of room to store everything we have so far. I'll continue to use that for the paperwork that doesn't need extra security/fire protection (although there is a lock on there).
-Secure: obviously this is also very important. I don't need Fort Knox security but enough that would deter anyone from trying to break in. The ability to bolt it to the floor or some other security features that I'm not thinking of may also be of some benefit. Do most people use a combination or a key for their safe? What features should I be looking for?
-Anything else that I should be thinking of?

I'm certainly willing to pay a little bit of premium to get something of quality that fits some of the requirements listed above. My hope is one great purchase to last a lifetime. 

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: "Safe" recommendations to store important documents?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 08:10:36 AM »
Just get a good fireproof file cabinet.  They are made for exactly this purpose.

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 08:54:32 AM »
Depending on how often you need to access your materials perhaps a safe deposit box will work.  I've got a small one I keep some similar items in.  It's $30/y.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 09:24:32 AM »
There was a decent length thread on this last year:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/where-do-you-store-important-documents/

I use personally use a fireproof safe. I think it's also waterproof, but I don't remember for sure.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »
a small thumbdrive, etc...
FYI, a USB flash drive is not a great option for long-term data storage: http://practicalarchivist.blogspot.com/2007/06/flash-drives-are-not-for-long-term.html  Optical media or hard drives are better options (transfer to new media every few years).