Author Topic: "Anonymous" LLC for privacy reasons  (Read 2979 times)

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
"Anonymous" LLC for privacy reasons
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:19:14 PM »
Is anyone familiar with setting up an anonymous or private LLC?  I have read a bit and it seems like WY, NV, and DE are known for this.  Some say WY is best.  I am interested in this for a side business and to maintain privacy (home-based business). 

Is this a good idea?  I am also wondering how the determination for foreign registration in my home state works.  If this is an online business but technical support and customer service is done in my state, does this mean I must register in my state?  If so, does that negate the privacy aspect?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
Re: "Anonymous" LLC for privacy reasons
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 06:44:32 PM »
I've registered an LLC recently with a business name (Physician on FIRE LLC), but had to give my name and social security number to do so. I'd be surprised if you could do so anonymously, but I have very little experience in the matter.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:43:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I may not have phrased this properly.  I realize that the state would need real information.  I am hoping to keep it out of public, web-accessible databases.  It looks like this is possible in some states by using a registered agent.  If this moves forward, I will talk to a business law attorney. 

WY does look like a good option but adds another state to the mix.  If we pursue this, I will post information that might help others.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:33:54 PM »
Reading this book a few years ago (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0065QZVB6/) I believe the author specifically recommended New Mexico LLCs as the most anonymous way to hold property and register cars, but I forget the details of why.

jwright

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 07:59:18 AM »
In my state, creating an LLC requires just one form filed with our Secretary of State.  It asks for the name of the LLC, address and registered agent.  Often people use an attorney as the registered agent.  The name of the LLC member(s) is not searchable.

You do have to report the LLC's income on your tax return and your name is on the LLC tax return.  If you have to supply a tax return for some reason, I don't see how you can be anonymous.  Unless you layered it and made a different LLC the member of the anonymous LLC.