Author Topic: " 'Stache Lite" Husband's Cable Req  (Read 4922 times)

puglogic

• Stubble
" 'Stache Lite" Husband's Cable Req
« on: January 12, 2015, 10:04:09 AM »
I could easily go without cable, just picking up the occasional sports game while eating out, waiting for the DVD at the library, etc.  I've often grumbled about pulling the plug or getting just the most basic of basics.

But my spouse -- a frugal guy with excellent spending habits in general -- wants to have a way to watch English Premier League Soccer.  That's generally NBC Sports Network.  Does anyone watch this network?  And if so, how do you receive it?  Is there any legal non-satellite provider you know of?

Thanks.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
Re: " 'Stache Lite" Husband's Cable Req
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:15:41 AM »
Does he only watch Premier League?

With a $30 Chromecast, you can "tabcast" whatever is playing on your computer or tablet to the tv. Then you just need a VPN to spoof a UK internet address, and you can watch Premier League games for free on the BBC's iPlayer website: http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/08/16/how-to-use-a-vpn-to-watch-bbcs-match-of-the-day/

Much more info on this page about how to watch other soccer leagues as well: http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/08/21/the-cord-cutters-guide-to-watching-soccer/

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 06:31:57 AM »
Thanks a lot for this link.  There's hope!  :)

I assume Chromecast only works with HDTV though, right?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 06:38:55 AM by puglogic »

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 06:55:10 AM »
I pay for hockeystreams.com service because I can go without cable but I can't go without hockey.  It's way cheaper and I can watch on any device anywhere.  Maybe there is something similar for soccer. 

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »
yes, you need an HDMI port for the Chromecast. Most Rokus are HDMI ports as well, although you can hook up some of the older ones through AV cords (Yellow/White/Red) or maybe even an S-cord.

Another option would be to buy something like an older Mac Mini off craigslist (maybe $100?) and connect it directly to your TV. There are lots of conversion cords for Mac display ports to different TV inputs.

Spoom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 11:07:08 AM »
The Premier League subreddit seems to have some streaming links available.  Not entirely on the up and up, of course, but this is how one might get sports that are otherwise unavailable, especially if you have a laptop with an HDMI out port.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 01:32:55 PM »
Great info - many thanks.  My main 'side gig' is "playing" for the MLS Seattle Sounders for the past few years.  As a result, I've become a huge soccer fan.  I use  a Windows 7 laptop running Windows Media Center, and capture HDTV from an antenna, and was able to find an English Premiere league game-of-the-week broadcast locally which I record regularly.
The only way to view EPL (that I'm aware of) is the NBC sports "live extra" package - this service is free, but requires you to have a cable TV subscription (OR know the cable account login/password of a friend/family-member who DOES.) This might seem too shady for most mustachians, but I'm sure my brother would let me use his account - he's on DISH, gets 1200 channels of crap (watches maybe 2) and would be happy for someone to do this so he could get more "bang-for-the-buck" from his monthly subscription.
MLS Live is a great deal when it's offered at $19/year.  ($18.99)
Also, Univision (spanish language channel) often shows MLS and International games that can be streamed free from their website. 
Even ESPN has started offering a way to stream content for a $20/month fee (this is very a VERY new service, so I can't provide links, sorry)

Best of luck, and please be sure to let us know how you solve this streaming puzzle.

Phil_Moore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 05:54:21 AM »
Does he only watch Premier League?

With a $30 Chromecast, you can "tabcast" whatever is playing on your computer or tablet to the tv. Then you just need a VPN to spoof a UK internet address, and you can watch Premier League games for free on the BBC's iPlayer website: http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/08/16/how-to-use-a-vpn-to-watch-bbcs-match-of-the-day/

Just as an FYI before you jump into this, the BBC does not have the rights for any Premier League live games they are all owned by Sky and BT, so you won't see any on the iplayer, highlights shows only.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:59:32 AM by fungalist »

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 09:11:54 AM »
Thanks, Fungalist.  We've also run into issues because we don't have a strong wireless signal where the TV is (we hae it out of the mainstream of the house, as it just doesn't get watched very often) 

Husband had a brilliant idea of his own. The local rec center has NBC Sports Network, and he said, "If I could only watch soccer while I'm exercising on Saturdays & Sundays, that would be good incentive to go to the gym, right?"  Love that guy.  We're usually there anyway on the weekends, costs about $3.00 to use the whole place. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!