Author Topic: $84 Waffle Maker - face punch worthy?  (Read 11466 times)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
$84 Waffle Maker - face punch worthy?
« on: September 09, 2015, 05:18:37 PM »
So, I just bought this:

It feels like it's face punch worthy, just from a cost standpoint.  But I have a few caveats for it, and you tell me if I'm getting value or if I'm just rationalizing. 

1st, I have an 8 year old daughter that loves waffles and having a waffle maker will cut/eliminate one of our "going out for a treat" expenses.  I'm trying to re-set my daughter's expectations that these types of treats necessarily involve going out to a restaurant.  The more we can do this type of stuff at home, the happier I am.

2nd, I wanted something that was built to last (over built, truth be told), and also something that had removable plates to make clean up easier.  I checked craigslist and eBay but no deals there for the past few weeks.

3rd, this is my largest purchase of anything this month.  In the past, $84 wouldn't have even been a blip in my overall blizzard of spending habits.  So just the fact that I notice and expend mental energy on this is a big change. 

Anyway, my assumption is that we'll have this waffle maker for a very long time, and it'll save us many, many trips to the local waffle place.  Hell, even 3 saved trips pretty much pays for it. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:27:44 PM by tyort1 »

bsmith

• Stubble
Re: $84 Waffle Maker - face punch worthy?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »
Check Goodwill.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 05:33:11 PM »
I am at work so I can't see your picture, but I bought a quality waffle maker myself about 8 years ago and have been glad I did. Cheap waffle makers don't heat up well or keep their heat, so the waffles don't have that nice crunch on the surface, they are more like bread than waffles. I didn't get removable plates, that would have been nice. Not sure how much longer the quality ones will last, cheap ones seems to last forever... but better to get something that does the job right and is a joy to use.

In general I would say to make sure it is something that isn't a fad, by using something cheap for a while and making do with whatever you have or can get cheap. Only buy quality when you have proven to yourself it's not a fad and you won't be leaving it in the closet for all but one day a year. But after that, and after debts have been paid off, and only when spending within your budget for such items, I definitely agree with the idea of buying quality and durability, even at the much higher price they demand.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »
Don't limit your self to just waffles. It's really an all-in-one appliance.

www.willitwaffle.com

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 06:06:14 PM »
Get one second hand, if it ends up not being used resell it.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 06:15:26 PM »
Buy an old workhorse vintage waffle maker that's 50 years old or more.  You know it lasts.  And it isn't covered in teflon (that will last about 2 years).  It has nice cast aluminum or iron plates that are removable and re-seasonable.

kiwichick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 06:26:11 PM »
I bought a waffle maker not long ago after travelling the US and falling in love with waffles! Unfortunately the waffles that resulted were a big disappointment and it's been languishing in the cupboard ever since.

How do you Americans make waffles? NZ is not a waffle-eating country, so it may have just been a poor recipe

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
My attitude is, if you bought that waffle maker, and then a bunch of other random stuff you didn't need "because they were on sale" then you would probably need a face punch.  But you will use it, you mentioned it was your largest purchase this month, so you are likely generally frugal.  I don't see anything wrong with making choices about how to spend your disposable money, when that spending is well within your budget. Have fun making waffles!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 06:49:56 PM »
I bought a waffle maker not long ago after travelling the US and falling in love with waffles! Unfortunately the waffles that resulted were a big disappointment and it's been languishing in the cupboard ever since.

How do you Americans make waffles? NZ is not a waffle-eating country, so it may have just been a poor recipe

This is my recipe; it's an American classic.

I second that recipe.

Also, there's nothing wrong with spending on things that directly increase your quality of life, that you will use, and that stop you from spending more money outside the home. Going out for waffles around here: 13$/person (Canadian) for waffles and a side of fruit. Assuming that's 9$US per person on a "treat" breakfast out, or, if made at home, 2$ for fruit and maybe 0.50$ on waffle batter ingredients... That's 6.5 breakfasts to break even on the cost, PLUS the satisfaction of teaching your daughter that not all treats involve spending money. As long as you actually use it!

(Also: thaw 2 cups of frozen blueberries in the microwave. Add a bit of sugar, lemon zest and juice, and a spoonful of cornstarch, and heat until it thickens. Perfect waffle topping. Or use raspberries or strawberries. Yuuuum.)

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/05/essential-raised-waffles/

kiwichick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 06:54:25 PM »
Ooh, I can't wait to try that recipe! From memory, the one I tried didn't have very many ingredients, and used baking powder for raising - maybe yeast will make all the difference.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 07:29:32 PM »

www.willitwaffle.com

That is awesome!  Just went online to my Library's catalog to see if they have it.  Yep, they do - they are sending it to my local branch, now. 

And thank you to everyone else.  Thinking of purchases as investments that will avoid future costs is a new way of thinking for me and it's what I'm trying to do here. 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 08:56:12 PM »
I own a slighter cheaper waffle iron from a different brand, but it gets used at least once a week. Depending on my kids' mood, some weeks it gets used daily.

As long as you use it, it was a good purchase. Now I want some fried chicken...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 06:39:17 AM »
$84?  Holy crap.  We have a $20 waffle maker that has been in regular use for 10 years.

I guess if you used to go out for waffles all the time and now you will eat them in, it will pay for itself- but that seems insanely expensive.

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 07:50:14 AM »

www.willitwaffle.com

+1. Waffle makers are awesome for Paninis or calzones.

relena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 09:43:33 AM »
I love marion cunningham's essential waffle recipe.

Here are some other recipes that we tried and loved:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/crispy-flaky-pepperoni-pizza-puff-pastry-waffle-awesome.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/buttery-flaky-frangipane-puff-pastry-waffles.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/search?term=waffle

hmm, it some of those recipes are from the will it waffle book ;)

Don't be afraid to experiment.

I own an expensive belgium waffle maker that I bought a few years ago.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »
Just be aware that while Cuisinart will sell you replacement parts, you could probably buy another, slightly less expensive model for about the same money.  That is why we now have a Oster blender.  Probably less to break on a waffle maker though...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »
How much is it worth in a yard sale? Now you know the true value of your purchase.

FWIW, I just bought our boys a waffle maker too. I got this one for $5. Its slow and cheap and they love it:

http://www.amazon.ca/Sesame-Street-Waffle-Cookie-Monster/dp/B00AUKE31C

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 09:58:17 AM »
You're call, my mom is great at bargain shopping and so when I wanted a waffle maker, I told her what I wanted and she went and found one at Macy's or somewhere like that for $11 new.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 10:11:32 AM »
That is a ton for a waffle iron, but if you use regularly, it's probably worth it.

My waffle iron is an old toastmaster with reversible plates that I found at savers.  It also opens up all the way into a hot plate kind of thing.  It's probably from the early 80's.  Same model my parents had when I was a kid.  I think theirs died when one of my brothers dropped it hot into the sink.

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 10:15:16 AM »
I've never regretted an expensive kitchen purchase. Usually once I get the item my only thought is, "I should have pulled the trigger on this sooner."

This... absolutely.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 10:17:58 AM »
I have a Belgian Waffle Maker and a regular one. IIRC, one was a gift at least twenty years ago and one a garage sale find. Neither of them heat perfectly, so I get where you're coming from. I'd say that usage trumps all, so use the heck out of it and don't worry about the $84. You're right that replacing trips out for waffles will prove to be a money saver in the long run. That's provided, of course, that you have no consumer debt.

And a big thank you to all of you who posted waffle recipes. I'm going to use my less-than-perfect-waffle irons to have a little fun with these, but now I'm jonesing for a better one.

And this mini-rant: Helpful comments reflect that you've read and understood the OP's question.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 11:38:11 AM »
Oh, come one, everyone. Pancakes are the same food, different shape. You could have taught your daughter to make them, and had fun decorating them, and taught her something positive about mustachian living.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 11:42:28 AM »
To me, it doesn't come down to just the money. I go after second-hand appliances because it effectively cuts down on waste stream, which is part of what Mustachianism means to me.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
Oh, come one, everyone. Pancakes are the same food, different shape. You could have taught your daughter to make them, and had fun decorating them, and taught her something positive about mustachian living.

No, they aren't. Pancakes and waffles are different, delicious breakfast products, but they aren't the same. People use the same batter for both (which they shouldn't). A waffle iron fries dough very quickly between two hot metal plates; it's closest equivalent is actually another deep fried bread, the donut. A waffle batter should be sweeter and fattier than a pancake batter to aid in creating a crunchy exterior. A pancake is more like, well, a cake: soft, puffy, and floppy. Both good, but not the same at all.

This is for an 8 year-old, who wants a treat with her parent.

And for the rest of us, all the decisions we make where the differences are not particularly meaningful result in us having too much stuff and not as much freedom as we could.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 02:08:10 PM »

No, they aren't. Pancakes and waffles are different, delicious breakfast products, but they aren't the same. People use the same batter for both (which they shouldn't). A waffle iron fries dough very quickly between two hot metal plates; it's closest equivalent is actually another deep fried bread, the donut. A waffle batter should be sweeter and fattier than a pancake batter to aid in creating a crunchy exterior. A pancake is more like, well, a cake: soft, puffy, and floppy. Both good, but not the same at all.

Mmmm, a donut covered in butter and syrup, now you are talking!  Seriously, my kids don't care what you call it or what it looks like, as long as it is covered in syrup.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »

Mmmm, a donut covered in butter and syrup, now you are talking!  Seriously, my kids don't care what you call it or what it looks like, as long as it is covered in syrup.

I don't care either - slam that thing over here!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 02:26:59 PM »
That's like saying scrambled eggs are the same as omelettes. Just plain silly talk.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »
For piece of mind:  Calculate how much you have spent on taking your daughter out for waffles each time in the past. Every time you make waffles congratulate yourself on saving that amount.  Pretty soon the waffle machine will be paid off and every waffle will be pure profit.

To educate your daughter:  When she wants to go out for something else in the future suggest staying home an trying a new waffle recipe.

To make a profit:  For your daughter's next birthday party try waffles and ice cream instead of cake. 

Full disclosure:  I have a Vitamix blender and a fancy espresso maker and am convinced both have saved me money in the long run.   

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 03:15:27 PM »
Couldn't resist...

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 03:40:50 PM »
For piece of mind:  Calculate how much you have spent on taking your daughter out for waffles each time in the past. Every time you make waffles congratulate yourself on saving that amount.  Pretty soon the waffle machine will be paid off and every waffle will be pure profit.

To educate your daughter:  When she wants to go out for something else in the future suggest staying home an trying a new waffle recipe.

To make a profit:  For your daughter's next birthday party try waffles and ice cream instead of cake. 

Full disclosure:  I have a Vitamix blender and a fancy espresso maker and am convinced both have saved me money in the long run.   

We go as a family, and its more than $30 every time.  So 4 saved trips more than pays for it, in our case. 

I should mention I have an ice cream maker and we use it regularly.  Its less expensive than store bought ice cream (and way, way cheaper than hitting the FroYo place).  But the difference is like $2 vs $5, where the waffle price difference is $0.50 vs $8. 

We usually bake and decorate her birthday cakes ourselves, but waffles and ice cream might be a good alternative - thanks for the suggestion!

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 09:03:04 PM »
How much is it worth in a yard sale? Now you know the true value of your purchase.

How much time would you waste looking for one at a yard sale?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 09:23:22 PM »
I think you are rationalizing a little...  $84 seems like a lot when a less expensive (and lower quality) one might have been sufficient. 

But it's bought (and used?) now, and it is replacing a more expensive habit, so the question is really only useful for future purchases. Do you settle for "good enough" or pay more for "excellent"?  What constitutes "good enough"?  What dollar value constitutes a big enough purchase to give this a lot of thought?

Regardless, enjoy your waffles. They always make me happy!  (I am a degenerate and sometimes use pancake mix + extra vegetable oil to make waffles.  serpentstooth is going to ban me from reading her journal, now.)

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2015, 12:14:03 AM »
Is there a suggestion here that some people don't add any oil or butter to their pancake mix?  Or is there an unspoken understanding that "pancake mix" implies a store-bought pack and we are talking about adding additional butter to it? Sounds odd either way to me, but I am now in mind to make sourdough pancakes for Saturday breakfast!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2015, 05:26:01 AM »
Couldn't resist...

Years ago I spent $2 at a church yard sale to buy an elderly waffle maker to take with us on a beach vacation. It is still going strong and turns out some mighty fine waffles.

I think $84 sounds like a lot, but if you keep it forever and use it all the time, it really isn't so face punch-worthy.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2015, 05:37:13 AM »
Yeah, I need to get around to trying yeast end waffles. Right now my waffle batter is just my multi-grain pancake mix (fresh milled whole wheat, buckwheat, rolled oats) with added fresh ground cornmeal and some olive oil for better crisping.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2015, 08:08:11 AM »
My husband is waffle-obsessed. We had an old waffle maker given to us decades ago that finally died. Stupidly, we bought a cheap replacement that made horrible waffles. It died and we bought another cheap replacement of a different brand that was also a failure. We ended up buying a nice one very similar to the one in the OP and it has been awesome. The cheap ones don't get hot enough and they don't bake evenly.

If it is something you will use frequently and it will keep you from going out, it is a good purchase. If you can find it used, great, but if not, it will have paid for itself if it keeps you from going out four times.

Yeasted waffles are incredible. The smell alone is heaven.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »
Is there a suggestion here that some people don't add any oil or butter to their pancake mix?  Or is there an unspoken understanding that "pancake mix" implies a store-bought pack and we are talking about adding additional butter to it? Sounds odd either way to me, but I am now in mind to make sourdough pancakes for Saturday breakfast!

I've known people who just put normal pancake batter into their waffle iron. The said waffles are rather sad.

When we get lazy we use Bisquick for waffles. It actually has a different recipe on the side of the box for waffles and pancakes.  Never tried the pancake one.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2015, 08:50:42 AM »
We go as a family, and its more than $30 every time.  So 4 saved trips more than pays for it, in our case.   In that case I would say that you have done a good job of finding a financial leak and plugging it.  I would be proud of myself if I had done as well.  I know there are people who believe you should have smelted your own iron and made the waffle iron in your back yard but I would say you have dealt with the issue intelligently.