Author Topic: $2500 a month living expense reimbursement... Help!  (Read 3395 times)

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
$2500 a month living expense reimbursement... Help!
« on: December 26, 2017, 11:53:19 AM »
Hello,

My company is relocating me to San Diego for 1 year.  They are willing to pay up to $2500 a month for living expenses (rent, insurance, utilities). 

My first idea was to live as cheap as possible, to pocket the difference... But I have to prove that I have $2,500 worth of expenses.

So... Do I....

1. Get a 2 bedroom place (Could maybe get a 3 bedroom at that price), and get a roommate to split the cost ($1250 * 12 = $15k)
2. Get an apartment to immediately sublease to someone else? Then I live in a van?
3. Get an apartment in a good location for AirBNB and live somewhere else cheap?

Am I thinking too hard on this?  Should I simply live a block away from work and not worry about this $2500 a month thing?

Thank you for your help!

Christof

• Pencil Stache
Re: $2500 a month living expense reimbursement... Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 12:50:09 PM »
For me personally, my top priority would to be honest and live my normal life. Maxing out reimbursement at the expense of these priorities would not work for me.

Jaayse

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »
Teltic, I used to live in San Diego.  Depending on what area of town you live in and where you work (if you want to live close to work), the 2500 will be a pretty good amount.  It sounds like you need to be the primary renter for an apartment to show cost. 

In order to give you an idea of costs, my condo that I rent out is a 2 bedroom 2.5 bath that rents for 2k in an area that isn't close to down town or any extremely popular area (it was around 15-20 minutes to downtown and 30 minutes to either point loma or mission valley).  My average utilities for electric and natural gas were around 100 a month more or less depending on the time of the year.  Internet was around 55 a month for a higher speed (around 120 if you get cable with it).  Water was pretty cheap 30 or less for a 2-3 month period, it wasn't billed every month.  I was, I think, pretty mustachian with my power and water usage, so a roommate would definitely add to the cost there.

If you are someone who doesn't mind or even likes having a roommate, I think that would be a great option.  There are always people looking for a place to rent, it took less than 2 weeks from when I moved out of my condo until I had a renter.  I wouldn't necessarily recommend living in a van, it can get pretty hot in the summer around July through September, although I have seen some people living in RVs or even sail boats.  Apartments in good locations are going to run well over 2k for a single bedroom if you're talking down town, so airbnb would be a tough one.  I did look at airbnb prices for where my condo was located and they were only around 35 a night, but again it wasn't in a good tourist area.

No matter how you slice it, you're going to do well!  You'll have your paycheck and not have many expenses except gasoline and food!  Don't do something that will make you miserable just to save a few bucks when you're already coming out ahead.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 01:22:00 PM »
Thank you both!

After reading both your comments, I think its more ethical to simply get an apartment to live in.  I will think heavily on whether to get a roommate or not (I still think that's ethical?).

What areas do you suppose, Jaayse? My company will be in La Jolla.  I've heard Pacific Beach is a good area, but La Jolla seems pretty nice as well (It would be super cool to ride my bike to work every day...).

Thoughts on spots?  Any places I should avoid?

Jaayse

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 01:47:06 PM »
La Jolla is a very nice area, also pretty expensive.  If you can find something reasonable in La Jolla, definitely stay there. 

Pacific Beach has the well deserved reputation of a party area for college students.  It would be a lot cheaper, but you will likely have a lot of parties going on and maybe not the best neighbors. 

I don't have too much experience with areas farther North as far as housing goes, but looking North of La Jolla might find you some less expensive housing.   I'm sure there are others who know the San Diego area who can chime in here with some suggestions. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »
Stay in La Jolla. For once, I will even suggest a property management company, as I have friends who found places in small complexes that way. La Jolla cove is awesome.

a-scho

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 08:45:55 PM »
does your company pay your rent, insurance, utilities where you currently live? if no, then you would be pocketing that money when you move to san diego and they pay those things.
I don't think 2,500 will go far in la jolla unless you are in a shared living situation. If you prefer to live alone, I would find the closest accommodations to la jolla as far up to the 2,500 limit. I wouldn't try pocketing any 'san diego' money, just use it to get as close to la jolla as possible.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 09:47:22 AM »
My company doesn't pay my rent here.  So yes I'm saving money simply moving to San Diego as is.  I'm always looking for ways to make an extra buck, which maybe I'm trying too hard to do so.

https://www.apartments.com/9693-caminito-del-vida-san-diego-ca/2rsjpxc/
^^ $2500. 3bed 2 bath

https://www.apartments.com/la-jolla-crossroads-san-diego-ca/hjm4h71/
^^ $2,450 for 2/2.

My company would pay for renters insurance, utilities, internet too... So it may be wise to get an apartment for $2000, so they can pay those other expenses...

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 11:25:55 AM »
If you don't mind having a roommate, that would be a good way to save money and I don't think it would be unethical. I do think it would be unethical to sublet the apartment.

Personally, I'd try to use the money to get an apartment as close as possible to work, so that you can walk or bike, and with an on-site gym you can use. San Diego is expensive, and La Jolla is really expensive so I don't think maxing out the allowance will be too difficult.

noplaceliketheroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 01:58:48 PM »
I grew up in that area and I recommend living as close to work as possible. San Diego has some of the worst traffic (imo even worse than LA) so try to find something within a couple miles of your job. There are a lot of colleges in that area, so be careful you don't end up in something that is basically glorified student housing, unless you are young and enjoy that crowd! PB is mostly college kids. La Jolla is mostly extremely wealthy old people. Torrey Pines is mostly campuses.

DH is just about wrapping up a gig that paid for our housing for the last 6 months, and it's a wonderful way to save tons of money. His work took care of booking the housing/bills and they just told us where/when to show up. It was awesome not having to set up utilities/find a place/apply, and if your work would do that for you I really recommend it!

The best weather in the country is coastal SD, so I hope you enjoy your time there!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 03:19:28 PM »
I grew up in that area and I recommend living as close to work as possible. San Diego has some of the worst traffic (imo even worse than LA) so try to find something within a couple miles of your job. There are a lot of colleges in that area, so be careful you don't end up in something that is basically glorified student housing, unless you are young and enjoy that crowd! PB is mostly college kids. La Jolla is mostly extremely wealthy old people. Torrey Pines is mostly campuses.

DH is just about wrapping up a gig that paid for our housing for the last 6 months, and it's a wonderful way to save tons of money. His work took care of booking the housing/bills and they just told us where/when to show up. It was awesome not having to set up utilities/find a place/apply, and if your work would do that for you I really recommend it!

The best weather in the country is coastal SD, so I hope you enjoy your time there!

La Jolla Cove is much more the younger crowd. There are plenty of restaurants, but there are also lots of people who live in the area just for access to the water and parks. My friends who live one block from the main drag have never mentioned going to any of the restaurants, but love the location.

maricela

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 03:29:03 PM »
Roommate would be ethical, sublet or airBNB would not.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »
Roommate would be ethical, sublet or airBNB would not.

Actually, since the rental will require the roommate to be on the lease, even that would likely not work out ethically.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!