Author Topic: $20 gifts that won't be in a landfill in six weeks?  (Read 13121 times)

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
Re: $20 gifts that won't be in a landfill in six weeks?
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2018, 08:50:58 AM »
Bed pillows. No one thinks to replace theirs despite sleeping on them night after night for years.

Throw cushions are iffier, it went over well years ago when we had a bunch of cousins all establishing households in a short time frame. Also a basic tool kit or picture hanging tools.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2018, 09:05:10 AM »
Precious metals like silver coins?
Nobody gives antiques. I've always found that interesting.

Antiques fall into three categories:

- Old junk that nobody wants
- Old stuff that's precious for emotional reasons
- Old stuff that's expensive

In the first instance, nobody wants it as a gift.  In the second and third nobody wants to give it.

Not necessarily. Although I agree that for a non-specific gift exchange, it would be tough to choose something that would be universally appreciated; hard to think of something much better than, say, and old silver dollar.

But back to the point about gifting antiques: My Dad and I are both woodworkers. I learned to save money on hand tools like planes, squares, chisels, etc. by finding inexpensive, unloved tools on eBay and putting in a little elbow grease to restore them to their former function and beauty. I would often find a $5 tool and turn it into something worth $40-50 that my Dad actually uses. Old tools were made far better than most consumer-grade modern versions, so it's a bargain for everybody involved, saving me money, my Dad ends up with a better-quality tool, and one less mass-produced piece of crap is brought into the world. This kind of gift requires insight into the recipient's needs and preferences, though, so it's not really apropos to the present topic.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »
Homemade vanilla extract.

Take a bottle of high proof vodka (or other high-proof alcohol if you prefer) and stick a bunch of B-grade vanilla pods in it.  Let soak- the longer the better.  Decant into smaller bottles!

I have a giant bottle of vodka I got at Costco that I use for this.  I stuck a ton of pods in there about a year ago.  I give as gifts and use it myself, adding more vodka as needed.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »
I have made vanilla extract too!

Also, you can make home made Kahlua: https://www.beanilla.com/blog/homemade-kahlua-recipe

Have made that too and to die for!

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2018, 08:46:11 AM »
I once took a ceramic chicken to one of these events and it was the hot gift of the night. Everyone stole the damn thing.  I don't know why. It was ugly.

When my (now college-age) daughter was 5, my husband found her in our shower, head in the corner, crying as if her sweet little heart would break. When he couldn't coax her to talk, he called in the expert. I finally was able to get her to tearfully say that her cousin Amanda ended up with the dancing chicken that she wanted so badly at our Christmas gift exchange. It played the chicken dance and flapped its wings and jumped around. It got stolen the maximum amount of times and ended up with 20 yr old Amanda, who happily dug it out when she heard how devastated her little cousin was.

Did I mention this little episode happened IN THE MONTH OF MAY? A lifetime of holding in grief for a 5 year old.

Moral of the story: never underestimate the value of chickens at gift exchanges.

P.S. Shortly after this she became a vegetarian for ethical reasons, and still is.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2018, 11:00:56 AM »
I once took a ceramic chicken to one of these events and it was the hot gift of the night. Everyone stole the damn thing.  I don't know why. It was ugly.

When my (now college-age) daughter was 5, my husband found her in our shower, head in the corner, crying as if her sweet little heart would break. When he couldn't coax her to talk, he called in the expert. I finally was able to get her to tearfully say that her cousin Amanda ended up with the dancing chicken that she wanted so badly at our Christmas gift exchange. It played the chicken dance and flapped its wings and jumped around. It got stolen the maximum amount of times and ended up with 20 yr old Amanda, who happily dug it out when she heard how devastated her little cousin was.

Did I mention this little episode happened IN THE MONTH OF MAY? A lifetime of holding in grief for a 5 year old.

Moral of the story: never underestimate the value of chickens at gift exchanges.

P.S. Shortly after this she became a vegetarian for ethical reasons, and still is.
I love this story.
We had that chicken. My MIL gave it to my son when he was a toddler for a gift. That was the day I knew she secretly hated me.

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »
If you are in a state of legality Marijuana! I'd love opening it up and seeing some fresh buds.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2018, 04:27:58 PM »
Costco has 2 reusable water bottles for $15 on black friday.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2018, 09:50:31 PM »
First, in your shoes, I might advocate to a switch to a "White Elephant," where everyone brings a goofy item they already own to exchange.  And then people can go through a swapping process if you want. It's so fun!

But if the generic $20 gift is something your family is into, my suggestions would be...

* a nice insulated food jar that can keep soups/stews hot for long periods

* a homemade pie? (and seconding the recommendations of other consumables like honey or maple syrup)

* since this is family, maybe a photo book, like the ones from Blurb, where you gather a bunch of digital or digitized family photos and have them printed in book form. You could add in some text about the memories you have shared.

* a cheap bluetooth speaker (I received one of these as a "cheap generic gift" myself. I LOVE it and use it almost every day for my podcasts).

Regarding wrapping paper... I've wrapped gifts in brown paper from grocery bags before. I decorate them with stencils so they look festive.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:58:37 PM by marble_faun »

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
I’d do a car first aid kit.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2018, 10:01:13 PM »
Along the food lines -- summer sausage (often doesn't need to be cold until opened) plus crackers? The cheese is tougher there but is also a bit more warm tolerant?

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2018, 12:25:46 AM »
I think this thread is proof that there is no fool-proof generic gift, especially if you can't do gift cards.  I don't drink coffee, I don't like chocolate.  Someone else may be allergic (or just sensitive) to specific scents or scented items in general.  Someone may have an robust emergency supply kit.  Bed pillows?  You bought firm and they like soft.  Some people love fancy soaps and candles; others think they are a silly waste.  Blankets and throws?  I've got those coming out of my ears, as do plenty of other people, I'm sure.

So really, there is no universal answer.  The good news is this frees you from the obligation of trying to find it.  Pick something you think 75% of your crowd would like and then stop thinking about it. 

NevermindScrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • At least weird is not boring
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2018, 02:16:47 AM »
There is indeed no universal answer, but among those that are mentioned here (totally stealing the honey idea!) there can be some that fit in the 75% range you mentioned.
We did a white elephant once with friends and the extension cord I brought was a great hit :)

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2018, 03:30:00 AM »
Two packs of playing cards and a book on how to play card games
A Scrabble set
A jigsaw puzzle (you can customise these with your own photo)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2018, 01:22:47 PM »
I think this thread is proof that there is no fool-proof generic gift, especially if you can't do gift cards.  I don't drink coffee, I don't like chocolate.  Someone else may be allergic (or just sensitive) to specific scents or scented items in general.  Someone may have an robust emergency supply kit.  Bed pillows?  You bought firm and they like soft.  Some people love fancy soaps and candles; others think they are a silly waste.  Blankets and throws?  I've got those coming out of my ears, as do plenty of other people, I'm sure.

So really, there is no universal answer.  The good news is this frees you from the obligation of trying to find it.  Pick something you think 75% of your crowd would like and then stop thinking about it.

Odds are high that you wipe your ass though . . . toilet paper FTW yet again!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2018, 01:28:54 PM »

Bidet enthusiasts are offended at your assumption.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2018, 05:14:54 PM »

Bidet folks use TP too, if only to pat dry.  It's more dignified than skootching along the bathmat.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2018, 06:57:27 PM »

Bidet folks use TP too, if only to pat dry.  It's more dignified than skootching along the bathmat.
So, that's what I've been doing wrong. My bathmat will be relieved to hear this update.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »
Came here looking for something useful for Christmas, instead found something useful for cheering me up today!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2018, 02:14:12 AM »

I do.  But TP happens to be one of the very few things about which I am a brand loyalist, and extremely picky. As someone with frequent... digestive distress, it makes a difference.  So anything except top shelf TP might not end up in a landfill, but it would end up being given to any friends who might have less discerning backsides. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2018, 04:30:56 AM »
Give your scratchy TP to The Goodwill. I am sure there are plenty of people who are not picky.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2018, 10:47:43 AM »

I do.  But TP happens to be one of the very few things about which I am a brand loyalist, and extremely picky. As someone with frequent... digestive distress, it makes a difference.  So anything except top shelf TP might not end up in a landfill, but it would end up being given to any friends who might have less discerning backsides.

That's why you always give the cheapest TP possible.  The really low quality stuff doubles as 600 grit sandpaper if you've got a prima donna ass, and the abrasive qualities mean you need to use less for it's intended purpose.

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2018, 10:59:42 AM »
Consumable items. Food, drink, soap. Personally I hate the now what after the holidays. Now what do I do with this, how do I store it, what else might it displace, is it another thing that needs to be cleaned/dusted...

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2018, 08:38:26 AM »
Maple syrup. A quart is about $16 here. Lasts indefinitely in the  fridge,and even the dieters need occasional French toast.  For a more expensive but amazing treat-  frontier Sugarworks does bourbon barrel aged maple syrup.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2018, 09:10:57 AM »
Maple syrup. A quart is about $16 here. Lasts indefinitely in the  fridge,and even the dieters need occasional French toast.  For a more expensive but amazing treat-  frontier Sugarworks does bourbon barrel aged maple syrup.

I have never seen maple syrup for sale here. I'm sure Whole Paycheck imports some, but that's a drive of nearly a hundred miles. However, I wonder if most regions wouldn't have a good local (or localish) equivalent. Here, that would be sorghum syrup.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2018, 09:18:52 AM »
One of those page-a-day desk calendars with cartoons or vocabulary words or trivia questions

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2018, 09:32:20 AM »
One of those page-a-day desk calendars with cartoons or vocabulary words or trivia questions

Yes, just bought my Hub one with sports trivia.

DrMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2018, 11:48:08 AM »
Reusable Trader Joe's Shopping bag filled with specialty goodies. There's a certain way you can fold the bag that makes it look like a gift box. Good luck!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2018, 06:02:30 PM »
Ended up with a contigo vacuum flask and some usb rechargeable AA batteries. I'm wrapping them in 50 cent Christmas scarves from a thrift store.

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2018, 07:56:31 PM »
I usually give toilet paper in these types of things.  Everyone needs it.  It won't end up in a landfill either (although it will in the sewers).  :P

For a "white elephant" stealing type exchange this is brilliant.

I mean I guess for a "serious, nice gift" it is actually brilliant too, I just don't know if it would be received that way.

I did something similar for White Elephant at work last year. I had just ordered TP from amazon and still had the box that showed TP picture. I put some really cheap TP inside and at the bottom put an echo dot. The person was not pleased at first... until he saw the echo dot, which was stolen from him immediately.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2018, 08:20:40 AM »
Ended up with a contigo vacuum flask and some usb rechargeable AA batteries. I'm wrapping them in 50 cent Christmas scarves from a thrift store.

Awesome!!

I just remembered that in the past, I've contributed multitools. They are usually the most coveted items!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2018, 09:39:34 AM »

We still have a 2013 Soduko a day calendar with like half the pages left.  I need to just throw it away, but we keep thinking we might do the puzzles.

These calendars are all junk to me.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2018, 06:06:35 PM »
For anyone thinking about this, I just noticed Echo Dots are $20 today for Cyber Monday.

mamamustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2018, 07:35:19 PM »
I love this thread. I need to bookmark it for every Christmas and birthday here on out.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2018, 08:35:21 AM »
Posting-to-follow

Lottery tickets are the perfect gift.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2018, 08:44:18 AM »

This is amazing. I vividly remember a rubber chicken at a white elephant having the same experience. Everyone wanted it. Why???

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »
Posting-to-follow

In what way? I'd consider that a non gift, you are highly unlikely to win anything at all so you're gifting someone a scrap of paper. Genuinely curious if other people would like that though, because I was at a double birthday party the other day and one birthday gift was a lottery ticket and the other was a gift card and I would so much rather get the gift card.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »

This is amazing. I vividly remember a rubber chicken at a white elephant having the same experience. Everyone wanted it. Why???

Because it is all junk anyway. Might as well get the funny junk.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2018, 10:55:28 AM »
Costco has 2 reusable water bottles for $15 on black friday.
This ^^^
I buy the contigo mugs for exchange gifts often. I love them so there is always something for me to try to steal that I know I like/want and will use.

Also emergency roadside kit
Shop Vac
Rechargeable Batteries
Battery pack to recharge electronics

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2018, 11:20:12 AM »
Anthropologie has these really pretty globes for $18.00... I got one for a Secret Santa exchange this year. Went with the pink and gold version since all participants are women, but they have other color options, too. I think a nice looking decorative piece like that appeals to a lot of people... I actually want to keep this for myself! It's small enough that it could fit in tons of places and like I said, they have multiple color options. Looks more expensive than $18, too.

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/kayla-nord-wanderlust-globe?category=SEARCHRESULTS&color=042

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »
Posting-to-follow

In what way? I'd consider that a non gift, you are highly unlikely to win anything at all so you're gifting someone a scrap of paper. Genuinely curious if other people would like that though, because I was at a double birthday party the other day and one birthday gift was a lottery ticket and the other was a gift card and I would so much rather get the gift card.

One of my coworkers got a bunch of scratch tickets for christmas. She told the giver to just give her the cash next time.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2019, 12:59:17 PM »
For one of our three, yes, three gift exchanges/stealing games, I bought a box of those Belgian gold chocolate "coins" and then added $15 worth of $1 and $2 scratch offs.  My nephew ended up with them, and was thrilled to win $22.  He left the chocolates behind!

I'm definitely bookmarking this thread, because these sort of gift exchanges are pretty much all we're doing with family and friends, now.

SweatingInAR

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »
Anthropologie has these really pretty globes for $18.00... I got one for a Secret Santa exchange this year. Went with the pink and gold version since all participants are women, but they have other color options, too. I think a nice looking decorative piece like that appeals to a lot of people... I actually want to keep this for myself! It's small enough that it could fit in tons of places and like I said, they have multiple color options. Looks more expensive than $18, too.

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/kayla-nord-wanderlust-globe?category=SEARCHRESULTS&color=042

I fly to visit family for Christmas, and this is pretty much exactly what I don't want to receive. Just give me some granola bars, nuts, and trail mix. Homemade preferred!

This year I had to lug home over 10 pounds of books, and I was hungry the whole flight!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2019, 06:01:49 PM »

I fly to visit family for Christmas, and this is pretty much exactly what I don't want to receive. Just give me some granola bars, nuts, and trail mix. Homemade preferred!

This year I had to lug home over 10 pounds of books, and I was hungry the whole flight!

Man, if I were flying in, there'd be no "had to" with books. They'd be staying at the home of the gifter.