Author Topic: $20 Cruiser huffy bicycle for 5 mile commutes?  (Read 1792 times)

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
$20 Cruiser huffy bicycle for 5 mile commutes?
« on: August 07, 2019, 07:11:20 PM »
How cheap do I go here?  Seems like the ultimate mustache bike

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
Re: $20 Cruiser huffy bicycle for 5 mile commutes?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 05:04:21 AM »
The biggest issue I’ve found with the cheap huffys is the assembly of the bicycle itself. Cranks are rarely torqued, leading to crankarms falling off, brakes poorly adjusted, wheels poorly tensioned. If you know how to work on bikes and are okay with a 35 pound hardtail 26er, a huffy just might work for you.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 05:18:30 AM »
5 miles each way, or 5 miles total?  Are there lots of hills or is it basically flat?

hard to say exactly without knowing what bike you are talking about, but beware of "Bicycle Shaped Objects" and poorly assembled bikes.  They are not safe and not mustachian. A $20 (used) bike could be a great bargain or a piece of crap that's penny-wise/pound foolish. We'd have to see it to know.

Properly cared for bicycles last decades with very modest maintenance costs.  Getting the *right* bike for you is more important IMO than saving a few hundred bucks upfront. A brand-spankin' new commuter with a service contract can be had at a bike shop for under $500, and if you know what you are looking for used versions pop up on CL for well under the $200 mark.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 06:03:51 AM »
I fall into the "get a decent bike" camp for a number of reasons.

The "bike shaped objects" are usually made of subpar materials, are not very well designed (ergonomically), need frequent adjustments, and will be worthy of the scrap heap sooner than you'd like.

Not to mention, trying to lug one 5 miles each way sounds like a great way to torture yourself (unless you're into that kind of thing).

There are plenty of great used bikes to be had. You can't go wrong with an older Trek, Giant, etc.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 08:13:12 AM »
I'd only get a huffy if you can check both boxes:

1) No stache (all money covers needs, hence the desire to minimize bicycle cost).

2) Live in a high bike theft area.

As others have mentioned, better value can be obtained without spending too much more money.

Junco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 09:47:42 AM »
Absolutely not, the bike will be garbage. You can spend $100-200 on Craigslist and get a very nice bike that will actually be FUN to ride and last for years if well maintained. Well worth the small investment. You can even sell it for the same price or more if you decide you don't want it years down the line. Also you don't want a cruiser for a 5 mile commute. Cruisers aren't meant for covering any significant distance. You want a road bike, mountain bike, or hybrid.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 10:01:18 AM »
Are you good at bike maintenance?  How much time and money would you have to spend to make it rideable?

After a lot of unsuccessful craigslist searching I recently bought a brand new couple model year old Raleigh cruiser for $160.  My partner put it together and made tons of tiny adjustments, and it is fabulous for my 1% grade 3 miles to and from town/work.  (To my shame, I am only riding about once a week.) 

It's a simple enough bike that I don't feel overwhelmed learning the maintenance, but that was definitely something that stopped me from purchasing/riding before.  Partner got himself a free hand-me-down bike and we've spent at least $100 on parts, and he has put many hours into maintaining it.  It's a good bike, and worth it for him, but seeing that definitely helped me with my decision. 

I haven't ridden in years and feel like I know nothing about bikes, but I can tell you that this bike just works.  It's smooth and easy to pedal.  I wish I could have bought used, but if I had to do more fiddling, or it was hard to ride then I just wouldn't ride and I think the ultimate mustachian bike is the one that you ride regularly.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:05:05 AM by PMG »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 11:58:30 AM »
To offer another perspective...

I bought an old heavy, rusted cruiser about 3+ years ago for my 3 mile commute for $50. Very basic, very boring, and likely all cheap parts. I love that thing and commuted an average of 4 days a week. I have also done a lot of 2-3 hr rides on that slow beast plus it has gone grocery shopping - lugging home so much styff I can barely keep the bike balanced lol. I have only had to fix flats, change a wheel, replace brakes at various times and fix the chain now and again. I hope it lasts forever.

My DH also has a cheap, half rusted Supercycle that does what it needs to do. He rides for up to an hour or so at a time and has no issues. Yes it is cheap and heavy and nothing like the fancy (and expensive) road bikes we also own - but so far it has been functional.

A nice bike is a real pleasure to ride. But we have had no issues with our el-cheapo, badly assembled yard sale finds either. I should add we are not mechanically inclined and are terrible at bike maintenance too.

DH just would not be able to handle parking a $200-500 bike anywhere - not even with a good bike lock. So it would be pointless for us as he would have a heart attack if I suggested parking it at a grocery store or at the pool.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 01:25:52 PM »
Absolutely not, the bike will be garbage. You can spend $100-200 on Craigslist and get a very nice bike that will actually be FUN to ride and last for years if well maintained. Well worth the small investment. You can even sell it for the same price or more if you decide you don't want it years down the line. Also you don't want a cruiser for a 5 mile commute. Cruisers aren't meant for covering any significant distance. You want a road bike, mountain bike, or hybrid.

+1

Get a used bike off craigslist. You want a semi-decent bike for commuting.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 01:28:59 PM »
I bought a 7-speed bicycle from walmart.com and put it together myself at home. Cost $90 altogether. I've been using it for 7 years now without any problems. Might be worth looking into.

BoonDogle

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 01:36:32 PM »
5 miles is an easy commute and you should be OK on about any old bike.  $20 is a small enough investment that if it didn't work out, you wouldn't be out much money.  If you get to the point that you want to do longer commutes, say 10+ miles, you may need to reassess your needs.  Or you may just decide you enjoy riding and it is time for an upgrade.  I am not a fan of department store bikes but my riding is much different than it sounds like yours will be.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 02:09:57 PM »
How cheap? I dont know, what's your life worth? Only takes one time for a loose rear derailler to jam in between your rear wheel spokes, thus forcibly ejecting you into traffic, to realize the value of a mechanically sound bike.

BoonDogle

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 03:06:07 PM »
Good point.  And while we are on the subject: Thinking of buying a cheap car - steering wheel could come loose, causing you to swerve in front of a fully loaded semi.  Cheap shoes - don't even think about it.  The sole could come loose and cause you to trip and hit your head on a nearby tree.  Cheap blender - why chance it....

Igelfreundin

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 05:48:59 PM »
I'll be a contrary voice. I bought a $25 garage sale special that was probably 20 years old and originally came from Walmart. I loved it. I commuted to work (2 miles round-trip, then 10 miles round-trip) until it eventually broke. Selling points: I didn't need fancy suspension, I never worried about it getting stolen,  and I could find out whether I really liked biking without committing a lot of money.

I replaced it with a bike that was much nicer (and cost $200 more, used) and sort of regret it. I bike almost every day but I don't bike fast and furious, so the cheap ones do everything I need.

Enviado desde mi LM-V350 mediante Tapatalk

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 07:07:34 PM »
Please don’t.  Being mustachian does not mean being cheap.

http://www.randomthoughts.fyi/2012/01/buying-bikes-from-craigslist.html

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 06:50:50 AM »
Wrong place to try to save money.  Buying a POS huffy is like throwing $20 down the toilet.  Get a decent bike by a reputable manufacturer.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!