Author Topic: YSL Perfume - "Libre"  (Read 3718 times)

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
YSL Perfume - "Libre"
« on: September 23, 2019, 04:43:45 AM »
LIBRE, the new Eau De Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent, represents the freedom to live everything to excess. Your boundless creativity, your complete emancipation, your ever-evolving femininity.

The perfume of a strong, bold and free woman experiencing her freedom at its most empowered extreme.

They keep playing ads for this on TV. It's $225 AUD for 90 ml. For the smell of freedom! Probably better off keeping the cash and adding it towards your FU fund for ACTUAL freedom.

I've never been into perfume. Some great purple prose, though.

The first floral lavender. The tension between the burning sensuality of an orange blossom from Morocco & the boldness of a lavender from France with a feminine twist. A singular trail like a breath of freedom.

A couture, sharp-angled bottle that is dually architecturally masculine and sensually feminine. The iconic YSL Cassandre – an oversized luxury accessory – is strikingly bent and nailed into the glass like a jewel. Sexy golden chains and an asymmetric black lacquered cap adorn the bottle to complete it as a manifesto of freedom and irreverence.

https://www.yslbeauty.com.au/fragrance/womens-perfume/libre-eau-de-parfum/WW-50424YSL.html

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: YSL Perfume - "Libre"
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 05:26:14 AM »
Yuck @ all the adjectives/adverbs.

Not even sure what emancipated means. We don't have slaves in Australia.

I think a woman (or man) who actually cares about the role of gender in society would blanche at the thought of gender essentialism in marketing being used to promote a gendered product.

Anyway, I would throw it in the same category as a typical LV/Gucci product, i.e., designed to appeal to new money only.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 05:33:56 AM »
"The perfume of a strong, bold and free woman experiencing her freedom at its most empowered extreme."

Guys...someone got paid to write that.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 06:35:35 AM »
I think it is marketed to  ladies in places like Saudi Arabia: they have lots of (new) money, little real freedom, and wear tons of perfume

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 06:54:16 AM »
I think it is marketed to  ladies in places like Saudi Arabia: they have lots of (new) money, little real freedom, and wear tons of perfume

+1.

When wife and I visit her sister and family in Dubai (they are expats), they want to take us to the malls. (Irony, we abhor and detest and stay away from malls here in the US.) I hate the damn perfume smells everywhere... damn, even the bathrooms in the upscale malls are soaking in scents.

Then they think I'm sick; all that perfume (expensive mixed with cheap) has clogged up my sinuses. Need some serious spicy food to clear sinuses and breathe cool A/C air. #DubaiLife

No, I'm allergic to manufactured scents.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 09:00:39 AM »
Yuck @ all the adjectives/adverbs.

Not even sure what emancipated means. We don't have slaves in Australia.

I think a woman (or man) who actually cares about the role of gender in society would blanche at the thought of gender essentialism in marketing being used to promote a gendered product.

Anyway, I would throw it in the same category as a typical LV/Gucci product, i.e., designed to appeal to new money only.

I mean, sure you have slaves in Australia... there are probably slaves in every country on earth. Most of them women, in fact.

But lol @ the idea that women's freedom is manifested through capitalism and purchasing power to douse oneself in a floral essence.

I do think that's a pretty common idea, though.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:06:26 AM by Kris »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 09:02:34 AM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMSfW3SxKlk

I guess I'm too old and cynical to buy into all this... Everything seems so contrived now - the hair, the tattoos, the motorcycle, the list of important reasons...

IRL I either like a thing or not. Don't need all that marketing BS.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 09:19:35 AM »
That price tag is probably why they call it "libre" instead of "gratuit".

I've never been a big YSL fan-- all those attention-seeking logos make me want to puke. Unless their fragrance smells like new leather luggage I expect it would have a similar effect on me.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 09:35:05 AM »
I mean, sure you have slaves in Australia... there are probably slaves in every country on earth. Most of them women, in fact.

But lol @ the idea that women's freedom is manifested through capitalism and purchasing power to douse oneself in a floral essence.

I do think that's a pretty common idea, though.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you are referring to sex workers (mostly women), although there is still an active slave trade in West Africa that is used for manufacturing and agriculture (mixed genders).

I'm referring to sex trafficking, not sex workers. But yes. And yes, there's also active non-sex-trafficking slave trade in West Africa, and also in the Middle East (and Asia, and... and...). In the aggregate, because sex trafficking more heavily enslaves women and girls, it's mostly women. Which I point out because of the context of female "emancipation" here.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:37:09 AM by Kris »

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 07:21:45 PM »
 I've never seen anything actually "nailed" into glass. Maybe cast into the glass / or glued onto the glass with fake nail heads attached....

The freedom at its most empowered extreme, to suffer through "the vapors" but have no-one know it was you who dealt them into the room.

Bring back the Ambergris !

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 12:22:31 AM »
I've never seen anything actually "nailed" into glass. Maybe cast into the glass / or glued onto the glass with fake nail heads attached....

The freedom at its most empowered extreme, to suffer through "the vapors" but have no-one know it was you who dealt them into the room.

I vote for glued ONTO the glass. LV doesn't do craftsmanship anymore and struggles to maintain quality in its glorified carrying cases.

When I pick up any ambergris in modern fragrance I loudly proclaim the fact. Ambergris is popular because it smells like human nether regions. That's actually good because a little bit goes a long way. Mostly modern perfume is artificial chemical shit designed to smell like a flower and mostly not succeeding. It gives me a headache.

I'm an amateur Nose and I can actually do fractional smelling. That's good, because I've lost most of my hearing and a fair bit of my eyesight. Before I go full Hellen Keller I'm planning a pilgrimage to Grasse in 2021. I've heard rumors that Fragonard combines the two key components that interest me. Nothing will satisfy me until I check it out in person, and until then I follow the Napoleonic concept: I will do it myself, or there will be "rien". Mostly, in the meantime, I do my own. My signature fragrances are called "Lust in a Bottle", "L'Adepte", and "Gently", which I mostly use for candles. I think I wrote them down somewhere, except for "L'Adepte", which I created for an ex-girlfriend. Oops. "Lust in a Bottle" is my personal fragrance, which reacts with my slightly acidic body chemistry. It took me years to develop and instead of the single-tone concept or the three-note concept it's based off of the power chord on an electric guitar.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 03:23:46 AM »
I've not bought alcohol-based perfume in maybe 30 years, but recently ran into Vivacite de Bach and after one whiff kept coming back to smell it. Made of 100% flowers, herbs, etc. It brings me incredible happiness and has the complexities you only get from natural scents, very rare and difficult to achieve. Eventually purchased some. Wasn't cheap but wasn't crazy expensive either.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 05:30:49 AM »
Every time someone mentions ambergris I get the giggles, remembering the episode of Futurama. Especially Kif saying "Precious hamburgers?"

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 07:47:18 AM »
I don't 'get' the expensive store bought perfumes at all.  You can purchase essential oils incredibly cheaply.  Just mix up whatever stinky stuff tickles your fancy and then wipe yourself down with some of that in the morning.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 09:03:21 AM »
I don't 'get' the expensive store bought perfumes at all.  You can purchase essential oils incredibly cheaply.  Just mix up whatever stinky stuff tickles your fancy and then wipe yourself down with some of that in the morning.

This is also a very good strategy for preventing picking up bedbugs in public places. Just in case you wanted to know that, lol.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »
I went into Tokyo for the day with a friend who needed to exchange for size the Very Fancy shoes (those of the red sole) her spouse had given her for her birthday.  While waiting at the counter for them to fetch her size, I tried a perfume they had sitting out.  I've been looking literally  for years and years for a scent I like, and suddenly, I thought I'd found it.

~$350.

I am still looking for a fragrance. 

It now occurs to me that I could probably do a search for the notes in that fragrance and see if I can find anything similar.  For about 1/3 the price. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 12:42:08 PM »
I went into Tokyo for the day with a friend who needed to exchange for size the Very Fancy shoes (those of the red sole) her spouse had given her for her birthday.  While waiting at the counter for them to fetch her size, I tried a perfume they had sitting out.  I've been looking literally  for years and years for a scent I like, and suddenly, I thought I'd found it.

~$350.

I am still looking for a fragrance. 

It now occurs to me that I could probably do a search for the notes in that fragrance and see if I can find anything similar.  For about 1/3 the price.

You can probably google it and search for "generic" or "knockoff" or something.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 09:44:40 PM »
 Something i learned from "Queer eye for the straight guy "  TV show

"Spray" - up into the air in front of self
" Delay" -  wait a second
 "Than walk away" - thru the gently falling cologne / perfume mist...

But mostly i get by with lingering oil and car wrenching smells and / or faint smell of manly musk after workout plus shower !

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2019, 08:13:51 AM »

But mostly i get by with lingering oil and car wrenching smells and / or faint smell of manly musk after workout plus shower !

I feel like this sort of silliness was created by perfume companies.  If you need to waste a large portion of the product while applying because the dispenser sprays too much, the fix should not be a convoluted set of actions to minimize your contact with the product.  It should be to fix the dispenser so that it expels a more suitable dose for application.

Less wasteful, no goofy perfume dance required.

Debonair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DebonairDylan
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 01:40:39 AM »

I vote for glued ONTO the glass. LV doesn't do craftsmanship anymore and struggles to maintain quality in its glorified carrying cases.

When I pick up any ambergris in modern fragrance I loudly proclaim the fact. Ambergris is popular because it smells like human nether regions. That's actually good because a little bit goes a long way. Mostly modern perfume is artificial chemical shit designed to smell like a flower and mostly not succeeding. It gives me a headache.

I'm an amateur Nose and I can actually do fractional smelling. That's good, because I've lost most of my hearing and a fair bit of my eyesight. Before I go full Hellen Keller I'm planning a pilgrimage to Grasse in 2021. I've heard rumors that Fragonard combines the two key components that interest me. Nothing will satisfy me until I check it out in person, and until then I follow the Napoleonic concept: I will do it myself, or there will be "rien". Mostly, in the meantime, I do my own. My signature fragrances are called "Lust in a Bottle", "L'Adepte", and "Gently", which I mostly use for candles. I think I wrote them down somewhere, except for "L'Adepte", which I created for an ex-girlfriend. Oops. "Lust in a Bottle" is my personal fragrance, which reacts with my slightly acidic body chemistry. It took me years to develop and instead of the single-tone concept or the three-note concept it's based off of the power chord on an electric guitar.

I only understood half but it all intrigued me. However now I know why  ambergris is desired for perfume. 

My wife sprays a bunch on her in the morning to the point I have breathing problems of I am in the same room.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2019, 02:04:49 AM »

I feel like this sort of silliness was created by perfume companies.  If you need to waste a large portion of the product while applying because the dispenser sprays too much, the fix should not be a convoluted set of actions to minimize your contact with the product.  It should be to fix the dispenser so that it expels a more suitable dose for application.

The host would give the cologne One squirt. To initiate spray,delay, walk away.  The idea was most people will over-do it with several squirts, on several different body areas.  Too much smell, overkill.  His idea was you walked thru the mist which spread one atomized squirt nicely over the top half of the body.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 02:28:57 AM by six-car-habit »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2019, 08:33:29 AM »

The host would give the cologne One squirt. To initiate spray,delay, walk away.  The idea was most people will over-do it with several squirts, on several different body areas.  Too much smell, overkill.  His idea was you walked thru the mist which spread one atomized squirt nicely over the top half of the body.

So, there's perfume (or "pure perfume" as it is ironically marketed) which is highly concentrated. It's basically the highest concentration of essential oil you can get in an alcohol based carrier. The carrier is saturated to the point where you can't add any more of the fragrance containing oils or chemicals. This isn't designed to be sprayed. It's designed to be dabbed sparingly. A little bit goes a long way and it's not unusual to measure it in cc or mL instead of ounces. You put it on the skin directly and the fragrance lasts all day but doesn't travel far.

Eau de toilette comes in an atomizer and is diluted by a factor of about 10. It's sprayed on the skin and it tends to waft randomly in all directions. A person tends to use far more and the result is that it sticks to everything and you can smell someone wearing it two or three meters away.

Eau de cologne is kind of in between.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2019, 08:50:36 AM »
My first real job was for a cosmetics company, after working in a cosmetics department during college. The cosmetics line is now only sold in Asia, and the department store no longer sells cosmetics and is fighting for survival. I understand every word of what's been written so far, and miss none of it. I don't wear fragrance at all, but I still have an unopened bottle of perfume on display in a cabinet in my bathroom. The bottle is crystal and I think it's pretty, but i would never use it. It boggles my mind to think how much money is spent on stuff like this.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 09:11:42 AM »

I use Armor-All for cologne. Cheaper than the men's stores at the mall.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2019, 03:21:11 PM »
 Haha - Armor-all - yeah maybe i could use that for the smell and to buff my head to a glossy shine.

Thanks for the deeper info grim squeaker

Panda - you are spot on. My Dad works [ at 70 yrs old , booo - hiss ! ]  at Estee Lauder on the production lines. With the exception of maybe " Le Mer" skin creme, he says the cost of the packaging - container / labeling / stickers / cap / outer display box -- is way more expensive than the "mass" inside the bottle.
  Also they run lots of overtime at his production/ packaging facility , so there are no shortage of customers, and Asia is continuing to have more gains.