Author Topic: YouTubers Spending Tons of Money  (Read 8699 times)

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
YouTubers Spending Tons of Money
« on: June 02, 2017, 10:44:36 AM »
So lately I have been looking at the phenomenon of YouTuber personalities who have daily vlogs (video blogs). Many of these people are no doubt successful at what they do but at the same time, there's a culture within the Youtubers to purchase really expensive cars that are 100k or more. 

I had a passing thought that I'd hope that these YouTubers have some form of financial advice to ensure that if for example YouTube eventually shuts down for instance that they can still live off of their earnings through index funds and invest instead of purchasing more extravagant expenses.

An example of a YouTuber who got a new car at the age of 16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS8Lj9nl3dE

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
Re: YouTubers Spending Tons of Money
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:46:29 AM »
"Youtuber Financial Advisor." I don't know, dmac- sounds like maybe you've found a niche!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 12:07:31 PM »
Yeah the videos are insane. My favorite has to be a lady who went out and bought a $1000 nectar collector (type of pipe for dabbing) even though she mentioned earlier that she was behind on her rent. There are perfectly great nectar collectors out there for under $100 and yet she had to buy a "special edition" version of the same thing. To be fair, it looked beautiful and likely works like a champ.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 12:28:27 PM »
Just like traditional television, it wouldn't surprise me if much of that is staged for the camera to attract an audience.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 01:30:49 PM »
Just like traditional television, it wouldn't surprise me if much of that is staged for the camera to attract an audience.

There are without a doubt YouTube's who make more than the cost of the product by making the video, so it's a business expense.
But others are just copying the lifestyle they see. And going into deep debt.

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 01:54:04 PM »
"Youtuber Financial Advisor." I don't know, dmac- sounds like maybe you've found a niche!
I think so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »

There are without a doubt YouTube's who make more than the cost of the product by making the video, so it's a business expense.
But others are just copying the lifestyle they see. And going into deep debt.

I think some it it could be staged but also yes I think many they consider business expenses of sort.  Not sure how the views correlate into money but I'm sure they get paid well for 100,000+ views.

surfhb

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »
He probably make $500K a year based on his subscribe numbers.   Damn!

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 09:43:30 PM »
It depends a lot on your niche and it varies some from year to year but a good rule of thumb is $1 per 1000-2000 views. Even someone with 100 videos with 100k views each probably only made about $5k-10k. No where near enough to live off of. Granted once your follower numbers get that high, each new video becomes worth $100 but it takes a long time to get to those numbers.

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 09:57:20 PM »
It depends a lot on your niche and it varies some from year to year but a good rule of thumb is $1 per 1000-2000 views. Even someone with 100 videos with 100k views each probably only made about $5k-10k. No where near enough to live off of. Granted once your follower numbers get that high, each new video becomes worth $100 but it takes a long time to get to those numbers.

Super interesting, didn't know that statistic at all. Thanks for sharing, how did you arrive at those figures?

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 12:23:09 AM »
Those people care only about appearances.

They'll rent a luxury car for a week-end to shoot a video, or stay at a high-end hotel for 2 nights and pretend they were there the whole week. So it doesn't have to cost that much.

Even if they buy a car, they can always resell it and not spend the whole amount. It only costs $100k if you use it for like 10 years.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 12:05:02 PM »

Super interesting, didn't know that statistic at all. Thanks for sharing, how did you arrive at those figures?

I'm friends in real life with a number of RV vloggers and every once in a while a popular gaming vlogger will post a tell-all with their current rates. This Quora page links to some similar analyses: https://www.quora.com/What-is-average-CPM-for-YouTube-promoted-video

That said, that is purely the youtube ads. If a vlogger gets private sponsorship, they can make significantly more. That's where the real money is.

Interestingly, more than once I've heard that rates go up in the run up to a presidential election because the PACs buy out so much ad space.

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 12:21:24 PM »

I'm friends in real life with a number of RV vloggers and every once in a while a popular gaming vlogger will post a tell-all with their current rates. This Quora page links to some similar analyses: https://www.quora.com/What-is-average-CPM-for-YouTube-promoted-video

That said, that is purely the youtube ads. If a vlogger gets private sponsorship, they can make significantly more. That's where the real money is.

Interestingly, more than once I've heard that rates go up in the run up to a presidential election because the PACs buy out so much ad space.

Super interesting, thanks! Speaking of which, say I wanted to make a YouTube channel. From a money standpoint should it start as a hobby and then possibly grow to have a greater income? One doesn't typically jump from 100 views to 1 million over night. I'd be curious from an effort standpoint hiw much time to dedicate and then decide whether it's worth it. I've thought of creating affiliate sites and blogs. The "grind" though from starting out seems to not be very profitable and makes me hesitant.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »

Super interesting, thanks! Speaking of which, say I wanted to make a YouTube channel. From a money standpoint should it start as a hobby and then possibly grow to have a greater income? One doesn't typically jump from 100 views to 1 million over night. I'd be curious from an effort standpoint hiw much time to dedicate and then decide whether it's worth it. I've thought of creating affiliate sites and blogs. The "grind" though from starting out seems to not be very profitable and makes me hesitant.

I think you'll find that most successful channels/creators were around for a few years before they hit it big...and that's if you're good at it.  Many others will be at it for years and never get more than a few thousands views per video.  It's sorta akin to starting a blog purely to make money.

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »

I think you'll find that most successful channels/creators were around for a few years before they hit it big...and that's if you're good at it.  Many others will be at it for years and never get more than a few thousands views per video.  It's sorta akin to starting a blog purely to make money.

I agree and see what you mean. How do you the determine whether it's worth the effort?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 12:42:03 PM »

I agree and see what you mean. How do you the determine whether it's worth the effort?

I suppose that's up to you.  If you enjoy the work and happen to earn some extra money on the side, it might be worth it.  If you are spending 40+ hrs on top of your other job each week and only earn a few pennies, it might not be worth it.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 05:05:41 PM »
I admit I frequent the trending page on YouTube and watch a few videos, but none from Vloggers.  99% of that crap is staged/made up.  I also find it super annoying when the screenshot preview is a pic of the vlogger with an expression of disbelief and the title of the video is something like "You wont believe the jacked new car I got".  Anything to keep the content fresh, right?

That being said, I'm sure some of the bigger stars do bring in some good money.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 07:51:05 PM »
Read an article somewhere about a teenage girl who is making a lot of money with videos about slime, and then bought a house for her family with the proceeds. The house is in California so cost a huge amount and the rest of her family is poor, so probably not the best investment, but <shrug>.