Author Topic: Your New Phone Will Probably Cost You $1,000!  (Read 23255 times)

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
Your New Phone Will Probably Cost You $1,000!
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:23:48 AM »
I almost crapped myself when I saw this headline! Have had the family on Republic Wireless for 5 years now, and have only replaced phones once each in that amount of time. Upgraded DW and I - splurged on their $200 model - kids got gently used models from Ebay for ~ $50 each. I love technology as much as the next guy, but $1,000 for a phone is incomprehensible to me. It honestly makes me sad for those whose lives aren't complete without the latest and greatest gadget...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/your-next-phone-will-probably-cost-you-dollar1000/ar-AArGCUm?li=BBnbfcL

FINate

• Magnum Stache
Re: Your New Phone Will Probably Cost You $1,000!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 09:44:23 AM »
One could eat $12 avocado toast once a week for over a year and a half for that ;-)

Yeah, I don't get it either. My Moto G5 Plus from RW was $229 and does everything a more expensive phone does. It still blows my mind that I walk around with a computer in my pocket that's way more powerful and functional than the desktop PCs I used in the mid-90s, that can call/text and is wirelessly connected to the internet at all times and has GPS/location capabilities and contains my entire digital music library on a tiny chip the size of my fingernail.

When you stop and think about how amazing these little devices are it does make you wonder why people would pay 4x more for aesthetics or a screen that is very marginally larger because it goes all the way to the edge. SMH.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:53:52 AM »
I bought my last phone for nearly $400 and I thought it was a guilty anti-Mustachian splurge on my part to finally own a smartphone that actually had the latest Android OS. I certainly wouldn't have done it for $1000. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze out at least four years of service out of it before my tech lust overcomes me again.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »
" September 21, 1983, Motorola made history when the FCC approved the 8000X, the world's first commercial portable cell phone."

it cost $4,000, in 1983

$10k today!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:18:55 AM »
I didn't read the article but I have guessed that the new Iphones that come in a year or two will be $1000+. I'm sure phone companies will find a way to market them with less sticker shock (charge X per month if you have a plan with them). Makes me glad that as I use my phone primarily for work I don't have to pay for it.

aFrugalFather

• Stubble
    • Life/Finance Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »
You can get brand new iPhone SEs for ~$130 at Walmart and $140 at Best Buy.  Not cheap but dang good bang for the buck.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 11:50:13 AM »
The worst part are all the folks who insist on upgrading EVERY year, no matter if their old phone was more than adequate.  WTF?  Most are on expensive plans that blow my mind.

We went down the $200 phone route, and they came with so much bloatware that they became unusable.  Auto-updates would cause apps you could not get rid of to grow to fill all the available internal memory space and make the thing unable to make calls. 

I see the imminent upgrade as a chance to get a 6S for the wife on clearance since her 3 year old iPhone 5 is rather worse for wear right now.  My $400 Nexus 6 is still going strong, and was about the cheapest pure android phone without bloatware I could find when I got it 2 years ago.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 06:43:54 PM »
One could eat $12 avocado toast once a week for over a year and a half for that ;-)
I ate an avocado toast in my own kitchen last night.  Cost was less than $1, and it was a fine dinner. 

As for the $1000, some people might justify it because if you keep the phone for two years, you're talking about less than $10/week.  Personally, I don't get it because I am not addicted to my phone and don't choose to spend big for the latest and greatest item.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 08:07:04 PM »
You can get brand new iPhone SEs for ~$130 at Walmart and $140 at Best Buy.  Not cheap but dang good bang for the buck.
Link please.

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
... My Moto G5 Plus from RW was $229 ...

Where did you get this?  I'd like a new phone, but Amazon.ca has the 32 gig model for ~350cdn (~288 USD).  Still cheaper than most of the other options I've seen...

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 11:48:36 PM »
... My Moto G5 Plus from RW was $229 ...

Where did you get this?  I'd like a new phone, but Amazon.ca has the 32 gig model for ~350cdn (~288 USD).  Still cheaper than most of the other options I've seen...

https://republicwireless.com/phones/moto-g5-plus/?product-param.condition=new&product-param.color=%23AF9B8C&product-param.capacity=32

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 11:50:20 PM »
I almost crapped myself when I saw this headline! Have had the family on Republic Wireless for 5 years now, and have only replaced phones once each in that amount of time. Upgraded DW and I - splurged on their $200 model - kids got gently used models from Ebay for ~ $50 each. I love technology as much as the next guy, but $1,000 for a phone is incomprehensible to me. It honestly makes me sad for those whose lives aren't complete without the latest and greatest gadget...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/your-next-phone-will-probably-cost-you-dollar1000/ar-AArGCUm?li=BBnbfcL

And what's even more awesome: Many of the people forking over 1K will also stand in line to pick up their Precious in the day it is released.

I personally don't mind at all. I like the fact that the new iPhone is going to drive the cost down on previous models. I saved $250 on my 6+S, in two years I'll buy the 7 at a steep discount, and so on.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »
I should disclose my ownership of multiple Apple mobile devices. (one of the reasons I own many is that they're very durable) But, dang, there's a lot of unnecessary yet expensive tech in these things.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2017/09/why_you_ll_pay_for_apple_s_1_000_iphone.html

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »
Is it going to have a headphone jack?
SMH

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 09:47:02 AM »
This cellphone fad will die out sooner or later.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:30 AM »

Makes a $1000 phone look that much more rediculous.  It's diminishing returns after this.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »
This cellphone fad will die out sooner or later.

I see the opposite as a likely scenario too. The relatively new format of financing a phone for 12-24 months once carriers stopped subsidizing the costs has conditioned many (maybe most?) people into thinking that this is completely normal. It does not seem implausible that people are now conditioned to believe that they will always have an addition $25-50 fee on their monthly bill that is going towards the cost of the phone. The markets have mimicked the mantra of car ownership and perpetual car payment and continue this along with phones.

I always balk at this but as we know, we are not like the majority so we see things a bit differently.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »
I didn't read the article but I have guessed that the new Iphones that come in a year or two will be $1000+. I'm sure phone companies will find a way to market them with less sticker shock (charge X per month if you have a plan with them). Makes me glad that as I use my phone primarily for work I don't have to pay for it.
Sticker shock will be dealt with the same as cars.  When I was coming out of college, most car loans were 36 months.  48 was crazy long.  Now we have 72 months and I've seen some 84.  Given that sucker consumers never keep their cars that long they just sign on to a perpetual payment, much like a lease.  So they'll extend the phone payment outs to 36 months now which will place the payment between $27-$28/month right about what they are now and even a little less than the last iPhone which was $31.25 for the 24 month term.  So they'll sell it to people as less expensive, because $27 is less than $31.25.  And most will go right along since they can't actually do math. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 11:52:59 AM »
Sticker shock will be dealt with the same as cars.  When I was coming out of college, most car loans were 36 months.  48 was crazy long.  Now we have 72 months and I've seen some 84.  Given that sucker consumers never keep their cars that long they just sign on to a perpetual payment, much like a lease.  So they'll extend the phone payment outs to 36 months now which will place the payment between $27-$28/month right about what they are now and even a little less than the last iPhone which was $31.25 for the 24 month term.  So they'll sell it to people as less expensive, because $27 is less than $31.25.  And most will go right along since they can't actually do math.

Agreed. And I'm sure the companies will throw in a kicker where you can trade in your phone each year for only $____ to get the latest model.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »

Agreed. And I'm sure the companies will throw in a kicker where you can trade in your phone each year for only $____ to get the latest model.
Sadly, most phones seem to start to go nuts after two years.  If you're into conspiracy theories might want to even say that they design them to fail, i.e. engineered obsolescence.  I'm happy that my current phone has made it as long as it has and I will ride this one into the ground, but previous basic phones barely made it to the two year mark before they basically ceased to function, and I'm really careful with my phones.  I think if they extend there contracts phones will fail before they end and people will be in that cycle like with cars.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 12:40:07 PM »

Sadly, most phones seem to start to go nuts after two years.  If you're into conspiracy theories might want to even say that they design them to fail, i.e. engineered obsolescence.  I'm happy that my current phone has made it as long as it has and I will ride this one into the ground, but previous basic phones barely made it to the two year mark before they basically ceased to function, and I'm really careful with my phones.  I think if they extend there contracts phones will fail before they end and people will be in that cycle like with cars.

No conspiracy theories necessary.  Apple (for example) is well known for releasing IOS updates that purposely slow down older hardware immediately before they do new product launches.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
And what's even more awesome: Many of the people forking over 1K will also stand in line to pick up their Precious in the day it is released.

And then will probably proceed to bitch about how they never have any money, life is so expensive, blah blah.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 04:04:46 PM »

And then will probably proceed to bitch about how they never have any money, life is so expensive, blah blah.

The people who insist on treating the phones poorly, dropping them and breaking their screens or letting their children use them as toys, will be even worse off. The thing with phone deals is... you can't get out of them except by paying them off. A used phone that retailed for $700 new is frequently worth only $70 used.

Unfortunately, I know people who truly believe that a $700 phone is "no big deal" because it's "only" another $30 per month or thereabouts, when spread over two years. That's "just" a dollar a day. So why not get a new phone every year, or even every few months, along with all the doodads that go with it such as cases and screen protectors? Come to think of it, why bother to take care of a phone at all? The fact that the expenses all mount up and turn into an unavoidable drain on future cash flow, preventing money from being invested or used for other purposes, doesn't seem to occur to them.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »
Link please.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/simple-mobile-apple-iphone-se-4g-lte-with-32gb-memory-prepaid-cell-phone-rose-gold/5859415.p?skuId=5859415
Sadly locked to SIMPLE Mobile (i.e. you are paying the balance through however they jack up the monthly costs, or trim down the coverage they contract for), not an unlocked phone to take to Ting or wherever you please.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:34:08 PM by moof »

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 06:03:56 PM »
A few months ago, I spent $40 (after rebates- $70 initial price) on a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime.

That is, by far, the most I ever spent on a cell phone.  My previous flip phone, which is about 4 years old, and I'm still using it because it works fine and I haven't bothered to set up the "smart" phone yet cost $19.95.

Yeah, that Samsung probably has 2014 or 2015 technology.  It ain't the latest "Gee whiz" stuff.  But it does what it needs to do.

Wait a few years, and you'll be able to get everything that "Hey, look at me, I just blew $1,000 on a flashy cell phone!" iPhone has, for probably $100 or less.

Although in 4-5 years, it won't have the "Hey, look at me, I've got the coolest new phone" effect, which is largely what the folks who "need" a new phone every year are looking for...

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have a $40 cell phone and $960 in a good ETF, than have a $1,000 cell phone and no ETF.   Even worse, many of those suckers are buying the phone on credit.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »
Gotta hand it to the marketing geniuses at AAPL that get people to keep buying these things.  They haven't done anything innovative in 10 yrs, yet they continuously make you feel like you previous gen iPhone is now worthless.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 06:39:52 PM »
Good luck finding a two-year old iPhone for $100. They hold their value a lot better than other smartphones. For $100 you get a 5S which was released in 2013, and won't get updates much longer.

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 04:29:26 AM »
Buying a new phone for $1k just doesn't make alot of sense. I've been buying used for a while now- I absolutely splurged on my latest: used Galaxy S 7 for $300 in Feb. It's a great phone, pretty happy with it.

sportse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 04:50:15 AM »
Apple will finance your £1,000 phone here in the UK... at 18% interest!

I went from a Samsung note 4 to a Moto G and found it actually had better performance without the bloatware is.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 05:11:18 AM »

Of course. It's a well-known sales tactic:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/16297566/apple-iphone-x-8-plus-trade-in-t-mobile-att-verizon-sprint

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 06:40:26 AM »
Link please.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/simple-mobile-apple-iphone-se-4g-lte-with-32gb-memory-prepaid-cell-phone-rose-gold/5859415.p?skuId=5859415
Sadly locked to SIMPLE Mobile (i.e. you are paying the balance through however they jack up the monthly costs, or trim down the coverage they contract for), not an unlocked phone to take to Ting or wherever you please.

Damn, good call. I did find one for $200 at Fry's nearby, but that's significantly more than $130. They're all over ebay for $200 as well.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 06:52:00 AM »
Did anybody else watch Apple's event yesterday?  I did, because my son is a tech geek and had it on the TV.  It was horrifying to watch, and I don't even consider myself a true mustachian.  The way they talked about the new iPhone X made it sound like it was life changing and revolutionary.  You'd have thought it was the cure for cancer.  But the main "improvements" were:
1. No home button.  You wake up the phone by looking into it.
2. A ridiculous emoji feature that lets you send texts to your friends as if you are an emoji talking to them in your voice.  Seriously.  They showed an example of sending a message as a poop emoji.  http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/apples-new-iphone-x-you-11158387?service=responsive
And they waxed eloquent on the beauty of the phone, its medical-grade stainless-steel finish, etc etc etc.
People will be lined up to pay between $1000-$1200 for this in November.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 07:05:43 AM »
It has facial recognition!  When it sees you it thinks: "I recognize that face!  That's the face of the dumbass who dropped a grand on a phone!"

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 07:23:58 AM »
2. A ridiculous emoji feature that lets you send texts to your friends as if you are an emoji talking to them in your voice.  Seriously.  They showed an example of sending a message as a poop emoji.  http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/apples-new-iphone-x-you-11158387?service=responsive

They just jumped the shark.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 07:39:10 AM »
That press conference made me fear for our society.  I spent the next hour online looking at acreage for sale.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 08:56:12 AM »

They just jumped the shark.
As a tech geek, I read a liveblog of the keynote yesterday, and this "animoji" madness was by far the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen.  Nobody asked for that.  I get that they're trying to show off their facial tracking (which appears to be quite good underlying tech), but there had to have been a less dumb way to do that.

My takeaways of the presentation:
-iPhone 8 and 8+ should have been called the 7s and 7s+.  If you didn't already want a 7, there's nothing new here.  Marginally bumped specs and wireless charging.  Bo-ring.
-iPhone X is the "real" new iPhone.  It looks to be great, but certainly not $999 great.  We'll see.  They've gone Windows 10 style with their numbering, which surely won't confuse anyone.  I'm sure there will be (major or minor) issues with the whole no-home-button paradigm that they'll fix on iPhone XI.
-They're keeping the two-year-old 6s around at an increased discount.  That's interesting.  I'm sure they noticed people liked the $399 iPhone SE.

Also, Tim Cook does not at all have the charisma and enthusiasm of Steve Jobs.  Just for fun, last night I watched part of Jobs' 2007 presentation where he announced the first iPhone.  Now that's how you show off new stuff.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 10:01:10 AM »
No way would I shell out a grand on a gaming and poop emoji iPhoneX, but they dropped the price on the unlocked SE, 6S, and 7 to $349, $449, and $549. 

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 01:55:50 PM »

I went from a Samsung note 4 to a Moto G and found it actually had better performance without the bloatware is.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk
my son has the Moto G. The screen's not as nice as my S 7 but he likes it

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 04:02:52 PM »
Try as I might, I couldn't avoid the news about the new iCrap being announced yesterday.  I watched a video by the Verge about the new iPhones, and sure enough in the comments, were posts like "broke android fanbois can't afford the new iPhone...".

For some reason this stuff really triggered me.  There is a reason Apple is one of the wealthiest and most profitable companies in the world, because their iSheep consumers don't mind grabbing their ankles and bending over to let Apple have another one.  In many forums, iSheep will even post "Apple makes the most profit of any smartphone maker!"... as if proclaiming that your vendor makes the most amount of money off you is a great thing.

I can never understand this fetish for over-priced Apple hardware.  To pay $1k for a smartphone is beyond absurd.  I work in tech and make well over 6 figures, but even I would never foolishly flash $1k for a smartphone. 

Am I that out of touch with the rest of America that will line up in front of Apple stores and buy out the new iPhones at launch?  In my world, Apple would go broke or at least price their phones 50% less.  If everyone lived like me, I don't think Apple would do very well.

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »
Am I that out of touch with the rest of America that will line up in front of Apple stores and buy out the new iPhones at launch?  In my world, Apple would go broke or at least price their phones 50% less.  If everyone lived like me, I don't think Apple would do very well.

I'm sitting in a room with at least 4 smart well paid techs who are planning to do exactly that. They can't not, they have to have the latest thing. It's not even logical anymore, they don't even really care about any of the "features." It's just they can't bear to be left out of having one. They all have the Apple iPhone Upgrade thing so it's the same $56 a month whichever. iPhones have become like cars - everyone expects to just upgrade every x years and always have a payment.

I had to crank up my headphones so I didn't hear the event yesterday (of course we had to watch it in IT). Considering all the disasters happening currently, watching Apple flaunt their excruciating wealth was just sickening. AND they played "All You Need Is Love" as their opener. I CAN'T EVEN.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »
You are that out of touch with the world because you want to save money.  This forum is a sheltered community of anti-establishment thought.  I think you know that, but just supporting your stance.  Smartphone costs have been absurd for years.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 09:22:06 AM »
Try as I might, I couldn't avoid the news about the new iCrap being announced yesterday.  I watched a video by the Verge about the new iPhones, and sure enough in the comments, were posts like "broke android fanbois can't afford the new iPhone...".

I was enjoying reading the comments on a Forbes article about it. I had to inject some trolling - "As a shareholder, I'm LOVING this herd mentality!"

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2017, 10:06:24 AM »
You are that out of touch with the world because you want to save money.  This forum is a sheltered community of anti-establishment thought.  I think you know that, but just supporting your stance.  Smartphone costs have been absurd for years.

At the end of the day, prices will be what the market will bear. I import a lot of products and it shocks me to see what they end up retailing for. That said, it also makes me happy because it supports my livelihood....at least until I've accumulated my FU money.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2017, 10:28:30 AM »
I got a new IPhone, in 2011 when it was cool....now everybody is doing it.

lol, 2 1/2 yo RW phone moto something calls and text,sometimes has problems, cracked screen, still have my original RW phone with shattered screen and will use as a backup in case this one goes suddenly. use it as a music player at work.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
I got a new IPhone, in 2011 when it was cool....now everybody is doing it.

lol, 2 1/2 yo RW phone moto something calls and text,sometimes has problems, cracked screen, still have my original RW phone with shattered screen and will use as a backup in case this one goes suddenly. use it as a music player at work.
I remember when having a blackberry was a status symbol. First it was only executives. Then their secretaries started having them. Next thing you know, everyone and their moms was chatting on BBM.

Apple has something like 50% of the US smartphone market. Whether it's wise or not for people to drop $700 on a smartphone, they stopped being exclusive a long time ago.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
This wireless charging thing...

before: plug one end of a wire to an USB port then plug the other end to your phone.
after: plug one end of a wire to an USB port then place your phone on top of the other end.

I'm ordering 3.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2017, 11:24:26 AM »

before: plug one end of a wire to an USB port then plug the other end to your phone. Then unplug your phone. Repeat multiple times a day.
after: plug one end of a wire to an USB port then place your phone on top of the other end. No more plugging and unplugging ever.

I'm ordering 3.

You are oversimplifying the difference. It is obviously worth $800-1000 to not have to plug in and unplug your phone 1 or more times per day.

/sarcasm

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »
I'm going to iPhone 8 Plus, 64 GB model, black. I'm using a 5+ year old Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It's upgrade time. The purchase will not make a dent in FIRE plans.

I'm done with Android and the lack of support after 2-3 years on pure Google Devices. Apple gives you 5 years of iOS Support (http://iossupportmatrix.com/). I'm tired of having to turn to 3rd party builds like LineageOS to provide security updates that Google refused to provide after 2 years.

The only downside is battery replacement, but being a handy mustachian with tools and the iFixit guide I can replace it.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »

before: plug one end of a wire to an USB port then plug the other end to your phone. Then unplug your phone. Repeat multiple times a day.
after: plug one end of a wire to an USB port then place your phone on top of the other end. No more plugging and unplugging ever.

I'm ordering 3.

You are oversimplifying the difference. It is obviously worth $800-1000 to not have to plug in and unplug your phone 1 or more times per day.

/sarcasm

My bad, I didn't notice that the phone is wireless, not the obligatory charger. It's truly a great value if you don't think about it.

On a serious note I think wireless charging is really a cool concept, but it's not a great improvement if we're not able to charge something from a distance. With today's tech and for this price... meh.