Author Topic: Your Money and Your Life - BBC Radio  (Read 3093 times)

mike_fernlea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Your Money and Your Life - BBC Radio
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:52:44 AM »
The BBC has been running this radio series about how money affects people in different age groups. This particular programme deals with the Over-60s, and features interviews with a number of different people approaching their 60s from different points of view. At 04:20 we meet Barbara who assumed she would get married and be entitled to her husband's pension later in life. When she didn't meet anyone and get married and she realised she was going to have to look after herself, she was told she would need to put away £100- a week but says she couldn't do this as she needed to eat. Then, adds on, "and have holidays. I want to go on holidays". She then goes on to list all the countries around the world she went to on holidays over the year
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pd34k
She now has a very small work pension and the state pension to rely on.

At 23:30, the programme sums up the current situation by musing that perhaps the idea of a period of leisure at the end of our working lives is something that is no longer affordable and it's an idea whose time is past

RocketSurgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Your Money and Your Life - BBC Radio
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:49:59 AM »
At 23:30, the programme sums up the current situation by musing that perhaps the idea of a period of leisure at the end of our working lives is something that is no longer affordable and it's an idea whose time is past

Funny how you only hear this from white collar people and not construction workers or miners, etc.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:17:51 AM »
One can have it now OR later but not usually both.  I've travelled during my working years because when I get old, I'll be old and not in as good condition.  :)

Never wait to live but realize:  you can have it NOW or you can have it LATER but you can't usually have both :)

My retirement plan it to buy a motor home (in just 19 months).  I've enjoyed my life and not waited.  I will have less money in retirement (have always known that) so I've always saved for my retirement.  If I find my taste in retirement get larger than my money, I can always get a part time job but as I'm usually thrifty, I don't think that will be required.

Most people just don't seem to plan on getting old and not being able to work.

FI-42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »
I really loved the BBC series of the same name starring Alvin Hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI7wo10XOGY

mike_fernlea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 06:36:51 AM »
FI-42, I always loved that programme as well. Thanks for taking me back

I recently listened to another programme on the Radio iPlayer where Alvin talked about growing up in rural America
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pgw51