Author Topic: Your clown car only costs you half what you think it does!*  (Read 12040 times)

AH013

• Bristles
Your clown car only costs you half what you think it does!*
« on: April 13, 2016, 11:18:21 AM »
First step to avoiding being a consumer sucka is to see the techniques designed to part you with your money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMItD8C4GYs&nohtml5=False
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZFh1Sr6Ts&nohtml5=False
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQYBy3ZPbYc&nohtml5=False

Summary:  This guy is a master salesman with a silver tongue.  He coaches car salesmen on how to close deals in the face of multiple objections, without negotiating (i.e. without adjusting the price).  I'd highly recommend watching the whole series this guy posted.  In the first clip he explains how the customer's $500/month car payment is actually only costing them $250 because at the end of the loan they're getting a title so you're actually saving money, duh!

Things I particularly like about this clip:
  • Did you know a car payment is a great way to pay yourself first?  I know I sure didn't.  I thought putting money in appreciating assets like financial instruments or real estate was a better way to do that.
  • He completely writes off the "savings element" from the car they are assumed to be trading in (see the 3rd clip and it's completely blatant, the customer asks if the same math doesn't apply to the value of the car he's trading in?  hahaha)
  • Shows him "how the cash flows work" explaining $250 of each payment comes back to him every month...which with higher depreciation & interest in the beginning of a loan only works if the customer holds the car until the end of 5 years (which he admits in the 2nd video must people don't ever see a F&C title, so..."

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Your clown car only costs you half what you think it does!*
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 11:26:43 AM »
Sure wish I would have put my boots on prior to watching that!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 01:02:51 PM »
Evil.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but when a salesperson talks with a silver tongue like homeboy here, I immediately tune them out.

It comes across as trying too hard which makes me wonder if I'm getting a bad deal, which makes me walk away.

Based on the fact that millions of new cars are sold each year on credit, I don't think many people think the same way.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but when a salesperson talks with a silver tongue like homeboy here, I immediately tune them out.

It comes across as trying too hard which makes me wonder if I'm getting a bad deal, which makes me walk away.

Based on the fact that millions of new cars are sold each year on credit, I don't think many people think the same way.

People on this forum are not your average consumer. They are using tactics that work with people who have poor or average financial educations. This tactic wouldn't work on me because I approach a purchase differently. But a lot of people end up paying more than MSRP plus options plus service packages plus getting nothing for their tradein plus 26% interest and thinking they made a good decision.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »

I have heard a few people I know speak well of a salesperson who "put then in a car, with a monthly payment they can afford."  Of course these people don't think like you do.  Nor do they really want to. Nor are they ever likely to change their mind, any more than you are.

More people regard the selling systems at a car store as an obstacle but one they have to put up with to get what they want, whether that be the lowest price or the most favorable financing or whatever their own special goal is.  It is a problem for the industry and one they have tried to solve, over and over-- usually in the same way: some variation of no-haggle pricing  which is intended to lock in profits while soothing the irritable customer.

Some few are like you -- they jump up and run away when a salesperson approaches them.  The good thing about that from the viewpoint of the selling system is that you saved them valuable time because you were never going to buy a car there, that day, no matter what method they were using and pretty much regardless of what they had to sell.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 01:58:07 PM »
When I was a very young lad, I worked in a call center doing telesales. I hated it because I did not like selling people stuff they did not need/want, but I saw how a good salesman can overcome even staunch objections. Studies show that your willpower wears down over time, which is why the longer the salesman gets to talk to you, the better the deal he will get for his company.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 01:58:37 PM »
Evil.

Yes. It's evil to deliberately twist people's thinking like this.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »
More people regard the selling systems at a car store as an obstacle but one they have to put up with to get what they want, whether that be the lowest price or the most favorable financing or whatever their own special goal is.  It is a problem for the industry and one they have tried to solve, over and over-- usually in the same way: some variation of no-haggle pricing  which is intended to lock in profits while soothing the irritable customer.

The industry is largely prevented from solving it by state laws. The state franchising laws passed (and defended) by the strong local car dealer lobbies. Tesla is using a direct sale model (build it online, transparent it costs what it costs, same price for everyone) and the car dealer lobbies are getting them banned from doing direct sales in quite a few states.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 02:30:26 PM »

The industry is largely prevented from solving it by state laws. The state franchising laws passed (and defended) by the strong local car dealer lobbies. Tesla is using a direct sale model (build it online, transparent it costs what it costs, same price for everyone) and the car dealer lobbies are getting them banned from doing direct sales in quite a few states.

Call it what it is: corruption and graft.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 02:36:13 PM »

Call it what it is: corruption and graft.
It is corruption and graft. And crony capitalism.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 02:42:42 PM »

The present is just a thin veneer; it has all happened before.

Saturn -remember them?- was an experimental test bed for what GM wanted the future to be.  One of the innovations was no-haggle pricing, along with a lot of other stuff. There are others that have made the same innovation, at least as long as there have been cars to sell.  Wagons too, I suppose.

GM/Saturn did not get shut down by the dealer network, and Saturn did not fail in the precise way that Tesla may or may not.

But this year is not uniquely hallmarked in the annals of man, nor is there very much new, and nothing absolutely new under the sun

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 02:46:59 PM »
I just went through the process in the past few days. I found it fun and entertaining.

I figure out exactly what car I wanted and found that only one dealer anywhere near had one. Searched online to find out the least I could probably get it for.

I went in and asked the guy what was the best deal they could give me on the car, for cash, out the door. He went to talk to the manager, then put a bunch of numbers on his pad and told me the bottom price. I was very sad. Told him that was three thousand more than I could pay for the car.

He explained that they had already offered me the best price they could, I didn't expect them to lose money on the deal, did I? And besides, much of the price is tax and licence and of course the government won't let them charge less.  Sorry, I can't pay more than that, guess I'll hafta forget it.

I was halfway out when he caught me, told me to wait a minute, he'd get the manager to talk to me. The manager was there before I could get away. He explained to me that if that was all I could afford, and I had the cash. he had a plan. I would pay 10,000 down and invest the rest. Then I could make the monthly payments with the income from the investment. And I'd probably make even more income than needed to make the payments. I didn't bother to ask what sort of investments he had in mind. Just shook my head "no". Then he told me maybe I would be happy with a different car. I told him no, that's the one I want, and I went home.

They never made any counter offer, so I thought maybe I was out of luck. But later that evening the phone rang. The salesman just wanted to know how I was, and if maybe I had reconsidered. Nope.

Next day he called again. How was I doing? Fine, said I was thinking it was OK I didn't get the car, since I didn't really love it. I'd probably get another kind of car. He still didn't counter offer, so I still thought I was out of luck.

Next day he called one more time. Why don't I come in and talk about the numbers. I told him I don't want to waste my time unless they are willing to meet my price. He said they were. So I went in and got the car for exactly what I offered the first time.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 02:54:43 PM »
At some point in the second video, he says that car salesmen should be making 150k. Is he just selling to his audience or is that a realistic number for a good performer in that profession? Maybe I'm in the wrong business...

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »
Wow, calling you 3 days in a row?  I don't know.  I'm glad you got the deal you wanted, but that just kinda comes across as creepy and stalkerish to me.  Is this normal behavior for car salesmen?

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 03:01:43 PM »
At some point in the second video, he says that car salesmen should be making 150k. Is he just selling to his audience or is that a realistic number for a good performer in that profession? Maybe I'm in the wrong business...

Yeah, sure go for it.

When you have sold a car to everyone in your family you can guilt into it, and then one a month to strangers, busting your butt the whole time, you can go back to what you are doing now, but with some new friends (and enemies) you have made along the way.

Buy the ticket, take the ride. 

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 03:05:02 PM »
Wow, calling you 3 days in a row?  I don't know.  I'm glad you got the deal you wanted, but that just kinda comes across as creepy and stalkerish to me.  Is this normal behavior for car salesmen?
If they want the deal they'll keep calling as long as they think there's a chance you'll come around. It worked out exactly the way I wanted.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 03:05:16 PM »

People on this forum are not your average consumer. They are using tactics that work with people who have poor or average financial educations. This tactic wouldn't work on me because I approach a purchase differently. But a lot of people end up paying more than MSRP plus options plus service packages plus getting nothing for their tradein plus 26% interest and thinking they made a good decision.

Touche, forummm. Guess I spend too much time lurking around here; it's easy to forget there's a whole world of folks making emotional decisions routinely.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 03:08:06 PM »

Only by ones that have already sold all the cars they are ever going to, to family members.

One thing worth noting is that in this scenario it is almost certain that the person at the car dealership who decided to accept the offer  is not anyone who talked to the poster.

The salesman does not, cannot, concede anything.  Even his/her manager probably has no discretion beyond floormats and paint sealer.  That's why it takes days; that and the tendency of buyers to blink .first

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 03:10:33 PM »
Nice job, oldladystache.

Financing a depreciating asset is stupid to begin with. Problem for your average consumer suckers not mustachians, whom I presume all pay with cash only.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »
Nice job, oldladystache.

Financing a depreciating asset is stupid to begin with. Problem for your average consumer suckers not mustachians, whom I presume all pay with cash only.

Just like Mexican drug lords...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmQE4qdb9fg

A car salesman breaks it down for you.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 03:29:11 PM »
I went in and asked the guy what was the best deal they could give me on the car, for cash, out the door.

This was a mistake.  Car dealerships are based on the plan to finance everyone, and they get extra money for doing so (kickback from the financing co for signing someone up, etc).  You should never tell a car dealer/salesman you plan to pay in cash until you sit down at the finance guy's table and take out your checkbook, because you're automatically making yourself several hundred dollars less profitable.  Let them figure out how to save the deal after you've agreed on a price. 

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »
What are the dealer incentives? financing refund? cost of carrying? investment/interest return (or savings from repayment of dealer LOC) from the purchase price? reduction in insurance payable as a result of carrying less inventory? I think we can add all those to the price of the car to get the true dealer profit - hey two can play this game :)

I need to use that when I buy my next car (not for a long long time....)

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 05:03:16 PM »
What are the dealer incentives? financing refund? cost of carrying? investment/interest return (or savings from repayment of dealer LOC) from the purchase price? reduction in insurance payable as a result of carrying less inventory? I think we can add all those to the price of the car to get the true dealer profit - hey two can play this game :)

I need to use that when I buy my next car (not for a long long time....)

I've got to say, you can babble with the best of them.  How well that will serve you when you run up against a particular selling system remains to be seen.

Not for a long time, you say.  Fortunate for you, I say.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 06:37:04 PM »
If they want the deal they'll keep calling as long as they think there's a chance you'll come around. It worked out exactly the way I wanted.

Somebody gave my email address to a car dealer in Tucson or something, and I've been getting emails for Kody everyday for a month ETA: it's actually been almost three months now. Spoiler alert: I'm not Kody.

I thought they were randomly generated emails until I read a few, but nope. They just keep emailing (even after I replied once stating I was not Kody and did not live in the state).

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 07:26:47 PM »

Somebody gave my email address to a car dealer in Tucson or something, and I've been getting emails for Kody everyday for a month ETA: it's actually been almost three months now. Spoiler alert: I'm not Kody.

I thought they were randomly generated emails until I read a few, but nope. They just keep emailing (even after I replied once stating I was not Kody and did not live in the state).

If you think replying to an e-mail blast is the best way to end it....  well, let's just say you might need some babbling lessons before it's all over.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 07:36:20 PM »

If you think replying to an e-mail blast is the best way to end it....  well, let's just say you might need some babbling lessons before it's all over.

One of the first lessons I was taught in dealing with spam, phishing scams, viruses, etc.  Answering back only confirms you actually exist.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 07:46:32 PM »
 A-HA!! So- cars ARE an investment! (the kind of investment that's virtually guaranteed to shrink in value, but still...)

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 10:11:11 AM »
A-HA!! So- cars ARE an investment! (the kind of investment that's virtually guaranteed to shrink in value, but still...)
Someone should contact FTC to report this advertising scheme. Not fraud but probably well within intentional misrepresentation.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »
I liked the part where the guy role-playing the customer says that the reason he was trading in his car was that he had just made the last payment on it. Anyone who says that should be first in line for an MMM facepunch.

Xlar

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 11:49:45 AM »

Only by ones that have already sold all the cars they are ever going to, to family members.

One thing worth noting is that in this scenario it is almost certain that the person at the car dealership who decided to accept the offer  is not anyone who talked to the poster.

The salesman does not, cannot, concede anything.  Even his/her manager probably has no discretion beyond floormats and paint sealer.  That's why it takes days; that and the tendency of buyers to blink .first

This is exactly what I've found. I've always walked a way from a dealer and they've always been willing to drop the price a few days later. Now I've never been unreasonable with my expectations, I've based what I'm willing to pay on KBB and other cars for sale in the area.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »

This is exactly what I've found. I've always walked a way from a dealer and they've always been willing to drop the price a few days later. Now I've never been unreasonable with my expectations, I've based what I'm willing to pay on KBB and other cars for sale in the area.

The moment you can't walk away is the moment that you are fucked. In negotiations it's often the person that speaks first that loses. I've had many customers that want a certain price stare at me in silence and I will just stare back at them knowing that they want the product otherwise they wouldn't care to negotiate and will wait until they agree.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »
If you're going to buy a new car, don't even go in until the negotiation is totally over. And let the dealers negotiate with themselves. When buying my cars, I just emailed a bunch of local ones with exactly what I wanted, asked them what their best out-the-door price was if financing, and that I would be buying promptly from the best offer, and not to bother calling me--just email the price. I knew what rebates and incentives were available and let them tell me which dealer was most in need of a sale (by their price response).

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »
If you're going to buy a new car, don't even go in until the negotiation is totally over. And let the dealers negotiate with themselves. When buying my cars, I just emailed a bunch of local ones with exactly what I wanted, asked them what their best out-the-door price was if financing, and that I would be buying promptly from the best offer, and not to bother calling me--just email the price. I knew what rebates and incentives were available and let them tell me which dealer was most in need of a sale (by their price response).

How specific were you in the cars you have purchased (make, features, ect)? I'm hoping that negotiating over a car will be a moot point by the time my Camry no longer runs as by then I want to buy a Model 3.

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »
I liked the part where the guy role-playing the customer says that the reason he was trading in his car was that he had just made the last payment on it. Anyone who says that should be first in line for an MMM facepunch.

But I feel so naked without my car payment.  How will I pay myself first, and get that big share of expensive stock in 60 months? :(

Watching some of his other clips, you should see him trivialize the increased price down and amortize it over every time you drive. 
Customer: I can't do $500 a month, I want $450.
Asshat:  The fact that you're asking for a lower payment is evidence of you being a perfectly normal human being.  Heck, if you didn't ask for a lower payment I would of thought you were crazy.  But do realize you drive your clown car 4 times a day?  We're arguing over a mere $0.41 every time you get in your beautiful shiny new Outback, that doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me, now initial here.
Customer:  Well, when you put it that way, I guess that $3,000 over 5 years isn't that much and you should just have it.  $500 is fine!  Thanks for making me understand.

HA!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2016, 01:21:49 PM »

How specific were you in the cars you have purchased (make, features, ect)? I'm hoping that negotiating over a car will be a moot point by the time my Camry no longer runs as by then I want to buy a Model 3.
Very specific. Specific enough that they could give me a quote for exactly what I wanted from inventory they had. In my case I asked for a new 2015 Nissan Leaf S with charging package and floor mats, with NMAC financing. Everything else I didn't care about (I had a slight color preference but I also knew they had that color in stock).

Tesla does it differently. Hopefully you'll be able to get one at a convenient time. I think they won't get 350k (the number already reserved) of them on the road before 2019.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 02:10:24 PM »

Very specific. Specific enough that they could give me a quote for exactly what I wanted from inventory they had. In my case I asked for a new 2015 Nissan Leaf S with charging package and floor mats, with NMAC financing. Everything else I didn't care about (I had a slight color preference but I also knew they had that color in stock).

Tesla does it differently. Hopefully you'll be able to get one at a convenient time. I think they won't get 350k (the number already reserved) of them on the road before 2019.

Yeah it will take a while. Depending on the features they announce and other things I might be willing to put down a deposit in a year or two. My Camry is 11 years old and has 150k miles so it likely will last many more years (barring crashes or other misfortune). Hopefully by then Model 3 will be more available and easier to get.

I think you're right in that they won't clear the backlog until 2019, but I just love that Tesla is demonstrated that there is a lot of demand for electric cars.