Author Topic: New "Shop While You Watch" streaming movies...  (Read 2502 times)

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
New "Shop While You Watch" streaming movies...
« on: May 01, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »
Good news, folks - now you can do some shopping for superfluous items while watching TV, without even taking your eyes off the tube!

https://www.streamingobserver.com/walmart-vudu-shoppable-streaming/

Walmart and Vudu will soon unveil shoppable streaming video which allows audiences the ability to shop for the products seen in programs directly from the streaming service itself without interrupting video playback. Is this the future of streaming?

(barf)

BobbyTables

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: New "Shop While You Watch" streaming movies...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 07:13:36 AM »
As stated in the article, this is not even that big of a leap from what we currently have as there is already plenty of product placement on a lot of shows. I feel though that this would make it too explicit and would actually work against them. The reason why I think product placement works is because it's not too obvious advertisement.

But then again, I am for sure not the target audience of this service, so I might be completely wrong here.

jaylbail

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 07:56:43 AM »
"Do you know that feeling when you’re streaming a television show or movie and you see a character using a product in it that you just absolutely have to own yourself?"

...No, I can't say that I have.

I'm with Bobby on this one, but I also agree that I have no freaking idea what most people want any more.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:58:54 AM by jaylbail »

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 07:59:16 AM »
I mean, Breaking Bad would have been a compelely different experience.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 08:04:26 AM »
I have no problem with it.

As PP said, I don't think it will be very well received and I doubt it will be successful, but it's no different than when I was watching Avengers and whispered to DH "I wonder which Audi model we'll see next".

Product placement is everywhere, why not be honest about it?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41:56 PM »
This makes me think of Hawaii-Five-O. Everyone drives a General Motors product. I lasted two episodes before they lost my interest.

In the vintage HFO series, everything was a Ford product. At least the series is 35 years old and the cars are interesting b/c they are old.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 10:50:00 AM »
Doesn't surprise me.  I feel like people are already doing it and now Walmart is trying to get into the competition.

Hey Siri...  Alexia...  Amazon...  buy/refill/purchase...  xyz...

Kind of sad really.  Because companies are trying their best to continue fueling consumerism.

sideHustler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
On the surface, I feel like this would annoy me.

However, I still remember when The Matrix came out and everyone and their mother wanted a pair of those sunglasses that Morpheus wore without the ear pieces.

Stuff like that will probably take the bait.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 01:08:20 AM »
"Do you know that feeling when you’re streaming a television show or movie and you see a character using a product in it that you just absolutely have to own yourself?"

...No, I can't say that I have.

I'm with Bobby on this one, but I also agree that I have no freaking idea what most people want any more.
Well, to be fair, when I see Linus on Linus Tech Tips tinkering with a Intel I9 24-core Dual-CPU setup... But, that's just the tech demon inside of me being hungry.