Author Topic: Online shopping while drunk  (Read 4415 times)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
Online shopping while drunk
« on: April 05, 2019, 04:03:41 PM »
Apparently it's so common it's important to the economy
http://on.forbes.com/6183Eb1PD

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Online shopping while drunk
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 06:01:57 PM »
So funny!  Montana doesn't shop drunk on line!  Montana, which should be the capital of on-line shopping because of the smaller cities and large rural population mean less is available locally.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 07:05:17 PM »
I'm not surprised. I've been involved in e-commerce for awhile and the 1-3am rush is real.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 06:37:36 AM »
So funny!  Montana doesn't shop drunk on line!  Montana, which should be the capital of on-line shopping because of the smaller cities and large rural population mean less is available locally.
This is my excuse for online shopping. Going to any mall requires a 100 mile round trip with no guarantee I'll find what I'm seeking. Don't believe I've ever done it while drinking though

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 07:33:02 AM »
I have a co worker who will do this occasionally. She only remembers when the Amazon box shows up at work, and she's like..."ooo did drunk me by sober me a present?!" Thankfully it's usually really small, stupid things, and never more than 10-15 dollars. I think it's hilarious

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 06:54:36 AM »
It's also common after anesthesia. When you come out of a same day procedure they often warn you not use your credit cards!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »
It's also common after anesthesia. When you come out of a same day procedure they often warn you not use your credit cards!6
Interesting! I never heard of that but it makes sense

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 10:37:19 AM »

Less booze is available locally for in-home use. There's not a lot of alcohol sale outside bars or licensed restaurants, and the number of licenses in Montana is limited. It's not possible to just pick up hard liquor at a grocery store: a person has to go to a state-run liquor store. There aren't many of those especially if you're out in the sticks. What stores there are, are government stores but they are frequently closed on Sundays and holidays. Therefore, to do any significant or regular home consumption a person tends to have to plan in advance.

There are reasons why Montana's laws are the way they are; it's a state-level initiative to curb addiction and drunk driving problems. The state, as a whole, has much higher DUI and binge drinking rates than average. Whether the approach will work long-term remains to be seen.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »

Less booze is available locally for in-home use. There's not a lot of alcohol sale outside bars or licensed restaurants, and the number of licenses in Montana is limited. It's not possible to just pick up hard liquor at a grocery store: a person has to go to a state-run liquor store. There aren't many of those especially if you're out in the sticks. What stores there are, are government stores but they are frequently closed on Sundays and holidays. Therefore, to do any significant or regular home consumption a person tends to have to plan in advance.

There are reasons why Montana's laws are the way they are; it's a state-level initiative to curb addiction and drunk driving problems. The state, as a whole, has much higher DUI and binge drinking rates than average. Whether the approach will work long-term remains to be seen.

Was also going to add because I felt like if someone was under the influence and needed to do some shopping in MT, they would just drive. Seems like everyone there knows someone who has been involved in a DUI-related crash/death.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »

There are recent changes that have been made to curb the problem, but state liquor stores and limited liquor licenses are not related to them. The state licensing runs back almost to the end of prohibition. Also you can purchase liquor from bars; in most small towns the bar(s) double as liquor stores. The state liquor licenses (the licenses given to bars to sell hard liquor) are assigned to a county (more recently changed to include specific urban areas), and generally only reclaimed when they are abandoned (ie bar closes, and no one buys the license).
   As with the broad trend in the country, the rural population is declining as more people move into the cities. So while some very rural counties might be limited in access if there are no bars around, many actually have a very high bar/license per capita.

All this to say, access to alcohol is probably not a limiting factor. As to why we don't shop drunk, I don't really have any insight.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 12:46:51 PM »

There are recent changes that have been made to curb the problem, but state liquor stores and limited liquor licenses are not related to them. The state licensing runs back almost to the end of prohibition. Also you can purchase liquor from bars; in most small towns the bar(s) double as liquor stores. The state liquor licenses (the licenses given to bars to sell hard liquor) are assigned to a county (more recently changed to include specific urban areas), and generally only reclaimed when they are abandoned (ie bar closes, and no one buys the license).
   As with the broad trend in the country, the rural population is declining as more people move into the cities. So while some very rural counties might be limited in access if there are no bars around, many actually have a very high bar/license per capita.

All this to say, access to alcohol is probably not a limiting factor. As to why we don't shop drunk, I don't really have any insight.

Love this.   I grew up with state run / controlled liquor, too, (heck, no groceries on Sundays was a real thing where I was from) and worked a bit in Norway where it was highly controlled at the retail level, similar to the 1970's when I grew up.   None if it really stopped people from drinking.  The more controls, the more drinking, it seemed.

I like to think that people in Montana are responsible about their shopping and that Montana was likely an early adoption state for the technology, given the rural %'s....      I mean, it's not like people drunk shopped the sears' catalogue, back in the day.  (Oh the funny images that puts into my head, for some reason...  Getting my mom tipsy so she would buy me the cool outfit for school. LOL.. ah, assuming Sears had cool outfits.. did I mention I did not grow up in a large urban city?.....)

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »

Higher binge drinking rates would seem to argue in favor of more drunk shopping, though.

Perhaps a better reason for the lower incidence of drunk shopping is crappy network coverage in the rural areas? Online shopping is presumably a less pleasant experience if you're stuck on the equivalent of dial-up service, and impossible if you have no service at all.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »
A lot of rural areas have better internet than some older citie because all they have to do is string a fiber on existing utility poles instead of digging up hundreds of miles of streets.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »

Around here access to alcohol was limited by the church vote. The church was against drinking so they preached against voting for liquor licenses. It happened anyway but took a long time. Some of these same people complain about gov't sticking their noses into people's lives. Its hilarious to me. They want to regulate everyone else obviously.

I hope eventually marijuana is decriminalized. I have no personal interest in that stuff but I would like to see the gov't quit arresting people for using it. Once a low income person gets vacuumed up by the judicial system their lives are so many times more complicated and difficult long term. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:32:39 PM by Just Joe »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 10:39:05 PM »
A lot of rural areas have better internet than some older citie because all they have to do is string a fiber on existing utility poles instead of digging up hundreds of miles of streets.

Maybe, but I don't know any of those rural areas (brought to your over a "best effort" max 650Kbps line).

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 01:07:14 PM »
There is something to say about how great Kentucky Bourbon is!