Author Topic: Yes, It Is Hereditary.  (Read 4323 times)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Yes, It Is Hereditary.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:49:42 AM »
Link's not working for me, and/or they removed the video?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 09:00:39 AM »
Well, shit.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 09:36:59 AM »
This story's been all over lately:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kids-buy-back-dads-1993-ford-mustang-that-he-sold-when-his-wife-was-diagnosed-with-cancer/

Edited to add that another article mentions the most recent seller also got rid of it to pay for cancer-related medical bills:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifestyle/article/San-Antonio-father-s-kids-find-buy-back-the-car-13223453.php

I've not seen anything but badassity in these stories, but maybe the MSN link had details that are missing elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 10:16:38 AM by hops »

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:08:31 AM »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 11:41:13 AM »
I thought this was a lovely story

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 10:29:02 AM »
Ideally he should have had more savings so he didn't have to sell it in the first place, but I agree this was just his kids doing something really nice.  They hardly went broke, car is worth about 10k, so 5k each

Cars like this are like paintings or musical instruments.  They're expensive, and logically speaking worthless, but arguably art, and some people enjoy owning them (I have a 1990 mustang)

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 10:43:47 AM »
Ideally he should have had more savings so he didn't have to sell it in the first place, but I agree this was just his kids doing something really nice.  They hardly went broke, car is worth about 10k, so 5k each

Cars like this are like paintings or musical instruments.  They're expensive, and logically speaking worthless, but arguably art, and some people enjoy owning them (I have a 1990 mustang)

A '93 foxbody is only worth more than a couple grand (similar to other cars of its age) if it's in pristine, original condition and has extremely low miles (<20k). Based on the photo gallery, that one looks to be used as a daily driver and is definitely not in pristine condition, so we're talking $1-3k based on exact condition. The real challenge was just in finding that specific car...

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 11:35:24 AM »
Eh, they're starting to climb in value, they've passed the low point on the depreciation curve

Mine over 100k miles, is mostly restored, and valued by the insurance company at $8-9k, and I've found comps

I didn't look too close at the one in the video, I assumed it was in great condition, if it's in daily driver condition, then yea, it's a $3k car

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »
Eh, they're starting to climb in value, they've passed the low point on the depreciation curve

Mine over 100k miles, is mostly restored, and valued by the insurance company at $8-9k, and I've found comps

I didn't look too close at the one in the video, I assumed it was in great condition, if it's in daily driver condition, then yea, it's a $3k car

Chipped, peeling, faded paint; minor body damage; bubbled tint; cloudy, yellowed light lenses; son talks about all the wrenching they'll have to do ... yeah it's in average shape at best for a 25 year old vehicle.

But more back to the point: Looks like potentially a great project car with high sentimental value for the dad and the kids to share quality time restoring. =)

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 07:54:02 AM »
On a scale where 1 is Ultimate Mustachian Vehicle and 10 is Extreme Clown Car, a 25-year-old beater Mustang seems like it would be between 3 to 5? Anyone feel different?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »
The written article included the part where the kids couldn't agree on a price the first time they attempted to buy the car. Sounds like they were budget-conscious, at least.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »
On a scale where 1 is Ultimate Mustachian Vehicle and 10 is Extreme Clown Car, a 25-year-old beater Mustang seems like it would be between 3 to 5? Anyone feel different?

That's about right.

Earlier in our life DW and I have sold cars and motorcycles to help fund the "next step" in our life together. One went for dental work b/c we did not have good dental insurance. We avoided debt. Another sold went to have spare cash when we renovated and sold our starter house. And we avoided debt.

It was when we were younger and just didn't have alot of spare cash. These days not necessary b/c we have savings.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!