Author Topic: Yay you graduated! Now buy an "Uploma"!  (Read 6368 times)

FIRE Realtor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Vegan Mom
Yay you graduated! Now buy an "Uploma"!
« on: May 25, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »
Read about this today in the Minneapolis Star Tribune - sadly enough, in the "business & money" section:

"Having already purchased two class rings, Aaron Tyler decided to commemorate his graduation in a different way."

"An Uploma is a five pound, desktop sculpture adorned with your name, school, year of graduation, degree, concentration and accomplishments.  They cost between $189 and $229." 

"David Duckworth, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering said: 'Everyone should get one for working their butt off for four or five years.' "

Haha I was disappointed that even a fellow engineer would not be more practical! 

SpeedReader

• Stubble
Re: Yay you graduated! Now buy an "Uploma"!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »
Oh man... (facepalm)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 09:37:17 PM »
I never know what to do with my BS diploma.  It's always getting shuffled around awkwardly between my desk and the book shelf.

I don't even know where my MS diploma is.  They sent me one by mistake before I finished my thesis, so it took the shine off the real one.  I think I folded it up and stuck it in a book.

The transcripts were much more useful.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:56:02 AM »
If you truely are "working your butt off" why would it take 5 years? I guess some majors take more time than others, but still if you are working harder than most shouldn't you at least finish on time?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 10:00:27 AM »
Most co-op programs around here stretch a 4 year degree into a 5 year one because of the time that you are working in your field.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »
You...could use it for self-defense?

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 12:55:26 PM »
"The Definition of Recognition"

What crap. What the heck are you going to do with that thing? Throw it at the bill collector who finally tracks you down because you're no longer responding to his collection calls?

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 02:23:24 PM »
I'm not sure I could tell you where either of my diplomas are. Every time I move, I come across the tube with my MS diploma in it and wonder what the heck to do with it. An 'Uploma'? Anyone getting an engineering degree that gets one of those should probably be held back another year or two...

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 07:47:06 PM »
My BA is floating around in a storage box somewhere. When I see it I think maybe I should frame it but it seems silly because I don't like framed diplomas. My college sent me a wallet sized diploma with the larger one. In case I need to prove I got a college degree at a traffic stop or a bar?

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 09:57:31 PM »
I misread the title as "Now buy an umpa lumpa".