Author Topic: wtf?  (Read 9338 times)

n00z

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
wtf?
« on: July 18, 2017, 10:11:37 PM »
I heard this shit today and I couldn't help myself, I had to share.

Been working with a freelancer at our local advertising office.  She has been doing ok, but not great. Apparently she has been putting the screws to some of the other bosses in the business and wants more pay for her sub-par work ethic and delivery.  But, for some reason has never approached me.

She actually said, "my husband and I have bought things, we have to maintain a certain level of income now."

What?

Are you fucking kidding me right now?

I don't know how to react to this.  Im far too Mustachian. Its like my mustahcian circuits have blown.

Hence, we are letting this one go (thank god) but holy hell. WTF are people thinking?

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
Re: wtf?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »
That is the point.  That is exactly how most people think.  I have earned my way up to this 'status' now I must maintain or keep accumulating. 

Statistically, we (MMM) are the weird ones.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 12:20:24 PM »
I've known a number of people who's argument for a raise or overtime is, "I need this money to maintain my lifestyle." Every single one of them has been a subpar performer.

zoltani

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »
Just a tip: Please have a more descriptive thread title in the future so we know what might be in the thread before clicking.

As far as how to react, shrug and move on.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:27:47 PM »
There are many people who do mediocre, or sub-par work, but believe they are worth far more pay.

If they want a raise, they should justify why they are worth more to their employer. It shouldn't be about what they need, it should be about how they are meeting or exceeding the employer's needs.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 01:37:53 PM »
I had a colleague whose husband made her go back to full time because she was spending over $1000 per month on scrapbooking and other hobbies. She also has the fancy house, cars, haircuts, Starbucks, etc. to go with it. Husband has a good job and she could afford to not work at all if she would lay off the spending.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 02:49:47 PM »
There are also service people who give sub-par service and believe they are entitled to huge tips.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »

She actually said, "my husband and I have bought things, we have to maintain a certain level of income now."

"Well, I guess you better start hustling."

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 02:35:50 PM »
My circuits blow out when I hear that sort of thing too.  Generally along the lines of, "We need that/this to maintain our level of lifestyle."
 ...OK then, Mr. Rockafeller, whatever you say, sir. 

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
What kind of stuff have they bought?

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 05:24:38 PM »
The merciful thing to do would be to explain that the "level of income" part ought to precede the "accumulation of things" part. Probably not effective, but merciful.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 11:09:17 PM »
I don't think there's anything wrong with knowing what level of income you need. Preferably this would be on actual needs and not servicing some ridiculous loan. The weird bit is that this woman obviously thought her requirements would actually influence how much she was offered......

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 06:56:52 AM »
I had a colleague whose husband made her go back to full time because she was spending over $1000 per month on scrapbooking and other hobbies . She also has the fancy house, cars, haircuts, Starbucks, etc. to go with it. Husband has a good job and she could afford to not work at all if she would lay off the spending.

This is one of the most reasonable things I've heard in the Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy.  Good for him!

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 12:22:06 AM »
Just a tip: Please have a more descriptive thread title in the future so we know what might be in the thread before clicking.

I kinda liked the mystery.

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 11:43:44 PM »
Thread title worked, we clicked on it.
a few more ideas for thread titles:
-One weird trick for losing fat
-You won't believe what happened to this Mustachian!
-Nothing prepared this Mustachian for this amazing sight!

.....but yeah, more description would be nice in title....

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »
When my husband was in the military, senior officers got greater percentage raises than junior officers.
He was told "they have a higher standard of living, so they need a higher raise". 

Well, sure- but they already have higher salaries, so percentages already take care of that.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
When my husband was in the military, senior officers got greater percentage raises than junior officers.
He was told "they have a higher standard of living, so they need a higher raise". 

Well, sure- but they already have higher salaries, so percentages already take care of that.

How long ago was this? All the pay raises I've experienced were across the board, but due to the pay scale the higher the salary the bigger the raise.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »

How long ago was this? All the pay raises I've experienced were across the board, but due to the pay scale the higher the salary the bigger the raise.

This was around 2004.  Lt.Col and higher definitely got a larger percentage than the lower officers.
I remember it being a huge laugh at a party filled with 1Lt and 2Lts.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 10:51:39 AM »

This was around 2004.  Lt.Col and higher definitely got a larger percentage than the lower officers.

Targeted pay raises happen on occasion, but that particular year the higher percentages went to the senior NCOs to try to keep more of them in.  The O-5s and O-2s each received a 3.7% raise while the E-8s received 5.3%.  3.7% to an O-2 that year was worth about $100 while it was worth $200 to an O-5.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »

Targeted pay raises happen on occasion, but that particular year the higher percentages went to the senior NCOs to try to keep more of them in.  The O-5s and O-2s each received a 3.7% raise while the E-8s received 5.3%.  3.7% to an O-2 that year was worth about $100 while it was worth $200 to an O-5.

They wouldn't have been complaining about NCOs.  It may have not been exactly that year.  And it was likely just an off the cuff remark about "they have a higher standard of living, so they need a bigger percent raise" by someone in his office.

But good to know that doesn't always happen. 
Because percentages already make sure they get bigger raises.

(This is my issue with now having to tip 20% "because the cost of living is higher now". Yes, so is the cost of food. Percentages already take care of this!)

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 11:25:29 AM »
There are many people who do mediocre, or sub-par work, but believe they are worth far more pay.

If they want a raise, they should justify why they are worth more to their employer. It shouldn't be about what they need, it should be about how they are meeting or exceeding the employer's needs.

What about those of us that keep getting raises but can't figure out why because we already feel overpaid?

It seems like the longer my wife and I are in the workplace, the more we get paid and less is expected of us.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »
When my wife resigned from her previous job they asked how much money we needed to keep her. She explained that it was the time demand and the lopsided work/life balance that forced the decision. They again asked how much more money she wanted. It was at this point that she just shook her head and realized that she made the right decision to leave. Mustachians in general value their time more than their money. Now that she left they have been reaching out to get her back. Sadly the offer of more money has worked on the other employees that have stayed.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »

In 2002, O-4s >18 years were given a 6.5% targeted pay raise as a "retention incentive".  I have no idea why that decision was made, especially since high-year tenure for O-4s is 20 years.

This pay raise took effect five months before I retired.  In the Unintended Consequences department, since I'm a Final Pay woolly mammoth, the net result is that the federal govt boosted my pay by 6.5% for the rest of my retirement life.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 02:30:13 PM »

if I were the boss ;"How is that anyne's problem but your own?"