Author Topic: World gives man $70,000+ to make a bowl of potato salad.  (Read 13606 times)

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
World gives man $70,000+ to make a bowl of potato salad.
« on: July 09, 2014, 03:51:17 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

Yes, it sounds like an onion article. I wish it was an onion article.

Isn't Kickstarter for innovation? This utilization is kinda bullshit. I hope he throws a potato salad party for homeless kids or something.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
Re: World gives man $70,000+ to make a bowl of potato salad.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
I guess it's kind of like the homeless man on the street holding a sign that says "I just want to buy a beer" people think it's funny so they donate? I have no idea other than that.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »
I read his campaign and I think he genuinely intended this to be a joke but it sets a bad precedent for Kickstarter. He raised more for his silly potato salad than my friends did for their business.

I'm going to put up a Kickstarter to live stream me making devilled eggs. My devilled eggs are amazing.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:41:46 PM »
This is part of the reason I have very little sympathy for many in the "struggling" middle class. If you can spend $20 on such a senseless thing, then you have money to burn, period.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 04:50:03 PM »
Nearly all of the donations were made after this hit mainstream news.  When I first heard the story on the radio 2.5 days ago (monday morning), he was at about $23k.  That's still excessive, but I'm also sure I wasn't the first one to hear about this from the media, since I generally follow the low-information diet.

Just checked some links from the kickstarter page:  CNET covered this on July 3 when he was at $100.  So yes, this was all just media influence.  Back to my LID.

griffin

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 04:55:01 PM »
I guess you could look at it as an art piece if you were so inclined, although that doesn't really seem to be his intention here. Deeming certain ideas innapropriate for kickstarter seems like a slippery slope perhaps...

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 05:47:53 PM »
People are bored; they are paying for his humor.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:04:19 PM by C. K. »

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 06:04:51 PM »

this. it's not something I would spend money on, but I'd rather give my money to this guy for a laugh than a bunch of dummy designerbros for the latest in cell phone case technology.

I read his campaign and I think he genuinely intended this to be a joke but it sets a bad precedent for Kickstarter. He raised more for his silly potato salad than my friends did for their business.

why is that a bad thing?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:06:51 PM by Russ »

The_Captain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • From Nothing to Something
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 09:34:03 PM »
To be fair to the dude, he just wanted to raise $10 to make some potato salad. Obviously tongue in cheek since it's an easily achievable goal with his personal funds, but he's not the one who asked for $70k to make it. I imagine he's regretting some of that popularity if he intends to actually make good on his rewards, since they include things like mailing thousands of backers a taste. :P

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 12:49:01 AM »
I understand the impulse to start something like this or to laugh, but I honestly don't get donating money to the campaign. My best guess is that it makes people feel like they're part of the joke, though to me that seems like ruining it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 01:33:15 AM »
CNET covered this on July 3 when he was at $100.  So yes, this was all just media influence.

The wife told me about this earlier, she saw it on some site (Facebook?).  It become a viral joke when it hit $100 and people spread the link and laughed that it had made so much.  I get that part.  But what compels you to click donate and send $20 at that point?

And SO MANY people are.  $43,000+ and climbing now.  We're approaching a year's income (in the U.S., naturally).  Crazy.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:16:52 AM »
Oh come on.  This is hilarious. 

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 09:18:20 AM »
Couldn't agree more. I think it's fabulous.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 09:38:18 AM »

And I don't even like potato salad but I want one of those hats.

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »
I really just want to see him try to read off thousands of names while making a potato salad. I bet he's going to back out of that deal....

I thought it was really funny, but also didn't support it. Definitely read the FAQ, it's golden.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:18:28 AM by Daniel »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 09:41:43 AM »

Sure, it's funny.

We're not arguing that it's not at least mildly amusing.

The Antimustachian part of it is all the people who donated.

In other words:
This is part of the reason I have very little sympathy for many in the "struggling" middle class. If you can spend $20 on such a senseless thing, then you have money to burn, period.

People are having money issues, but collectively donate over 40k to a joke?  I'd bet many of the people who donated have hair on fire debt, and I'd bet that VAST majority who donated don't come close to maxing out their 401ks/other retirement accounts.  That's the Antimustachian part of this.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:32 AM »
Maybe some of the backers have previously been "burned" by previous Kickstarter campaigns, saw this and thought, "hey, this is one that has a good chance to deliver a working product on schedule!"

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 09:49:48 AM »

People are having money issues, but collectively donate over 40k to a joke?  I'd bet many of the people who donated have hair on fire debt, and I'd bet that VAST majority who donated don't come close to maxing out their 401ks/other retirement accounts.  That's the Antimustachian part of this.

So I'm not supposed to spend money on anything I want until I can fully fund my retirement accounts?

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 10:04:58 AM »
Sure, it's funny.

In other words:

I'm not sure I agree.  We have no idea what the financial situation is of the 5,000 backers.  If their financial house is solid, I don't care if they are spending $10 to support a laugh.  Even if they have debt, I'm not inclined to judge them. 

Sure, it would be *better* if they supported one of the actually-important projects on Kickstarter, but there are thousands and thousands of terrible projects - at least this one is funny.  And I'd rather them give 10 bucks to this guy than to Walmart. 

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 10:07:48 AM »
Yeah, I totally get that a potato salad kickstarter is funny, I'm not the potato salad police. And I think the guy making potato salad is going to have his hands full fulfilling those requests.

But just for shits and giggles, let's overanalyze this like we're in Sociology 101.

My best guess is that it makes people feel like they're part of the joke, though to me that seems like ruining it.
Nearly all of the donations were made after this hit mainstream news.  When I first heard the story on the radio 2.5 days ago (monday morning), he was at about $23k....this was all just media influence.

To me, this reads like this: we have a cultural situation in which people are so bored, so isolated, so lacking in a feeling of belonging, and so influenced by media hype and a desire to join into that hype that they will vote by spending their money on the emotional fulfillment of having someone else make potato salad.

Sure, it's funny. But it's also pretty nuts.

Also, when I posted it, this kickstarter had pledges over $70k. Now it's down to about $45k. I wonder if with the hype people decided the potato salad in-group was too big and therefore not as desirable and pulled their pledges?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »

So I'm not supposed to spend money on anything I want until I can fully fund my retirement accounts?

Come on, you're better than that straw man, you know that's not what I'm saying.

Of course you should spend money where it makes you happy and is aligned with your values and goals.  But I find it hard to believe that for those 5,000 people they seriously considered this purchase, the value it gave them, and decided their donation was well worth it.

Donating $1?  Maybe.  $50?  Hmm.

For the majority it was very likely an impulse thing so they could be "in" on the joke.  That's almost the definition of wasteful spending, to me.  I'm sure there are some people who really wanted the hat/shirt/whatever and think this is the best thing, and it's well worth it to them.

Great.

But I'm saying that for the vast majority, they'll be in a precarious financial situation, likely in debt, likely not maxing retirement accounts, and not necessarily making smart money decisions.  This is just one more example.

I'm not sure I agree.  We have no idea what the financial situation is of the 5,000 backers. 

Really?  Even if people who donate to Kickstarter campaigns are doing better than the average (though I'd bet the average Kickstarter donator is more likely to have student loan debt, based on the demographics, but I may be wrong), the bar is so low that it still doesn't matter. 

64% of Americans don't have the cash to deal with a $1,000 emergency.

You really think these 5,000 people are the exception?  No.  They're average.  And most of them probably aren't doing so hot financially.  Law of averages, and I don't think this sample is so far removed from the norm so as to not apply.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 10:45:30 AM »
To me, this reads like this: we have a cultural situation in which people are so bored, so isolated, so lacking in a feeling of belonging, and so influenced by media hype and a desire to join into that hype that they will vote by spending their money on the emotional fulfillment of having someone else make potato salad.

Sure, it's funny. But it's also pretty nuts.

I agree with your read of the situation. But I don't think that it's any different than it always has been (not that you said it was). The targets have just changed.

Today, someone who wants the emotional buzz of "being part of something" gives money to a potato salad Kickstarter. 25 years ago, they bought a Metallica or Nirvana cassette and a back-patch. 50 years ago they spent money on a mop-top haircut.

That suggests that in addition to the internal emotional buzz, there is likely also an outward signaling happening here: "I am a member of a group who thinks this is funny; that makes you all want to have the sex with me, no?" It would be interesting to see the percentage of people who donated, but kept that information entirely to themselves (without sharing on Facebook, Twitter, etc.) I bet it's a pretty small percentage.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »

Come on, you're better than that straw man, you know that's not what I'm saying.

Of course you should spend money where it makes you happy and is aligned with your values and goals.  But I find it hard to believe that for those 5,000 people they seriously considered this purchase, the value it gave them, and decided their donation was well worth it.

Donating $1?  Maybe.  $50?  Hmm.

For the majority it was very likely an impulse thing so they could be "in" on the joke.  That's almost the definition of wasteful spending, to me.  I'm sure there are some people who really wanted the hat/shirt/whatever and think this is the best thing, and it's well worth it to them.

Great.

But I'm saying that for the vast majority, they'll be in a precarious financial situation, likely in debt, likely not maxing retirement accounts, and not necessarily making smart money decisions.  This is just one more example.

Well you didn't mention anything about values (which I'll admit was surprising), so is it still a straw man if I actually thought that's what you were saying?

The average donation is $8.18 and the median is $3, both of which are significantly closer to $1 than $50. Since it's all a spectrum anyway, I guess $10 is just a bigger deal to other people than it is to me.

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »
All this proves is that the social impulse to be a part of something bigger has enormous effects.  This is why advertising works and why consumerism is so widely practiced.  As a mustachian, one of the major points is to develop the mental muscle to resist this pressure.  This story only proves how easy it is to be drawn in by it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 11:07:44 AM »
Well you didn't mention anything about values (which I'll admit was surprising), so is it still a straw man if I actually thought that's what you were saying?

No, if you actually thought that, it was a fair comment.  I just figured I'd earned the benefit of the doubt by now.  Maybe a few more posts will do it...  :P

The average donation is $8.18 and the median is $3, both of which are significantly closer to $1 than $50. Since it's all a spectrum anyway, I guess $10 is just a bigger deal to other people than it is to me.

10 bucks isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but someone donating to this probably is impulse grabbing gum at the checkout counter, buying random items from Amazon, etc. etc.

This one item isn't a big deal, but it's a reflection of the larger issue - people spending money on things that have very little value if it were properly reflected on.

It's a funny joke.  There are lots of those that can be had for free.  Paying for something you value is great.

I just doubt most people can genuinely say they find a lot of value in this beyond a short term chuckle.  It's like someone buying a giant SUV they don't need because they're supposed to.  It's mindless.  Most of the donations to this were "hah, that's amusing, this guy's already had $10,000 thrown at him for a potato salad ...[???]... I'm going to donate $10."

The gap in the middle is what I'm questioning.

"I enjoy performance art and want to encourage more." = Cool.
"___" (literally blank, no thought, just mindless) = Meh.

I'm saying I think it's more the latter than the former.

But it's okay Russ, we still love you even though you gave a guy money to make a potato salad.  :)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »

No, if you actually thought that, it was a fair comment.  I just figured I'd earned the benefit of the doubt by now.  Maybe a few more posts will do it...  :P

Well you usually write with excellent precision, so I go by what you say. There, now it's a compliment.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 11:13:57 AM »

alm0stk00l

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »
Russ says stuff
arebelspy says other stuff

MODERATOR FIGHT! Run for your lives! :)

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 05:01:20 PM »
Also, when I posted it, this kickstarter had pledges over $70k. Now it's down to about $45k. I wonder if with the hype people decided the potato salad in-group was too big and therefore not as desirable and pulled their pledges?
Actually, pledging and withdrawing makes sense to me and if that trend continues this will feel comprehensible. For the record, until the final three days Kickstarter has no barriers to withdrawing your pledge (and even after that there won't be many, given how low the goal is). I can understand someone with the right sense of humor donating to a joke with no intention of actually giving any money.

ch12

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 07:20:38 PM »

Sure, it's funny.

In other words:

I saw this in the news. I read the first article and thought it was ridiculous. I read a second article and saw the joke.

It's like the dad who filmed Charlie bit my finger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OBlgSz8sSM He didn't understand why it was funny until a bit later.

It is frivolous nonsense. Quite a few people have withdrawn donations at this point, which I think is a trend which will continue.

I have a donation theory which leads me to funnel nearly all of my donations to Kickstarter. (A bit long to explain, and that's the gist anyway.) I just donated to Reading Rainbow, which hopes to improve America's child literacy rate. Unequivocally good.

I also just donated to guy making the potato salad. Why? Because he made me laugh with his fully filled out Kickstarter page, and the absurdity of the situation makes me happy. I have no problems giving a little to someone on the street with a guitar and an open case, and I had no problems giving this guy $1. The fees will eat most of the $1 donations, especially since I used a card.

I dislike the analogy that this is like impulse buying gum in the checkout line. For me, it's more the impulse that leads you to buy someone a beer - just because they are clever and you'd like their company for the next 10 minutes. (I'm ignoring the mating part of buying someone a drink, ok?) I do put room in my budget for me to be silly and openhanded. Donations and gifts, which is the Mint category I'd put this in, made up 8% of my spending last year. And not that I'd wait for permission from you (though I do love your counsel), ARS, but I do max out my retirement accounts, even though I'm about to go through a very sharp reduction in income.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 09:51:44 PM »

OOOOH! Global Moderator Fight!  Epic!

[grabs popcorn]

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 08:38:41 AM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

Yes, it sounds like an onion article. I wish it was an onion article.

Isn't Kickstarter for innovation? This utilization is kinda bullshit. I hope he throws a potato salad party for homeless kids or something.

The potato salad party for homeless kids is actually a great idea.  I guess that he is soliciting charitable options for the money.  Kickstarter doesn't allow direct charitable donations.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 09:08:20 AM »
Isn't Kickstarter for innovation?

No.  It's for fundraising.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »

OOOOH! Global Moderator Fight!  Epic!

[grabs popcorn]

This should be good!  I'm just going to sit back and watch.. :D

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »
Isn't Kickstarter for innovation?

No.  It's for fundraising.

Not according to Kickstarter.

Can Kickstarter be used to fund anything?
Kickstarter is specifically for creative projects in the worlds of Art, Comics, Crafts, Dance, Design, Fashion, Film & Video, Food, Games, Journalism, Music, Photography, Publishing, Technology, and Theater. Things like making an album, a book, or a work of art. Check out our rules for details.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 12:24:38 PM »
The Kickstarters based on questionable science and get mega-funded worry me far more than a guy making potato salad.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2014, 01:20:30 PM »
I'd put a lot more faith in a guy making a bowl of potato salad than in this guy.... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2049159523/time-machine?ref=category

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 08:56:18 AM »

Kickstarter is specifically for creative projects in the worlds of Art, Comics, Crafts, Dance, Design, Fashion, Film & Video, Food, Games, Journalism, Music, Photography, Publishing, Technology, and Theater. Things like making an album, a book, or a work of art. Check out our rules for details.

Cooking is art. Who cares if it's potato salad. Everyone drooled over that Alton Brown guy making the grilled cheese (including me). I love it especially that I have a silly/useful novelty item that I could probably get funded through KickStarter....

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 09:57:02 AM »
If it was for a PB&J I might have thrown in a couple bucks...

ch12

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 07:56:09 AM »
I just received notification that my pledge went through.

The potato salad ended up with 55k.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad?ref=email

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2014, 11:13:16 AM »
It's going to be a long potato salad session since he now has to say 7,000 names out loud while making it!

There are now of course about 500 other potato salad kickstarters..

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2014, 10:52:30 PM »

Cooking is art.

This post is art.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/08/05/a-photo-of-a-4chan-post-sold-for-almost-100000-because-art/

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 02:24:54 AM »

Cooking is art.

This post is art.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/08/05/a-photo-of-a-4chan-post-sold-for-almost-100000-because-art/

Shit, I need to start selling random crap on ebay....

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
Do sell random stuff on ebay. It's the story that sells it.

There's the Ebay Guy who, after divorce, sold his house, transportation, a trial at his job, and an introduction to his friends. He mostly completed his bucket list, then moved to an island: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2564058/Man-50-sells-life-eBay-moves-deserted-tropical-island-Panama-no-electricity-10-resident-chickens.html

There's the Wedding Dress Guy who sold his ex-wife's gown, plus a hilariously sad story on the ebay page: http://weddingdressguy.com/original_ebay_ad/ebaylisting.html

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!