Author Topic: World's most expensive coffee maker...  (Read 8243 times)

ducky19

• Pencil Stache

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: World's most expensive coffee maker...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 08:03:58 AM »
That's actually a lot less ridiculous than I expected it to be. I was expecting something gold-plated with a 5-digit price tag.

Of course, the real "most expensive coffee maker" would be a live-in barista...

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:21:08 AM »
That's not even close to a high end, fancy espresso maker some people crave. Meh, doesn't do it for me. I don't think coffee when I look at my fridge, and it seems like it would use a ton of energy heating already cold water all the time.

Coffee pods are crazy expensive, and terrible for the environment. Even the inventor, while rich, reportedly regrets making them. I typically use a refillable, so cheap folgers goes in and good enough coffee comes out.

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 11:43:55 AM »
Coffee pods are crazy expensive, and terrible for the environment. Even the inventor, while rich, reportedly regrets making them. I typically use a refillable, so cheap folgers goes in and good enough coffee comes out.

Not to mention the coffee-pod coffee is average at best.  Bleh.

bop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 11:51:27 AM »
My cousin and her husband bought a Miele coffee machine for $2500.  Ouch.  They purposely chose a model that had some kind of self-cleaning feature.  Does cleaning an ordinary coffee machine really take that much time?

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 01:08:57 PM »
Sheesh... looks like I should change the title to "World's most expensive Kuerig..."

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
I hate that fridge manufacturers keep putting more and more shit in the door, and taking away more and more space from inside the fridge to do it.  If I have a freezer I can make my own ice.  I can supply myself with cold water from the tap.  I can brew my own damned coffee.

Taking away fridge space makes it a bitch to defrost a turkey, or store huge meals for the week.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 01:31:31 PM »
My cousin and her husband bought a Miele coffee machine for $2500.  Ouch.  They purposely chose a model that had some kind of self-cleaning feature.  Does cleaning an ordinary coffee machine really take that much time?

My office has a Miele that's built into the cabinetry, but they didn't bother to plumb it so you still have to fill it with water and empty the drip tray manually. It's wasteful and takes a long time to make coffee (a cup at a time) because it grinds the beans on the fly, and although it's capable of making lattes, dealing with moving the milk container between the machine and the fridge and cleaning the milk pipework (which it prompts you to do often) is annoying. Overall, I'm sure it cost way more than it's worth, and I'd rather have a plain old Mr. Coffee or whatever.

Actually, now that I think about it, a Miele-type latte machine built into a fridge could almost make sense, since it could keep the milk container cold without having to disconnect it from the machine.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 01:37:24 PM »

Not to mention the coffee-pod coffee is average at best.  Bleh.

Not just low quality, but typically costs about $50 a lb when you do the math on it.  Yes, I know you can use refillable k-cups, but I'm just fine with brewing a regular pot in my cheap ass Mr. Coffee and putting it in a thermos.  I've never had only one cup of coffee at a time in my life, so single-serving dispensers just don't make sense for me.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »
One of my friends won a fancy espresso maker at work, but it's apparently geared to where you can only use the company's pods, and they are an absolute rip-off. I haven't seen the machine, but a while back I sent her some coupons from another company, hopefully she uses them instead.

Last week I visited my cousin and he has a fairly nice machine that while convenient for making lattes (he has a frothier thing for that), I can't imagine how much each pod costs, compared to say using an Aeropress.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 01:50:29 PM »
I like those shiny steel espresso machines that cost well into the four digits. I think at this point, the more common ones are reaching parity with the book value of my car. (Or is it the other way around?)

neil

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 01:52:35 PM »
Espresso machines definitely can be more.  At least this one comes with a free refrigerator!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 02:06:13 PM »
While espresso machines can be more (I think we paid $40 for ours) ... Espresso machines are NOT the same as the pod machines.  If you're using their off-the-shelf espresso/cappuccino/latte... you're getting a bunch of instant coffee and instant milk mixed in there.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 02:12:56 PM »
So, it makes hot water... and probably keep a reservoir of hot water... inside the refrigerator? Wow, that's frigging genius. Must be amazing for the cooling efficiency, especially since it looks to be right next to the ice maker.

The one way I could see this making any sort of sense is if they use the waste heat from the refrigerator to heat the water, and keep the reservoir around the back. Of course, then you have a bacteria breeding ground that's difficult to clean.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »
I think it helps that I don't care too much for fancy coffee, but like regular stuff a lot. We picked up a starbucks espresso machine for like $10 at a yard sale, and I made a bunch of fancy pants drinks with it. Fun to learn, fun to do, and after the 1st drink the machine had paid itself off.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 03:27:54 PM »
Not sure I would call it the most expensive coffee maker.  The fridge with the built in Keurig is only $200 more than the identical one without the Keurig.  It is absolutely ridiculous though.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 05:22:38 PM »
That actually looks like a lot of work. 

here's another silly coffee thing:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/16/ottomatic-chemex-coffee-brewer_n_6329320.html

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 09:07:20 AM »
So then the coffee maker dies and you still have the fridge. Or vice versa. The fridge dies and you are discarding a perfectly good coffee maker.

Same thing happens with DVD/TVs and ALL-In-ONE computers.

No thanks. i'll stick with my $35 Hamilton Beach coffee maker that uses regular coffee grounds and any cup I want to place under the coffee spicket.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 09:12:22 AM »

Or more likely: a tiny little plastic part on the coffee maker breaks.  It would be relatively easy to fix/replace, but they don't sell it.  Instead they only sell the coffee maker thingy as an entire unit and it costs about $450.  (That's always been my experience with the ice-through-the-door dispensers anyway.)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 09:19:52 AM »
Hopefully my next fridge will come with a 3-D printer in the door so that I can print out the little plastic parts that keep breaking . . . in the thing that shouldn't even be in the damned door of my fridge.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 11:16:03 AM »
GREAT idea!

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 04:30:33 AM »
We have a very expensive coffee machine at work which I love (the current model retails for $3500). It is meant for a cafe not an office of 5 people but I'm not complaining. I find it fun and relaxing to grind the beans, tamp the grinds, froth the milk, etc.

While I love using the machine, the quality of the beans and what the person making does has more impact on the cup of coffee. You can most certainly still make terrible coffee in a fancy machine. Just as I've had great coffee from a $50 areopress (those things are overpriced for what they are though). 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 06:38:53 AM »
My parents thought we were nuts for buying a fridge without a water/ice cube dispenser (note: we live in the country. Spring water comes out of our tap. Also the model with the dispenser is 550$ more, and I can buy an ice cube maker for 150 if I'm lazy enough to not make ice cubes in a tray).

In the 5 years since we bought our fridge, we haven't had a single issue. Their dispenser has broken twice in the past year, on a fridge they bought two years ago (200$ repair each time). I can just IMAGINE the repair cost of adding a coffee maker to the front of the door.

Then again, my parents coffee maker just went on 'sale' at costco, and the 'sale' price is 2800$. So. We have different incomes and priorities, overall. (We have the 150$ Breville espresso maker that we got as a wedding present, and it's great. That said, if it breaks, we're looking at a 20$ stovetop espresso maker, which is what we had before. There are ways to get lattes at home that DON'T cost 3k, dear lord.)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 07:12:43 AM »
Just as I've had great coffee from a $50 areopress (those things are overpriced for what they are though).

Was that an estimate of what you paid, or what you actually paid? Amazon sells them for $30, and I think it's worth it if you like espressos, considering most apparatuses are way more pricey or require special beans.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 08:35:36 AM »
I love our icemaker. Lived with ice trays for years and love being able to get ice quickly. Am a big ice user for my drinks.

It is the standard type that lives in the freezer. No problems with any ice maker I've owned ever.

I have recently fixed my friend's ice maker. She bought the part, I installed it. Brittle nylon parts that snapped. Manufacturer should have used aluminum for that one part.

Love trading favors. I fix the ice makers, she keeps our dog when we go out of town, I fix her truck, etc. Sort of like a barn raising.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »
If you really love ice makers (my husband is campaigning for one for our rather frequent cocktail-based get-togethers), you can get a stand-alone one for 150$. Which is a fraction of what it costs to have it integrated into your fridge.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 03:35:30 AM »
Just as I've had great coffee from a $50 areopress (those things are overpriced for what they are though).

Was that an estimate of what you paid, or what you actually paid? Amazon sells them for $30, and I think it's worth it if you like espressos, considering most apparatuses are way more pricey or require special beans.
I don't don't own one myself but have seen them retail for that much in Australia. Agree that they inexpensive compared to other apparatus but expensive for a pretty simple item.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 06:45:14 PM »