Author Topic: Work meeting today...  (Read 14154 times)

Cyaphas

• Bristles
Work meeting today...
« on: May 18, 2016, 04:51:50 PM »
It was announced that free coffee was going away to make way for a 24hr Starbucks at our facility. You'd have thought they'd all have just found out they inherited $50K for how happy my fellow workers were. I just stood there, shaking my head.

MrStash2000

• Stubble
Re: Work meeting today...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 05:08:20 PM »
Wait is the Starbucks free? Or did these people lose out on the free coffee deal?

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 05:19:37 PM »
I can just imagine... I'm not a coffee drinker so have never understood the mania.  By god, though, that coffee pot better be perking in the morning.  I think I'll be subversive and campaign for Earl Grey Tea.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 05:27:12 PM »
Wait is the Starbucks free? Or did these people lose out on the free coffee deal?

In order to make sure the Starbucks turns a profit. The they will not be offering any type of free coffee.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 05:29:59 PM »
I'm speechless...

MrStash2000

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 06:45:13 PM »

In order to make sure the Starbucks turns a profit. The they will not be offering any type of free coffee.

That's a shame. Free coffee is always the best coffee.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 06:48:38 PM »

That's a shame. Free coffee is always the best coffee.

It is. We operate 24/7, so it's mostly about the caffeine and not the taste.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 07:03:47 PM »
They're getting rid of free coffee and people are happy? Amazing.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 08:10:12 PM »
Wow....

I love coffee. My work has free coffee. I don't drink it because it tastes like dirt. Each morning I grind my own coffee.

Starbucks though?  Wow, that is a jump.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 03:52:04 AM »
 Get a coffee maker and keep a fresh brew going with a "donation" jar on the side.  I'm sure fellow coffee drinkers who think Starbucks in place of free coffee is ridiculous will support you.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 06:00:10 AM »
I wouldn't drink the free coffee at work if you paid me.  No one ever cleans the pots or machines and it is a cesspool of bacteria and filth.  Trader Joes beans + Hario mini grinder + French press.  Each cup might cost $0.25 but it's worth it. 

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 07:27:41 AM »
With half-dozen devs and engineers we wear out a coffee grinder every couple of years.
We have two espresso machines on the go and 3-4 french presses.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 07:49:08 AM »
My BIL buys Starbucks (plain drip*) coffee on his walk to work every morning... to his office that serves FREE Starbucks coffee.  I just don't get it.

*I don't drink coffee or know anything about it, so pardon if that's not the right description.  All I know is that it's not one of the fancy drinks - it's exactly what is served in his office.

Pre-2008 recession, DH's office had a small Starbucks stand with a barista.  It was free.  He doesn't drink coffee but was very tempted to start.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 07:56:58 AM »
It was announced that free coffee was going away to make way for a 24hr Starbucks at our facility. You'd have thought they'd all have just found out they inherited $50K for how happy my fellow workers were. I just stood there, shaking my head.

This would cause rioting at my work. We all drink coffee like it's water (yes, this is not healthy. yes, not stopping any time soon).

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 08:03:28 AM »
I wouldn't drink the free coffee at work if you paid me.  No one ever cleans the pots or machines and it is a cesspool of bacteria and filth.  Trader Joes beans + Hario mini grinder + French press.  Each cup might cost $0.25 but it's worth it.

Whoa whoa whoa.  Clean the coffee pot?  But that's where all the flavor lies!  Why would you want to undo all that hard earned brewing work?  I'm in the navy so a dark brown coffee ring stained mug is a bag of honor.  You don't clean suck things lol.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 08:10:21 AM »
My FIL was a consultant for 30 years, so visited lots of different companies.
When he learned I was an accountant, he said "Don't be the asshole who gets rid of the free coffee to save a few dollars."

I don't think he's given me any other advice. But he's adamant on that!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 08:10:44 AM »
Free coffee is the stuff of life and the only reason my office functions in the morning. I can not imagine paying for something that is available for free.

The only time free coffee was NOT a good thing was when I was in the Army Reserves. Sgt. A was given the duty of making the coffee. God bless that man, but he could not make a cup of coffee. That stuff was poison. It was o-dark thirty when I first took a sip and the look on my face made the First Sgt. laugh out loud. Never again, I vowed. Never again. Lowly E-nothing that I was, I offered to take over coffee-duty, and was promptly told to shaddap.

The coffee situation has improved greatly since.

nr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 08:13:54 AM »
if and only if, I have a .99c coupon for Dunkin'.

.99c eh?  One hell of a deal - how do they give change?

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »
Folgers instant coffee for me

I like instant coffee too.  I think it is because I take Nescafe with me when camping and so the taste of instant coffee has good associations with it in my mind. 

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »
Get a coffee maker and keep a fresh brew going with a "donation" jar on the side.  I'm sure fellow coffee drinkers who think Starbucks in place of free coffee is ridiculous will support you.

This^^^

My primary motivation would be for the principle of it, but also to save money. You can also consider getting an Aeropress. Then you can brew great single servings of coffee on demand rather than keeping a brew going all day. Just need a few bits of paraphernalia and an electric kettle to boil water.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 10:36:45 AM »
That's funny.  I have a starbucks account, so I get emails.  I got an email yesterday with a code for a FREE breakfast sandwich.

I'm mustachian and all, but I don't like them quite enough to walk the 1 mile to Starbucks (or drive) for a free sandwich.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 10:38:04 AM »
Hm, yeah ours is probably like that.  I rarely drink work coffee, because these days I am getting to work at 9, and I need my coffee earlier than that.  So I make coffee at home.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 10:40:19 AM »

Whoa whoa whoa.  Clean the coffee pot?  But that's where all the flavor lies!  Why would you want to undo all that hard earned brewing work?  I'm in the navy so a dark brown coffee ring stained mug is a bag of honor.  You don't clean suck things lol.
Ha can you believe I managed 5 years in the Navy and never drank coffee?  Crazy.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 01:42:29 PM »

Ha can you believe I managed 5 years in the Navy and never drank coffee?  Crazy.

That is crazy!  I actually nevre really drank coffee until I joined the Navy.  Something about being on a boat for 24 hours a day with nothing new to do that just made it the go to beverage 24 hours a day...

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 02:52:51 PM »
I'm hooked to Cafe Bustelo and Cafe Pilon instant espresso every morning, in my (free) resuable Starbucks cup. Sometimes I grind Kenyan coffee beans (free from in-laws or family visiting us) and then use my French press at work. I don't need the Keurigs in the office, the cafe in the building next door, the DunkinDonuts or BK on base, or McDonalds just off base. My Kenyan coffee is the reason I am part of the BMC movement (Black Coffees Matter).

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 09:22:28 PM »

I like instant coffee too.  I think it is because I take Nescafe with me when camping and so the taste of instant coffee has good associations with it in my mind.

Neither of these are coffee, period.  They're piss water.

You may as well say Budweiser, Coors Light or Milwaukee's Best are beer.

[only half joking]

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 06:33:32 AM »
Hm, yeah ours is probably like that.  I rarely drink work coffee, because these days I am getting to work at 9, and I need my coffee earlier than that.  So I make coffee at home.

I'm the same way...I make coffee at home and usually have 2 cups before work.

But then I also usually have 3-4 cups of the free coffee at the office too, so I've got that going for me.

I don't typically wash my pot at my house either and I'm not dead yet, so I'm not worried about whether or not they clean the pots at work.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 09:10:03 AM »

Neither of these are coffee, period.  They're piss water.

You may as well say Budweiser, Coors Light or Milwaukee's Best are beer.

[only half joking]

Almost half the world would disagree with you. 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/07/14/almost-half-of-the-world-actually-prefers-instant-coffee/

There's a lot of really good instant coffee, but we don't get it in the US at the local supermarkets. Starbucks instant is terrible, the Nescafe sold in the USA is top-shelf shit. Africafe from Tanzania is my favorite, it doesn't contain any additives, stabilizers, powdered milk, sugar, etc; it is just super-fine ground coffee. My preference is french-press using freshly ground beans. BCM.

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »

I cannot drink work coffee either -- I don't know what they do to it, but it always tastes burnt, at every office I've ever worked at. Usually it's both caustic AND burnt.

When I was working in insurance and getting my security clearance for my current job in Government, an Investigator had to come to my job and interview me and my boss and coworkers. His only request was that we give him coffee... but it had to be free coffee, because I couldn't give him anything of any market value or it would skew the investigation. I took one look at the office coffee -- shiny with an oil slick and looking like it had been there for about three weeks and could be used to clean rust --and promptly poured my Starbucks into a plain cup and brought it to the investigator. I was pretty sure that if the guy died because the office coffee ate through his stomach like something out of aliens, it was not going to reflect well on my suitability.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
I consider the free coffee at my office to be a perc of the job.

nr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 03:20:57 PM »
I consider the free coffee at my office to be a perc of the job.

I see what you did there!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 04:23:12 PM »

Maybe all your coworkers own Starbucks stock...

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2016, 04:53:29 PM »

Maybe all your coworkers own Starbucks stock...

Nope... most of them have Mcmansions and drive huge 4 door jacked up trucks and jeeps. That the only off roading they get in is when they can't drive home straight from the bar.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 04:56:02 PM »
Taster's Choice instant coffee, 1 tsp of real vanilla extract, half and half and stevia. It tastes as good to me as a Starbucks Vanilla Latte.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 05:04:15 PM »
At work we have 2 Keurig machines and usually an assortment of 6-10 different types of FREE coffee brands and 2-4 tea ones. Annndd everyday I see 90% of my fellow coworkers walk in with Starbucks in hand. It's amazing.
*snip*

As someone who hates coffee, you can't get decent tea out of a Keurig that has brewed coffee.  Rinsing the inner plastic basket and running a plain-water cycle help only a little.  There are always the nasty coffee-taste and stink that get into the tea.  *shudders*

if and only if, I have a .99c coupon for Dunkin'.

.99c eh?  One hell of a deal - how do they give change?

Wooo, $0.0099?  NR, you are right, that is a bargain!  Maybe they round up to a penny for the first 99 cups and give you the hundredth cup for free.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 05:32:01 PM »
Nope... most of them have Mcmansions and drive huge 4 door jacked up trucks and jeeps. That the only off roading they get in is when they can't drive home straight from the bar.

I wasn't holding out much hope... I worked with a small crew doing energy efficiency renovations on local homes a couple of years ago. Every day someone from the crew would make a trip to the local coffee shop (prices at least double Starbucks' because there are no roads to the town) and buy a round. After watching this for a month or so I heard the foreman telling one of the younger guys to "stack some paychecks for the winter". This apparently involves not cashing your paycheck for a few months so you can't spend the money...

Astreja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2016, 11:32:33 PM »
I used to drop at least $1.50 a day at work buying morning coffee.  I finally came to my senses and brought in a cheap electric kettle, a pour-over cone and box of #2 coffee filters, and a can of coffee that I liked.

Later I upgraded to a bigger kettle (with a co-worker donating $10 to offset the cost).

Finally I switched from the pour-over cone to an AeroPress, which makes better-than-Starbucks coffee in about 30 seconds after you pour the hot water.  It might even be faster than using a Keurig or other pod-type machine.  Cost per cup:  About 4 cents for the disc filter plus maybe 30-35 cents for the coffee.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2016, 05:36:16 AM »
I used to drop at least $1.50 a day at work buying morning coffee.  I finally came to my senses and brought in a cheap electric kettle, a pour-over cone and box of #2 coffee filters, and a can of coffee that I liked.

Later I upgraded to a bigger kettle (with a co-worker donating $10 to offset the cost).

Finally I switched from the pour-over cone to an AeroPress, which makes better-than-Starbucks coffee in about 30 seconds after you pour the hot water.  It might even be faster than using a Keurig or other pod-type machine.  Cost per cup:  About 4 cents for the disc filter plus maybe 30-35 cents for the coffee.

How long does it take to heat the water? That's what I like about my Keurig - heats water to the perfect temp, every time, in about 40 seconds. With a reusable filter, and my locally-roasted gourmet coffee donated, it's pretty cheap, and super duper easy.

I guess if I were making coffee on work-time, I might not care if it takes a little longer though!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2016, 08:47:08 AM »
At work we have 2 Keurig machines
That's what we have at work too.  Every person keeps his own K-cups in his desk drawer and makes what he wants, when he wants.  It's a good system. 

Personally, I'm glad I never developed the habit.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »

Yep - non-compete clause in the Starbucks contract... ;)

At one of my employers you could not cater anything without going through the on-site food contractor.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2016, 06:12:49 PM »

That is crazy!  I actually nevre really drank coffee until I joined the Navy.  Something about being on a boat for 24 hours a day with nothing new to do that just made it the go to beverage 24 hours a day...

I didn't drink coffee until the Navy moved me to Italy. Then I became an espresso junkie. I still make it at home today with the same little $10 coffee maker that sits on the stove that I bought there.

Can't do the Dunkin/KrispyCreme/McDonald's/Starbucks drip coffee - always tastes burnt.

For $5 it ought to be the best damn cup of coffee in the western hemisphere.

Alas, DW and I feel we make the best coffee anywhere at home with a cheap coffee single cup coffee maker (basket, grounds from your favorite grocery store beans, load with water, turn it on)...

Astreja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2016, 07:44:12 PM »
How long does it take to heat the water? That's what I like about my Keurig - heats water to the perfect temp, every time, in about 40 seconds. With a reusable filter, and my locally-roasted gourmet coffee donated, it's pretty cheap, and super duper easy.

It depends on how much water is in the kettle at the time.  Around 9:00 I load the AeroPress with coffee and head over to the break room, and at least half the time someone's already started up the kettle for their own beverage. If it isn't boiling yet, I leave my coffee gear there and go back to my desk for another 5-7 minutes (I'm a transcriptionist and sit all day long, so short stretch breaks are highly encouraged.)

I may have a biased view on Keurigs, as someone brought one in for a coffee-and-cake party.  That particular machine took forever to heat up and the coffee was scalding hot, so it may not be a good representative of the brand.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2016, 09:28:19 PM »
Around 9:00 I load the AeroPress with coffee and head over to the break room, and at least half the time someone's already started up the kettle for their own beverage. If it isn't boiling yet, I leave my coffee gear there and go back to my desk for another 5-7 minutes
I do this a dozen times a day only to discover somebody has taken all the water.
So then I have to hunt them down ....,

Although it does explain why the murder rate is so much lower in Europe with 230V appliances.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2016, 09:41:23 PM »
I work in a federal facility, which means free coffee is expressly illegal.  Sucks.  Something about not overpaying federal workers with extravagant perks.

So we each take turns buying coffee, or pitch in change if you don't.  Despite this ever present supply, the Starbucks two blocks from the office is on a first name basis with like half of my co-workers.  It's primarily a social thing, not a caffeine thing, and I have definitely suffered by not joining them.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2016, 09:47:08 PM »
I work in a federal facility, which means free coffee is expressly illegal. 
Suddenly everything about the way government works makes sense .....

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2016, 05:24:34 AM »
I work in a federal facility, which means free coffee is expressly illegal.  Sucks.  Something about not overpaying federal workers with extravagant perks.

So we each take turns buying coffee, or pitch in change if you don't.  Despite this ever present supply, the Starbucks two blocks from the office is on a first name basis with like half of my co-workers.  It's primarily a social thing, not a caffeine thing, and I have definitely suffered by not joining them.

At first I read this and went "What?! I'm a fed, and we totally have free coffee at work!" But... no, actually, we don't. I have a boss who is a crazy coffee fanatic and subsidizes the beans, and we have enough left over creamer and sugar to cover us from events, so it's free to us but not free-free.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2016, 07:29:08 AM »
Around 9:00 I load the AeroPress with coffee and head over to the break room, and at least half the time someone's already started up the kettle for their own beverage. If it isn't boiling yet, I leave my coffee gear there and go back to my desk for another 5-7 minutes
I do this a dozen times a day only to discover somebody has taken all the water.
So then I have to hunt them down ....,

Although it does explain why the murder rate is so much lower in Europe with 230V appliances.

Y'all have different electricity over there? Or different kettles? I am very confused by this. When I make coffee or tea at work (either for just myself or doing a round), I put the water in the kettle and put it on to boil. Then I get the mug out and get the teabag or spoonful of instant coffee (and accompanying smidge of sugar to make it taste a bit better) ready. By the time I've done that the kettle's practically boiling. And the more cups I am making, the more water I put in the kettle, so the boiling time and mug-prep time almost always coincide nicely.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2016, 09:18:55 AM »
240V * 13A = kettle boils
110V * 15A = kettle sits there like a sulky teenager without actually heating the water very much

Dictionary Time

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2016, 05:47:25 PM »

The little circle filters are totally reusable, just peel it off and put it back in the grate part.

But that's just my 4c