Author Topic: Woman to only consume Starbucks for a year  (Read 9774 times)

Mactrader

• Stubble
Woman to only consume Starbucks for a year
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:10:55 PM »
http://consumerist.com/2013/01/10/seattle-woman-determined-to-only-consume-starbucks-products-for-entire-year/

Many of us have probably already broken our New Year’s resolutions by now — if we ever made any to begin with — but one woman in Seattle says she’s determined to stick out the entire 365 days of 2013 consuming nothing but products made by Starbucks and its associated companies.
It’s perhaps good timing that she’s doing this year-long experiment after Starbucks has acquired Tazo Tea and Evolution Fresh juices. That way, she’s not just limited to the standard ‘bucks hot beverages.
“I’ve been going in and getting their nutrition by the cup charts for all their serving sizes,” the woman, whose actual name is Beautiful Existence (a choice my mom came oh-so-close to making when I was born), tells MyNorthwest.com. “I’m already getting a feel for what to eat — the plain nut pack as a snack because it only has 190 calories, compared to the piece of pumpkin bread.”
Of course, this all comes with what some would call a hefty price. So far, she’s averaging $18.79 a day on food and drink from Starbucks. For those of you who eat out all the time, this might seem like pennies. But some bargain shoppers who save money by eating in (and making their own coffee) will probably see that as wasteful.
But Ms. Existence, who says she does not work for Starbucks and is receiving no payment for her efforts, says she doesn’t mind spending the money.
“The company pays good benefits for part-time workers,” she explains. “That’s where my money is going.”
For those interested in following this story, Ms. Existence’s exploits are updated on a regular basis on her personal blog.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
Re: Woman to only consume Starbucks for a year
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »
$18.79 * 365 / 12 = $571/mo    I've certainly seen worse grocery+restaurant tabs here on the forums.  I think it's more ridiculously unhealthy than antimustachian.  Blargh.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:30:13 PM »
I foresee her hitting Morgan Spurlock health problem territory within a couple months on this diet, even if she is counting calories. Maybe not as extreme, but they'll surface. It's all the same over-processed crap.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
Does Starbucks even sell anything containing vegetables? Or protein?

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »

Carrot cake and nuts...  :)

It's obviously just for the publicity, I'm sure she is hoping for a book deal out of it.  Best we can do is just ignore her, but if that was going to happen she wouldn't be doing it.  I'm just surprised it hasn't been done yet.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »
Yes, they have vegetables and fruit. They have protein boxes that have whole wheat crackers, cheese, hard boiled egg and fruit. They also have veggies, grilled chicken and hummus packs as well as wrap sandwich boxes. Also whole fruit, fruit cups, yogurt parfaits with granola, oatmeal, etc.

*hangs head in shame for knowing all of the options*

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 02:16:15 PM »

It's obviously just for the publicity, I'm sure she is hoping for a book deal out of it.  Best we can do is just ignore her, but if that was going to happen she wouldn't be doing it.  I'm just surprised it hasn't been done yet.

People sure will do some crazy things to get national attention.

Remember that guy who had his son hide in the attic and pretended he was trapped in an escaped weather balloon in the hopes of landing a reality TV show.

Khao

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 02:40:57 PM »
[...] whose actual name is Beautiful Existence [...]

What do you expect in life when some crazy parents named their kid like that?

DebtDerp

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 02:52:09 PM »
It doesn't look like she is actually doing this for money or attention: http://1yearofmylife.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/why-i-do/

But when I watched those guys doing their thing I asked myself “where are the WOMEN challenging themselves in the world?” “Where are the effects being shown on a woman’s culture? A woman’s family & children? A woman’s diet, weight, fashion, checkbook, community and world through challenges?” “Where is HER VOICE on how an international company is directly or indirectly impacting everything from her waistline to her bottom line and every other woman’s, man’s, child’s, societies and planets world with their presence?”

Even if it is a ridiculous challenge I think she is sincere, at least as sincere as hipsters can be. Oh, and I think she was the one who changed her name to Beautiful Existence.

Khao

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
Even if it is a ridiculous challenge I think she is sincere, at least as sincere as hipsters can be. Oh, and I think she was the one who changed her name to Beautiful Existence.

She is the pinnacle of hipsterism.

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 03:22:17 PM »

They definitely aren't frugal, but Starbucks now actually has some healthy lunch options: http://www.starbucks.com/menu/catalog/product?food=bistro-boxes#view_control=product  Cheese & Fruit, Chicken & Hummus, Chipotle Chicken Wraps, Goat Cheese & Garden Veggies.  I'll probably end up making some homemade versions for myself :)

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 03:39:48 PM »
Remember that guy who had his son hide in the attic and pretended he was trapped in an escaped weather balloon in the hopes of landing a reality TV show.

Oh yes, I do remember him.  What a nutter.  I watched the whole balloon chase unwind live, streaming from CNN.  What a waste of resources.

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »
.. makes documentary called "Venti Size Me"

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »
I really don't get it. What kind of example is she setting for her kids? She says she cheated because she tasted some muffin batter that she was preparing for her family.

So while she is chowing down on branded Starbucks every single day and spending over 500.00 a month to do so on her own personal food budget, she is still feeding them normal food...how is that effecting her kids perception of eating and the entire family's bottom line? Not to mention the wear and tear on transport, the time sink and having to haul the kids around to Starbucks...

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 12:09:45 PM »
I'm ignoring her. Just another deluded nut trying desperately to be relevant to others while focusing only on herself. When I checked out her blog a couple days ago out of curiosity, she hadn't even received as much attention and comments as my sad little sewing blog gets daily. Maybe people see this for the pathetic illness that it is?

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 05:10:55 PM »
I figured from the thread title this was going to be another one of those counter-maintstream things, like the dude who only ate McDonalds and got shredded. 

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »
Yes, they have vegetables and fruit. They have protein boxes that have whole wheat crackers, cheese, hard boiled egg and fruit. They also have veggies, grilled chicken and hummus packs as well as wrap sandwich boxes. Also whole fruit, fruit cups, yogurt parfaits with granola, oatmeal, etc.

LOL

c

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 06:08:50 PM »

LOL

I am always surprised at the calorie content of those boxes, especially since they are quite small. They look like they'd probably taste ok, but seem expensive for what they are.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 06:49:45 PM »
Whoops, I didn't even read all of the choices, I just thought it was funny that she probably got to the end and was just like.... "shit..."  I'm not sure what a protein box is, I've (holier than thou moment coming) only been in a Starbucks once.  I got a espresso, it was ok :/

noob515

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 11:34:19 AM »
This has been done before:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/woman-claims-lost-75-pounds-starbucks-diet-article-1.1161372

Wait, you mean to tell me that someone was able to lose 75lbs by eating nothing but tiny, overpriced portions of low-nutrient food and drinking stimulants while rigorously counting calories? *gasp*
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:39:48 AM by I.P. Daley »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 11:48:49 AM »

She is the pinnacle of hipsterism.

A true hipster would never go to a place like Starbucks.  I mean yeah, they went to the first store when it had just opened up, but since then the company has totally sold out.