Author Topic: With $3 million windfall, Georgia man invests in meth as next winning ticket  (Read 4273 times)

slugline

• Handlebar Stache

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Just came here to post this.

Very creative!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Always astounded me what could be achieved by these very smart and creative drug lords if they put their minds to a legal business empire....

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Hey now, I've heard that meth is a pretty big industry down in Brunswick (third behind fishing and shipping, maybe)?~

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Whaaaaaat. Insanity.

MrStash2000

• Stubble
This was just following his hero Walter White. Except in reverse.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
Just proves you can't fix stupid.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Looks like he'll have room and board paid for by the government for the rest of his retirement, so I guess it didn't work out so bad.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
But the neighbors he'll have....

Maybe they are his kind of people.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
He didn't even go for the manufacturing of meth, he just wanted to buy in bulk and resell it.  With $3M why would you even bother with meth at all, unless you were a meth addict and just wanted to smoke it?  But then why bother reselling it?  He could have retired, and using the 4% rule, give himself a very large meth budget in perpetuity.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
The best part might be the idea that a guy decides to mingle with criminals who may have very well known that he's suddenly flush with cash. If the law didn't get him, one of his associates may have taken him down for money.

Jmoody10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hey now, I've heard that meth is a pretty big industry down in Brunswick (third behind fishing and shipping, maybe)?~

Outside of shrimp season, it easily places second!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
Meth is such a wonderful drug - a drug that rots your face off. Gotta get some!

WHY are people so stupid?!?!?!

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
Government makes it very lucrative to buy/sell/manufacture/transport. Without prohibition it would not be so lucrative and this fellow who has harmed no one would likely not have got into the meth business. The guy buys lotto tickets, so may have a gambling problem, and of course doesn't understand that the lottery is a voluntary tax paid to the same government who imprisoned him for a victimless crime. The high risk/reward scenario prohibition creates means entering the market is a gamble (more so than entering the food distribution market), but clearly worthwhile to some. Not much different fundamentally than buying lotto tickets.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Always astounded me what could be achieved by these very smart and creative drug lords if they put their minds to a legal business empire....

I think that these type of smart, creative people clearly realize that they can make much greater annualized returns in the illicit enterprise than they could in legal business.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
Because putting it all in VTSAX would have been entirely too boring. . . .

http://fox59.com/2016/07/27/georgia-man-wins-3-million-in-lottery-uses-money-to-build-crystal-meth-empire/

it even made the Belgian papers!! The stupidity is really unbelievable!!
I do wonder, did the guy really had nobody to pull him aside and show him that even after taxes and a very conservative investment approach he could easily live off his investments for the rest of his live?

Does the lottery in the USA not have a service that counsels the big ticket winners? Our lottery is state run and I have read in quiet a few newspapers articles that there apparently is pretty good counceling for all big ticket winners. I can also not remember ever reading about a Belgian lottery winner blowing all his winnings on stupid stuff ...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
I'd bet that there is ZERO counseling in the USA for Lottery winners from the lottery agency.

Don't know about the rest of the country but DW and I received very, very little counseling from anyone but family for most of life's big decisions, and the family advice was sometimes somewhat flawed.

That's why MMM has been such a good thing for me. Have learned so much from you good people. 

Edited: swapped an "are" for an "is".
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:13:05 AM by Joe Lucky »