Author Topic: Whole foods asparagus water  (Read 9656 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Whole foods asparagus water
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:26:53 AM »

Yeah

Matt_D

• Stubble

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Whole foods asparagus water
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 08:59:18 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whole-foods-removes-6-asparagus-water-from-store-shelves/

From the Article
"It was meant to be water with the essence of vegetables and/or mushrooms (similar to bone broth), which is typically made over a long period of time soaking in water," Burkhart explained. "It was made incorrectly and has since been removed."

It was supposed to have 4 sprigs of asparagus not 3.  I bet whoever was on QC that day lost their job....

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 09:05:27 AM »
Umm, no thanks.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:40:58 AM »
what are the supposed benefits of this asparagus water?  I like asparagus properly cooked and I like water hopefully clean lol but what is combining the two supposed to od other than waste water and lighten your wallet?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:43:12 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whole-foods-removes-6-asparagus-water-from-store-shelves/

From the Article
"It was meant to be water with the essence of vegetables and/or mushrooms (similar to bone broth), which is typically made over a long period of time soaking in water," Burkhart explained. "It was made incorrectly and has since been removed."

It was supposed to have 4 sprigs of asparagus not 3.  I bet whoever was on QC that day lost their job....

Does anyone make vegetable broth by just soaking veggies in cold water? Because I always heat mine, or it doesn't work.

Yea, I think that's one of the reason this story was making the rounds on the internet.  It's not really good for anything.  It was just a vegetable in a jar, with water.  I suppose if people buy it and whole foods makes a profit, great for them.  It does make me wonder who would buy it though.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 12:12:22 PM »
I think it's used for if your piss doesn't smell funny enough.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 12:20:10 PM »
Don't forget, it's unpasteurized asparagus water, so it's super healthy.

laughing_paddler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
I've heard there's a belief out there that the smellies come from detoxing effects that asparagus has (according to this article http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-asparagus-makes-your-urine-smell-49961252/?no-ist, it has to do with a certain chemical being broken down, detoxification effects aren't mentioned) so maybe they're making the leap to 'detoxing water'?

Whatever their reasons for "making" this product, it's ridiculous.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 01:24:17 PM »
I've heard there's a belief out there that the smellies come from detoxing effects that asparagus has (according to this article http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-asparagus-makes-your-urine-smell-49961252/?no-ist, it has to do with a certain chemical being broken down, detoxification effects aren't mentioned) so maybe they're making the leap to 'detoxing water'?

That's really dumb. If it were detoxing you, the smell would vary significantly between people (and over time). It doesn't.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 01:38:13 PM »
I still think this came out of a wager in the Whole Foods marketing department.

"Hey, since our customers will pay ridiculous sums for anything we put out there, let's come up with the most outrageous product we can for $5.99."

"Okay, how about four pieces of broccoli in a mason jar of water? We'll bill it as some sort of veggie superwater."

"I like it. But let's make it asparagus as an f-you to Michael Pollan. Remember how he bashed us in the Omnivore's Dilemma for flying our asparagus in from Peru, saying the jet fuel used wasn't exactly in keeping with our all-organic, save-the-world philosophy?"

"Asparagus water. Let's do it!"

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 01:58:02 PM »
I guess it would be ok if it was made without gluten and if they used free range, cage free asparagus.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 02:41:03 PM »
I think WF has a department that monitors social media for the hot fads, then creates the products to support the fads. I'd love to work in that dept.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 02:59:55 PM »
I've been to fancy restaurants that put cucumber in your icewater and it's delicious! Not gonna pay extra for any such thing though.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »

That's really dumb. If it were detoxing you, the smell would vary significantly between people (and over time). It doesn't.
If  'detoxing'* was actually real, that would be really cool, too.

*there are a few very specific exceptions - chelating heavy metals (which is also abused as pseudo-science/pseudo medicine by some practitioners) and a few very specific methods of removing very specific toxins.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »

I sort of understand the group of people they're trying to cash in on.  They just implemented it poorly.  It's the same people that buy almond milk -- which is mostly water, sugar (or artificial sweetener) and about 2% or less actual almonds.

phillystash

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 07:32:17 PM »
Actually a lot of people who buy almond milk are those who would just rather a cow was not rape racked to have a calf so they can lactate  and have the calf taken away to make veal or another dairy cow and repeat until they die about 15 years earlier than they have to just so people can drink cows milk and eat their flesh. It is better to just buy any nut in bulk and blend it with a couple cups of water as a replacement but whatever.  But back to original post, seriously asparagus water makes no sense
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:37:46 PM by phillystash »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 08:03:19 PM »
Picture has to be fake, if it were real the label would have to include a random selection from this list. 
"Free Range"
"Organic"
"GMO free"
"Paleo Approved"
"Naturally No Chemicals"
"Fair Trade Import"
"Locally Sourced"
"Not Tested on Animals"
"Dolphin Free"

Are we still doing "dolphin free", I find caned tuna fish discussing-so dont know?

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 08:20:07 PM »
Actually a lot of people who buy almond milk are those who would just rather a cow was not rape racked to have a calf so they can lactate  and have the calf taken away to make veal or another dairy cow and repeat until they die about 15 years earlier than they have to just so people can drink cows milk and eat their flesh. It is better to just buy any nut in bulk and blend it with a couple cups of water as a replacement but whatever.  But back to original post, seriously asparagus water makes no sense

If you think dairy cows live a rough life, you've never been to a dairy farm. But more to the point, if you have ethical objections to dairy, then drink some fucking water instead of trying to squeeze milk out of your nuts.

fb132

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 08:22:29 PM »
Whole Foods should also release footages of people actually buying this crap and maybe the media can interview them and ask them "Why?"

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 06:29:15 AM »

If you think dairy cows live a rough life, you've never been to a dairy farm. But more to the point, if you have ethical objections to dairy, then drink some fucking water instead of trying to squeeze milk out of your nuts.

Exactly.   The problem with almond milk is that its a ripoff, not that it's a milk replacement.  It's water and a slurry of other junk you probably would never eat.  Almonds: not so much. 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 07:14:27 AM »

Exactly.   The problem with almond milk is that its a ripoff, not that it's a milk replacement.  It's water and a slurry of other junk you probably would never eat.  Almonds: not so much.

I think this tread is about to jump the shark and get stupid, dropping out.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 07:29:42 AM »

...How many people's asparagus pee have you smelled?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 08:48:51 AM »

Funny:  I thought it intentionally started stupid. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 12:04:28 PM »

Funny:  I thought it intentionally started stupid.

Yeah but that was, like, ironical.  It was a joke.  A prank.  A social experiment.  For YouTube and such.  Bro

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »

[insert dirty joke here]

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 09:48:42 PM »

Water in cereal tastes like crap, that's the main thing I buy soy milk for.
Soy milk of course doesn't have the same problem as almond milk, it has a lot more actual nuts in it (hence the dramatically higher protein content compared to almond milk).
I do occasionally get dark chocolate almond milk though as a treat, which is just pure amazing.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 11:11:23 AM »

Soy milk of course doesn't have the same problem as almond milk, it has a lot more actual nuts in it (hence the dramatically higher protein content compared to almond milk).
I do occasionally get dark chocolate almond milk though as a treat, which is just pure amazing.

So basically liquid Nutella.:D

minimalist

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 11:46:23 AM »

Oh, I have no objections to soy milk. My objection to almond milk the idea of wasting most of the nutritional content of precious, incredibly resource-intense almonds as alluded to in minimalist's link.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »

Oh, I have no objections to soy milk. My objection to almond milk the idea of wasting most of the nutritional content of precious, incredibly resource-intense almonds as alluded to in minimalist's link.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »
If anyone wants to see other ridiculous shit from Whole Foods, this gallery is a gem.

http://thechive.com/2015/08/07/sometimes-whole-foods-goes-too-far-with-their-products-21-photos/