Author Topic: Who Wants to Buy the Most Expensive House in America?  (Read 2744 times)

poko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Who Wants to Buy the Most Expensive House in America?
« on: January 02, 2018, 07:32:44 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/23/style/the-most-expensive-house-in-america.html

At a minimum, he said, there are four swimming pools, including the ones in the nightclub and master suite. But by another count, he said, there are seven, including an infinity-edge moat that surrounds the property, as well as indoor spa pools. He also lost track of the number of elevators.

Don't worry, 7 of the 20 bedrooms are for staff!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Who Wants to Buy the Most Expensive House in America?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 07:34:42 PM »
I'm in. Are we putting in an offer together?

poko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 08:21:35 PM »
yessss! I'll take the 5,500 square foot master suite lololol :D

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:34:00 AM »
Pfft. If I'm going to live in a house with a moat, it'll be a REAL moat. None of this infinity edge nonsense. It will be filled with pikes and other fish that can rip a person's face off to keep my enemies from storming the fortress.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 06:54:01 AM »
I'll take the garage.  :-)

The fact that the house was so big they had to build an entire second house (a/k/a 5500' "master suite") as an "escape" kinda says it all. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »
Did I read this correctly that he's not building it for anyone in particular and is looking for a buyer?  What happens if he can't get his price?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:23:11 AM »
I'd rather have this one:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4670144/villa-les-cedres-most-expensive-house-in-the-world-france/

Actually, nah I'll take the money and a much more modest house with a view.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »
There's a reason many of the Gilded Age estates are now public properties, they are massively expensive to maintain and property taxes are likely insane. It was one thing for the Robber Barons to pass them to their children as they were likely to be wealthy, but I just don't see it for these $100M houses. I can see them maybe being owned by insanely rich foreigners looking to park money, but then again to people like the developer I'm probably just a poor guy that lives in a house that is only 1600 sf.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 03:47:57 PM »
There's a reason many of the Gilded Age estates are now public properties, they are massively expensive to maintain and property taxes are likely insane. It was one thing for the Robber Barons to pass them to their children as they were likely to be wealthy, but I just don't see it for these $100M houses. I can see them maybe being owned by insanely rich foreigners looking to park money, but then again to people like the developer I'm probably just a poor guy that lives in a house that is only 1600 sf.

Most of the old estates were built before the introduction of property tax, income tax, minimum wage, or employee benefits. Cost of maintenance was far, far lower especially when the buildings were new and nothing had worn out yet.