Author Topic: When do you pay $13.45 for a $7.66 McDonald’s meal?  (Read 3468 times)

DeNovo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
When do you pay $13.45 for a $7.66 McDonald’s meal?
« on: September 04, 2017, 05:02:34 PM »
There are too many gems in this article: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/09/03/when-you-pay-for-mcdonald-meal-when-you-millennial/CAP3l51wbge9s3dBuuRsnJ/story.html

For some people, such is the perceived nuisance of cooking that on a recent weekday night two millennials were overheard deciding what to order from Grubhub — as they stood in line at Whole Foods in Brighton (to pay for a bottle of cold-pressed juice).

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
Re: When do you pay $13.45 for a $7.66 McDonald’s meal?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »
And they  may have students loans, too, on top of that food bill.

I know some who think cooking at home is "something poor people do". Although they may not say it in those exact words, that is the attitude they project about it.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »

I know some who think cooking at home is "something poor people do". Although they may not say it in those exact words, that is the attitude they project about it.
The irony, as pointed out in The Millionaire Nextdoor, is that few wealthy people are eating out regularly, even at McDonald's.  Nearly all the people I know that actually have wealth cook nearly all their own meals.  Cause and effect (just like the dude in The Matrix reloaded).  That french dude put on a good show at his fancy restaurant, but i bet those sex deserts aint cheap...I bet his virtual reality bank account was overdrawn.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 09:56:30 PM »
I knew a married couple who weren't wealthy. They hired a personal chef for a while, to prepare personalized dinners for them. This was quite the fashionable thing a few years back.

Of course, it didn't last when his business tanked.

I had a friend who lived in  a house with one of those big kitchens, with the granite countertops, nice appliances and spent a lot of money remodeling it to look "Tuscany". But she never cooked in her kitchen at all, except occasionally to make a batch of slice n' bake cookies.  Her and her spouse ate out at restaurants or got take-out food for lunch and dinner, every day. She thought I was adorably simple for making meals at home.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 06:57:41 AM »
We stayed with some friends of friends when our son was in the NICU in New Orleans for 9 days after he was born. Very warm, welcoming family. Their home was an architectural masterpiece located in a historic neighborhood, and of course they had the granite countertops and custom cabinets and an 8-burner commercial gas range. I decided to make spaghetti with from-scratch sauce for our families one evening, but I couldn't figure out how to turn on the range. I asked the husband how to turn it on, and he just stared blankly and said that they never used it. Um...okay...a few more minutes of fiddling and I had it fired up...but dang.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:08:24 AM »

The irony, as pointed out in The Millionaire Nextdoor, is that few wealthy people are eating out regularly, even at McDonald's.  Nearly all the people I know that actually have wealth cook nearly all their own meals.  Cause and effect (just like the dude in The Matrix reloaded).  That french dude put on a good show at his fancy restaurant, but i bet those sex deserts aint cheap...I bet his virtual reality bank account was overdrawn.

I don't know if this is true.  What kind of surveying of wealthy people was done?

Or at least, what are we defining as regularly?

My antecdata is that the wealthy people (as in multi-million net worth) I know eat out a lot. Often at very nice places. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 08:59:10 AM »

I don't know if this is true.  What kind of surveying of wealthy people was done?

Or at least, what are we defining as regularly?

My antecdata is that the wealthy people (as in multi-million net worth) I know eat out a lot. Often at very nice places.

I think Stanley and Danko did survey-based studies, targeting people in high income and high net worth brackets. Exactly how they got their samples, I'm not sure.

There's a distinction between using a restaurant to simply eat, using a restaurant to entertain other people, and using a restaurant to treat someone. Each of these decisions depends a lot on where you're located, whether you're within reach of your kitchen, and the space and cooking resources you've got at home. People who have to travel a lot for work or who live in a HCOL area are more likely to use restaurants than people in rural or small-town locations, and that's regardless of income and wealth.