Author Topic: When Being A Good Person Is What’s Making You Broke  (Read 6388 times)

vivophoenix

• Bristles
When Being A Good Person Is What’s Making You Broke
« on: April 12, 2016, 01:58:46 PM »
sorry this made me literally cackle: this would never be me!

sounds like she was addicted to the praise, and having never been poor, could not visualize repercussions.

http://thefinancialdiet.com/when-being-a-good-person-is-whats-making-you-broke/

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
Re: When Being A Good Person Is What’s Making You Broke
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »
For what she paid for someone's sick parakeet, she could have bought an entire flock and a flight cage to house them. It's not "being a good person" that was making her broke, it was "being a stupid person".

Pity her parents didn't teach her the merits of anonymous donation. That tends to reduce the donate-for-attention impulse.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:16:40 PM »
She was just giving money to friends so they would praise her and she is still looking for praise by saying she is broke because she is such a good person.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 06:56:02 AM »
I agree with YogiKitti. This isn't about helping others, this is about making herself look and feel good.

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 09:34:41 AM »
Oh, man.  She was soooooo generous , she now has to eat turkey sandwhiches for lunch instead of going out to eat everyday? 

Everyone who said she was mostly just after praise is really on the nose. At least she realized this and is trying to be more constructive.

"My main goal now is to be a better friend. Learning to be a good listener and help finding more permanent solutions to their problems has proven to be more effective than just simply cutting someone a check."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 03:40:29 PM »
Most of my friends think that I am stingy, they don't really see a difference in frugality, but not a single person that really knows me thinks me as anything other than a 'good' person. A friend of mine that kept thinking that I don't have any feelings because of my Myers-Briggs confessed that she was wrong after getting to know me better. I tend to be really rational and sometimes that means ignoring how I feel about something in favor of cold, hard facts while she is largely the opposite (though is largely level-headed as well).

I guess what I am trying to say, you don't need to open your checkbook to be considered a good person...much less be one.

Cheryl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 06:55:18 PM »
Semi On-Topic: You can give to charity without actually giving up any money or time!

If you have a smart phone and walk, run, or bike at ALL, get the Charity Miles app.  You turn it on when you start, turn it off when you're done, and whatever company signed up for the moment gives a few cents per mile to a charity of your choice.  It's not much, but it adds up.  More so, I would think, with this crowd, who are more prone to foot-powered transportation.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 02:33:35 PM »
"Topic: When Being A Good Person  Trying To Buy  Approval From Others Is What’s Making You Broke  (Read 1574 times)"

edited for clarity.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 04:59:09 PM »
To be fair, she admits she was stupid for just giving out money, even says that they always seemed to come back with more problems.  She says being a better friend feels just as good as donating to their causes, and says she could/should have donated her time instead of money.  I'm all for poking fun at her previous naive behaviors, but I think she pointed out all the issues with her thinking and came to the right conclusions.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 05:05:43 PM »
Hey, ice cream is expensive these days. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 05:12:35 PM »
Re: makng yourself look good by givng money

One of the most annoying  things going on in my  neighborhood is a diva who prances around throwing other peole's money at projects and tha ks yous.

DH was the recipient of her largesse a couple of times--big bouquest os flowers as " Thank you" and "get well" sentiments. At the tme I though to meself "well isnt that nice!" But I didnt realiZe that the beeotch is spending MY money on this stupid chit.

This whole Lady Bountiful act is what I observed an Alderman do. She was very young and not especially vright, and she won the seat only becuae two strong canddates cancelled each other out. She hnestly thought that he job was to grab the money and dispense it amoung her peons.

Oy vey.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 09:09:26 PM »
I agree that she wasn't helping to do good -- she was helping so that people would pat her on the back and say, "What a good person you are." 

This is even addressed in the Bible:  So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. "But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

She also should've listened to her parents about building that emergency fund and taking care of herself.  Is the parakeet's owner going to help her when she finishes college and needs to move to another state for her first job?  Is the American Cancer Fund going to help her pay her deposit on her first apartment?  No.  It's good to help -- sometimes even to help until it hurts -- but not to give everything away when you yourself haven't yet established yourself in the world. 

Since Bible verses are on my mind, I'll throw this verse out too -- it describes how a virtuous woman manages her finances and household goods:

"She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.  She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.  She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple ... She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant."

This describes a woman who gives to the poor -- but also a woman who looks to the needs of her own household, who lays in clothing, who makes goods to sell at the market.  Somewhere else in this chapter it mentions that she considers a field and buys it.  Clearly paying attention to one's own finances is a positive.

In the author's defense, she does seem to have learned from her mistakes -- even if her motive is the desire to go out to lunch.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 09:32:11 PM »
Based on the title, I thought this was going to be about subsidizing family members or something like that -- not parakeet rescue.  :-)