Author Topic: Wheelie bin/trash can cleaners  (Read 5566 times)

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
Wheelie bin/trash can cleaners
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:23:09 AM »
Discovered something so antimustachian today I had to register just to post it.

Having a lie in today I heard a noise outside my house and on investigating see my neighbour having his wheelie bin cleaned (trash can).

My wife, who is often at home during the day tells me that several of our neighbours have their bins washed every week.

They actually pay somebody to drive to their house and wash out their trash can just so they can put more rubbish/garbage into it for the next week.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Wheelie bin/trash can cleaners
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:09:51 AM »
I just can't even imagine why this would be necessary. If it's so filthy that it is smelling up the garage or a side yard, how difficult is it to hose the damn thing out yourself? Takes all of 15 minutes I would think...

Some people have more money than sense I guess.

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:40:58 PM »
We wash out our bin, like, maybe once a year?  Maybe?  You put bags of trash in it.  How dirty does it get?

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:02:13 PM »
Once a week is insane, and so is paying a for it. Our green waste bin gets a bit stinky, and we wash it once every couple of months.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
Occasionally our trash can starts to smell, so I wait 'til trash day, then I dump a gallon of Clorox into the can, being careful to let it hit the sides as it sinks down. 

I can't imagine doing this on a weekly basis, or paying someone else to do it. 

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:35:44 AM »
I have never, ever even thought to wash our my garbage bins.  Ever.  Never. 

Even now that I know this is a real thing, I don't understand why I would bother. 

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 09:50:09 AM »
My kitchen trashcan would get pretty funky pretty often, and I got tired of cleaning it.  I dumped about 1/2 cup of baking soda into the bottom of it.  I do that about once every two months.  (I usually do it when I forget and 'dump' it upside down when there is some heavy trash in it, to put it into my outside trashcan.. then I refill it).

This has kept me from having to actually clean the inside since then!  I guess any nastyness ends up on/in the baking soda, and it absorbs the odor. 

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 10:22:38 AM »
Oh, the inside trash can I understand.  I wash that one out regularly.  I thought we were talking about the cans outside. 

And in the spirit of this thread, I stuck my nose in my wheelie garbage can this morning.  Yep, small likes garbage. 

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 10:53:06 AM »
I should mention that I was born without a sense of smell (congenital anosmia) so I don't know what a funky trash can smells like.  I suppose if it was extremely offensive I could see the point in cleaning it once in a while.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 06:53:15 AM »
Well, ours actually stinks to high heaven, but the squirrels haven't complained, the trash guys ride around all day on a truck full of stinky garbage, so I doubt ours bothers them, and we don't worry about it that much as we stop at the road on our way out to drop off a bag. Basically, there's no one to be offended but potential thieves, and I'm not concerned about their sensibilities. :-)

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:03:25 AM »
Holy cripes, that's insane, and I actually *do* worry about how clean the insides of my garbage cans are.  You know how I remedy that?  I leave them open during a rainstorm.  The driving rain washes them out, and them some sits at the bottom of the can.  Then I dump out the water and let them sit open in the sun for a day or two.  It's like magic.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 11:43:45 AM »
I see FB ads for this all the time - $15 a cleaning!

We house ours in the garage, so the smell can get bad.  I've learned to freeze stuff that would stink (raw meat scraps, I'm looking at you).  Then on garbage day, I toss them in.  No time to smell up the place.