Author Topic: What women think of men based on their cars  (Read 47581 times)

LalsConstant

• Bristles
Re: What women think of men based on their cars
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2015, 07:46:40 AM »
good stuff

Yeah what he said.  XD

I was just saying that because, as you point out, it's a known reproductive strategy that works for some men some of the time, it gets blown up in the culture how important it is.

Have you ever heard the old chestnut about wearing good shoes, because it's the first thing women look at?  It's like because a few times, some guy somewhere got some, ahem, "attention", we all have to imitate that behavior going forward forever.

Is there some legitimate kernel of truth to the idea peacocking yourself via your automobile might attract reproductive prospects?  Absolutely yes.  Does that mean it's something you should do, something that will actually improve your life, or it's something you should pursue in place of something else that might help you even more?  Of course not.

The tragedy of it all is people take this cultural baggage/garbage and package it as articles someone pays them to write.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2015, 07:59:07 AM »
Also Audi drivers have taken over the arsehole driver car owner category from some other brand (Unfortunately I can't remember which).

BMW.

Two thirds of the time the car weaving in and out of traffic in the UK will be a BMW or Audi.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2015, 08:08:43 AM »
What will be next? Mandatory engine noise from bikes? They are just as silent as EVs.
This. The "normal" amount of hum from an EV is already louder than a cyclist.

Quote from: agent_clone link=topic=31840.msg564042#msg564042

My understanding is that they are adding noise to electric cars for blind people. 
Clearly blind people have been dealing with cyclists on the road for years. If it was a prevalent enough problem that blind people can't hear cyclists, then I'm sure they would have passed or at least considered a law already mandating that cyclists have noise generating equipment on their bike.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2015, 05:26:04 PM »
Biological impetus - my mind is a clutter of interesting trivia, and there is a species of grouse (forget the species, sorry, this is out of the memory attic) where the young hens (breeding for the first time) choose the super attractive really show-off males.  The next breeding season the go for the less flashy but still obviously healthy males.  They have learned that flash =/= substance (and the hot males tend to be a bit rough in the mating tactics department, and they have nasty spurs on the ankles, just like fighting cocks).  Sort of like the disastrous starter marriage based on all the wrong criteria, and the solid second marriage.

Big Boots Buddha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2015, 07:24:01 AM »
Man here. I believe women think that cars don't change how a they feel about men. It would be one of many, many things that people don't understand about themselves. What people think they believe and what they actually believe are very different.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2015, 07:31:38 AM »
I have to make a confession....when I see a corvette, I immediately assume 50-60 year old man in crisis, hoping to attract a much younger woman.

Me too!

Turning the tables, I find a woman who can drive stick very appealing.  Not just because it's a good skill to have, but also its implications.  It suggests good coordination, care/dedication to whatever they are currently doing (much harder to drive distracted when using both hands and feet), situational awareness, and common-sense.

Or it suggests they aren't from north America or Japan.

Plenty of bad drivers, both male and female, in the UK, Ireland, France... And almost all of them will be driving a manual transmission.

Most women I knew in mountain areas of Colorado and California had manual transmissions as did I when I lived there.  Now that I live in the lovely flat Midwest I have an automatic, but I wonder if it's like riding a bike, do you ever forget?

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2015, 09:01:04 AM »
I have to make a confession....when I see a corvette, I immediately assume 50-60 year old man in crisis, hoping to attract a much younger woman.

I honestly love Corvettes. I never think of men when I think of them. It seems inappropriate to me when I see man getting out of a beautiful Corvette that is clearly made for some stylish woman who will accessorize her wardrobe to go with the car. I once met a guy who had a collection of Corvettes that he had restored and he told me that he never allowed women in his Corvettes, at which point I immediately assumed he must be delusional since Corvettes are clearly made for women, not for men, and he was violating the natural order of things. Men get ugly cars or bicycles that are functional. Women get pretty cars that go fast and look good with their clothes.

JustPlainBill

« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2015, 09:20:32 AM »
Women that judge men on their cars are women to be avoided at all costs.  No matter how big their hooters might be.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2015, 03:10:04 PM »
Pretty much every woman I know sees a flashy car and thinks "over-compensating jackass."

I do think that, as with that which can be overcompensated for, some men's self-obsession creates an illusion for them about women being just as obsessed. If you drive a flashy car, it will turn off women who hate that, be neutral to women who don't care, and attract women who love flashy cars--which will certainly make it easier to spot women who love flashy cars.

Similarly, regardless of what they actually drive, a lot of the kind of men who love flashy cars also like a very specific type of (flashy!) woman, and barely acknowledge that the broader spectrum of women exist--so if that small group of women is into (or is expected to be into, ahem ahem) flashy cars, then, obviously, women are into flashy cars. What do you mean all those women over there who aren't Barbie dolls don't care? They don't matter! Those aren't dating prospects!

(Anyway, as a lesbian, I don't exactly have a dog in this fight. Bring on the cute girls in their used hybrid hatchbacks.)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »

Me too!

Turning the tables, I find a woman who can drive stick very appealing.  Not just because it's a good skill to have, but also its implications.  It suggests good coordination, care/dedication to whatever they are currently doing (much harder to drive distracted when using both hands and feet), situational awareness, and common-sense.

Plenty of bad drivers, both male and female, in the UK, Ireland, France... And almost all of them will be driving a manual transmission.

Most women I knew in mountain areas of Colorado and California had manual transmissions as did I when I lived there.  Now that I live in the lovely flat Midwest I have an automatic, but I wonder if it's like riding a bike, do you ever forget?

Naw. I haven't driven a manual for a couple of months, you get back in, go.. oh I need to use my left foot and change gear.. and you're fine.

It's marginally worse switching sides of the car/road, but not terrible. I'll usually have one 'which side of the road do I drive on today' moment when switching between but... Well, no accidents yet! (Not superstitious... but touches wood anyway).

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2015, 04:09:39 PM »

Me too!

Naw. I haven't driven a manual for a couple of months, you get back in, go.. oh I need to use my left foot and change gear.. and you're fine.

It's marginally worse switching sides of the car/road, but not terrible. I'll usually have one 'which side of the road do I drive on today' moment when switching between but... Well, no accidents yet! (Not superstitious... but touches wood anyway).
Interestingly, when Sweden switched driving from the left hand sound of the road to the right, they saw a temporary decrease is traffic accidents. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H. I believe the study linked from Wikipedia further goes on to say that this switch caused them to be more alert during this time and hence reduced accidents for a while.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2015, 04:58:44 PM »

This is fairly easy if there's a moderate amount of traffic. During my time in Bangkok, it was pretty obvious that there was a side of the road I should be driving on, and a side of the road in which I would very quickly be involved in a potentially fatal head on collision.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2015, 05:32:25 PM »

This is fairly easy if there's a moderate amount of traffic. During my time in Bangkok, it was pretty obvious that there was a side of the road I should be driving on, and a side of the road in which I would very quickly be involved in a potentially fatal head on collision.
Right, there's no problem in regular traffic. It gets treacherous in narrow country roads when you don't see anyone for miles and slowly forget to drive on the correct side. Taking a roundabout the other way is super weird too.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2015, 06:38:16 PM »

Sure, only time it happens is when I just got in the car and pull onto an empty road.

Which side am I driving on? Right. Which side of the car am I sitting in? Right. Ah - that's ok, I'm in my mum's (British) car she took with her to France.

That's when it gets confusing - I'm historically a right hand drive/drive on the left; now I'm a left hand drive/drive on the right; but my mum's car is right hand drive/drive on the right!

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2015, 08:34:02 PM »
Older cars with a well kept interior is the way to go. I refer to them as EMVs: eccentric millionaire vehicles.

That's good...I'm stealing that.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2015, 10:24:38 PM »

My understanding is that they are adding noise to electric cars for blind people. 
Clearly blind people have been dealing with cyclists on the road for years. If it was a prevalent enough problem that blind people can't hear cyclists, then I'm sure they would have passed or at least considered a law already mandating that cyclists have noise generating equipment on their bike.

I wouldn't mind. I've always got idiot pedestrians on their smart phones stepping out in front of my bicycle because they don't hear a car so assume there's no traffic.

Similarly, regardless of what they actually drive, a lot of the kind of men who love flashy cars also like a very specific type of (flashy!) woman, and barely acknowledge that the broader spectrum of women exist--so if that small group of women is into (or is expected to be into, ahem ahem) flashy cars, then, obviously, women are into flashy cars. What do you mean all those women over there who aren't Barbie dolls don't care? They don't matter! Those aren't dating prospects!

That sounds about right :)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2015, 10:59:16 PM »

I wouldn't mind. I've always got idiot pedestrians on their smart phones stepping out in front of my bicycle because they don't hear a car so assume there's no traffic.
Neither would I, as I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound-Bike-Horn-colors/dp/B000ACAMJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424670977&sr=8-1&keywords=delta+airzound+air+horn

While I wouldn't mind such a law, I'm not convinced we should. I feel like it would only serve to shift blame onto cyclists in that situation, when it's really the idiot pedestrians at fault.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2015, 11:22:12 PM »

Neither would I, as I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound-Bike-Horn-colors/dp/B000ACAMJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424670977&sr=8-1&keywords=delta+airzound+air+horn

While I wouldn't mind such a law, I'm not convinced we should. I feel like it would only serve to shift blame onto cyclists in that situation, when it's really the idiot pedestrians at fault.

Indeed, though the problem is reaction time. Every pedestrian is a potential idiot, they're on every corner and it would be rude to ring my bell as a matter of course. 

But I will say, when my brakes need adjusting we seem to have a much better rapport. Pedestrians no longer stare at me in wild surmise guessing, I assume, whether I am blind or crazy, since they have unmistakable evidence that I'm slowing down.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2015, 02:24:47 PM »
Sorry ladies, I'm not available:

2004 Insight by enigmat1201, on Flickr

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2015, 03:25:15 PM »

I prefer to drive stick shift. My 2001 Outback is a stick shift.
I love my bf's 1996 Toyota Tacoma 4wd truck: stick shift, manual crank windows, manual door locks, even a cassette player. I told him I will buy it from him at any time, cash!

damize

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2015, 04:23:21 PM »
Sorry ladies and gentlemen, but the car arms race is over: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a25087/the-very-last-bugatti-veyron-has-been-sold/

We will just have to muddle on with our mundane bicycle filled lives.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2015, 04:44:19 PM »
Sorry ladies and gentlemen, but the car arms race is over: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a25087/the-very-last-bugatti-veyron-has-been-sold/

Not so fast. Another company is demoing a 1-megawatt car (1341 horsepower) in a couple months.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2015, 05:33:38 PM »

Not so fast. Another company is demoing a 1-megawatt car (1341 horsepower) in a couple months.

1341 horsepower?! That'll go from zero-to-irrational in under 4 seconds!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2015, 09:16:38 AM »
You actually can tell a lot about a person based on their car: what condition it's in.

Dirty car - quite possibly not a neat freak
Car seats - has kids
Pet hair all over - has dog(s)

Haven't figured out what my car says: inside is neat and pretty clean, very little in the car. Outside is filthy.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2015, 03:54:26 PM »
You actually can tell a lot about a person based on their car: what condition it's in.

Dirty car - quite possibly not a neat freak
Car seats - has kids
Pet hair all over - has dog(s)

Haven't figured out what my car says: inside is neat and pretty clean, very little in the car. Outside is filthy.

You don't make a mess, but you don't care about superficial mess.

Roughly what my car would look like... except my wife's driving it, so it's full of... bags of... things. I really don't know what they are. And napkins, tupperwares full of mould (sometimes). And it's unlocked most of the time.

/goes into corner and cries

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2015, 04:17:53 PM »
Funny, ten years ago I went on a first date with a guy in SoCal who drove a Nissan Frontier - the old, tiny ones.  I was impressed! - impressed that he didn't care about the SoCal vibe, and had made a financially sensible choice, and was maybe saving his pennies for something smarter than a car ... until he opened his mouth and admitted how ashamed he was about this vehicle, and that he was only driving it because his Fancy Special Clown Car had been repo'ed, but next month, when The Opportunity happened   ...  er ... next please.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:23:11 PM by frufrau »

Alabaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2015, 12:50:50 AM »
Meh, I don't really have a problem with owning a fancy car as long as its < 1-2% of net worth. I bike everywhere for now, and that makes me a very happy man. But... I'll probably buy a nice, used car to celebrate my first million.

Alabaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2015, 12:57:20 AM »

I honestly love Corvettes. I never think of men when I think of them. It seems inappropriate to me when I see man getting out of a beautiful Corvette that is clearly made for some stylish woman who will accessorize her wardrobe to go with the car. I once met a guy who had a collection of Corvettes that he had restored and he told me that he never allowed women in his Corvettes, at which point I immediately assumed he must be delusional since Corvettes are clearly made for women, not for men, and he was violating the natural order of things. Men get ugly cars or bicycles that are functional. Women get pretty cars that go fast and look good with their clothes.

That is hilarious.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2015, 07:28:17 AM »
I have to admit, when my sensible Mazda3 hatchback is in for servicing, I go and look at the Miatas.  But where would I put the dog? And all the things I use the hatchback space for?  And then I go and get my useful fun-to-drive-hatchback and go home.

That is hilarious.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2015, 08:18:16 AM »
I've had 4 cars and 2 motorcycles since I met my GF a year ago.

Had a "murdered out" Nissan Frontier (her quote, not mine-- I painted all the chrome black)
Then a Saab. All black everything.
Then another Saab. Except rattier.
Then a fairly nice but cheap Audi.

I like nice things that are fast. She doesn't care.
I like to have nicer by buying ones needing work and fixing them up. It's a hobby.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2015, 09:14:18 PM »
All people who drive BMWs are douchebags. All Escalade drivers are jackasses. That's my two cents. :-)

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2015, 06:30:13 PM »
Women that judge men on their cars are women to be avoided at all costs.  No matter how big their hooters might be.

More misogyny !

mnsaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2015, 06:40:18 PM »
The EU is planning to make silent electric cars illegal. You have to add some noise. On one side, I like the idea of having speakers on the outside of the car going "Star wars empire", or some kind of weird japanese jazz. On the other side, I think it is crazy to add more noise to the cities, when one of the big upsides to the EVs is that they reduce noise pollution.

But until that happens, me and the kids will make sure to make broom broom noises when we are cruising along in the leaf.
I assume the EU is considering this out of safety concerns.

I understand where they're coming from, but I also think it's crazy. I can still hear an electric car so long as I don't have any headphones in. Heck I can very easily recognize an electric car (or a hybrid that is currently only using electric power) from a gasoline one just by how it sounds (it's really not that difficult, I'm sure most if not all of you can do this too).
So that only leaves people who are wearing headphones and not looking at all while trying to cross a street. Which I think is a bad idea anyway. There's more threats to a pedestrian than just things they can easily hear. For example, a cyclist can reach 20+ mph, and is virtually silent.

Adding the noise is also so visually impaired people can hear the car.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2015, 08:49:05 PM »
The EU is planning to make silent electric cars illegal. You have to add some noise. On one side, I like the idea of having speakers on the outside of the car going "Star wars empire", or some kind of weird japanese jazz. On the other side, I think it is crazy to add more noise to the cities, when one of the big upsides to the EVs is that they reduce noise pollution.

But until that happens, me and the kids will make sure to make broom broom noises when we are cruising along in the leaf.

I understand where they're coming from, but I also think it's crazy. I can still hear an electric car so long as I don't have any headphones in. Heck I can very easily recognize an electric car (or a hybrid that is currently only using electric power) from a gasoline one just by how it sounds (it's really not that difficult, I'm sure most if not all of you can do this too).
So that only leaves people who are wearing headphones and not looking at all while trying to cross a street. Which I think is a bad idea anyway. There's more threats to a pedestrian than just things they can easily hear. For example, a cyclist can reach 20+ mph, and is virtually silent.

Firstly, an electric car isn't silent. You can hear them. And a visually impaired person, generally speaking, has a better sense of hearing than those who are not visually impaired. If I can hear electric cars (and I can hear them quite well), then so can the visually impaired.

Secondly, cyclists are virtually silent (definitely quieter than an electric car), and apparently visually impaired people can get around this hazard somehow. Otherwise there would have been a law stating that bicycles in the EU need to be putting out sound too (if there is and I'm just not aware of it, please correct me).  I'm not aware of any US law on this matter either, though I'm sure this would vary a lot by states.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2015, 06:07:42 AM »

Firstly, an electric car isn't silent. You can hear them. And a visually impaired person, generally speaking, has a better sense of hearing than those who are not visually impaired. If I can hear electric cars (and I can hear them quite well), then so can the visually impaired.

Secondly, cyclists are virtually silent (definitely quieter than an electric car), and apparently visually impaired people can get around this hazard somehow. Otherwise there would have been a law stating that bicycles in the EU need to be putting out sound too (if there is and I'm just not aware of it, please correct me).  I'm not aware of any US law on this matter either, though I'm sure this would vary a lot by states.

http://www.businessinsider.com/automakers-to-add-engine-noises-to-hybrids-nhtsa-rules-electric-2013-1

They do make noise, yes, but not enough to always hear them in other ambient noise.  I see and hear perfectly well, but I've had one "sneak up" on me before.  It was quite startling.

And bikes make noise in the form of bells that are to alert you to their presence.  They also aren't multi-ton hunks of metal that can squish you like a bug.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2015, 08:15:03 AM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/automakers-to-add-engine-noises-to-hybrids-nhtsa-rules-electric-2013-1

They do make noise, yes, but not enough to always hear them in other ambient noise.  I see and hear perfectly well, but I've had one "sneak up" on me before.  It was quite startling.

And bikes make noise in the form of bells that are to alert you to their presence.  They also aren't multi-ton hunks of metal that can squish you like a bug.

I'm fairly certain if you were actually paying attention for the noise, as in trying to cross a street, you'd hear it. If you're just not paying attention then sure it's possible that an electric car can "sneak up" on you. Also, you're not a visually impaired. You can just look for cars. Any visually impaired person has a much better sense of hearing than one who is not visually impaired.

Secondly I have seen plenty of students around here ride around without a bell on their bike. I was talking about laws requiring a sound device. Not whether some people decide to put one on their bike on their own.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2015, 08:24:05 AM »

I'm fairly certain if you were actually paying attention for the noise, as in trying to cross a street, you'd hear it. If you're just not paying attention then sure it's possible that an electric car can "sneak up" on you. Also, you're not a visually impaired. You can just look for cars. Any visually impaired person has a much better sense of hearing than one who is not visually impaired.

Secondly I have seen plenty of students around here ride around without a bell on their bike. I was talking about laws requiring a sound device. Not whether some people decide to put one on their bike on their own.

Apparently, the NTSA doesn't agree with you. 

And yes.  I think you are helping me make my point re the bike bell. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »

* shrug * I don't think anybody agrees with every regulation considered or passed by every regulatory agency. You have your opinion, I have mine.

The fact that a bicycle isn't a multi ton hunk of metal doesn't preclude it from causing fatal accidents with pedestrians. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/nyregion/woman-dies-after-being-struck-by-central-park-cyclist.html?referrer=&_r=0

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2015, 08:44:57 AM »

* shrug * I don't think anybody agrees with every regulation considered or passed by every regulatory agency. You have your opinion, I have mine.

The fact that a bicycle isn't a multi ton hunk of metal doesn't preclude it from causing fatal accidents with pedestrians. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/nyregion/woman-dies-after-being-struck-by-central-park-cyclist.html?referrer=&_r=0

Based on a 2010 article (admittedly a couple years old now) based on even the NHTSA 's own data there was insufficient evidence that this is a problem for blind people