Author Topic: What women think of men based on their cars  (Read 47586 times)

scottish

• Magnum Stache
What women think of men based on their cars
« on: February 15, 2015, 10:38:34 AM »
From the Globe and Mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commentary/what-gets-her-motor-running-what-women-think-of-men-based-on-their-cars/article22916968/

Forget clothes – cars really do make the man. Your car, like your clothes, is a reflection of you.   A man behind the wheel of a beater “shows a lack of respect for himself and for me.”    Instead, a guy driving a big truck impresses Tong. “A guy who picks me up in a truck is manly, rugged, free-spirited, outdoorsy, grounded and not status-chasing.”

Fortunately there's still hope for those who don't want a truck, but it has to be a hybrid and you need to be a professional athlete.

Driving a green car ranks high, too. ... there is Scott Niedermayer – a good Canadian boy and the captain – driving a Prius

The funny thing is she says that “This guy could afford any car and he’s driving a hybrid.”  So... as long as it's known that you can afford any car, I guess it's ok to drive what you want.  But if you don't have this celebrity status, then you must drive an expensive car that attracts attention.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What women think of men based on their cars
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:42:47 AM »
Ha ha ha ha!

The beater quote cracks me up.

When I met my husband, he was driving an '86 Chevy Nova.  It was 1992.  In the Northeast.  We had that car until 1997.  When we moved to California, my friends laughed at the rust.

cautiouslyunconventional

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 10:47:32 AM »
...is it usual for women to pay much attention to this? I'd assumed that a man using a fancy car to look more appealing to women wasn't actually a thing that worked. But I might be wrong there. (I'm female, but probably have weird taste in potetntial dates.)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »
That is so weird to me.  Generally speaking, when I see a guy in an expensive car/truck/SUV, I think "jackass".  And always have.

lise

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 11:20:10 AM »
That is so weird to me.  Generally speaking, when I see a guy in an expensive car/truck/SUV, I think "jackass".  And always have.

+1  !!!!

Marian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »
Love that the one women they interview (not counting the therapist behind the story) actual works in the "financial district"- so basically immersed in the sort of environment where flash is expected! Not exactly representative of the average American woman.

Personally, I have never been all that attracted to men with flashy cars... I dated this one guy (for about a week) who traded in a year-old car for a super expensive Suby. I asked him why he would trade in a perfectly good car, and he was like "I don't spend money on anything else, and I really wanted it!"  Kind of a turn-off.  Why wouldn't you put that money towards your future??

To be fair, though, if a guy showed up in a Tesla, I would be super impressed.  Lol!

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 12:00:06 PM »
I have judged men based on their cars. An expensive toy of a car, or a massive new SUV, or even new cars every couple of years, have always indicated to me that we likely won't share similar values.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 12:02:53 PM »
I also know dick all about cars and can't tell an expensive one from a piece of crap one. I have trouble even remembering what color someone's car is, let alone what brand. If someone tells me they have a car payment, especially a high one, I do silently judge them.

The thing I definitely notice is interior cleanliness. If someone has to move a bunch of crap off the seat before I can sit down, I generally think less of them. Same if there seems to be a garbage or dirt or dust everywhere. Or bad smells.

AllezAllezAllez

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 12:05:42 PM »
TeeHee.

Interior cleanliness is all that really matters. If you can keep the seats and dashboard presentable, and if the floors are litter free, you're a good bet, in my book.

edit: Great minds, zikoris!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 12:09:15 PM »
That's funny about cleanliness. My primary gauge is that, if it has 4WD, it better have mud on it. A shiny truck is a sure sign of insecurity, idiocy, or both. Odds are mud on the outside means it's used as a truck, and there may be mud, hay, etc. in the bed and tracked into the floorboard. Also, if the bed is used for hauling, a bunch of other crap (anything that needs to go along and yet stay clean and dry) will be in the passenger seat.

southernhippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 12:37:16 PM »
In what world does this author think people driving a big truck are not going for a status symbol.  The author needs to make a trip down south and she will see trucks are the status symbol

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 12:44:25 PM »
Older cars with a well kept interior is the way to go. I refer to them as EMVs: eccentric millionaire vehicles.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
...is it usual for women to pay much attention to this? I'd assumed that a man using a fancy car to look more appealing to women wasn't actually a thing that worked. But I might be wrong there. (I'm female, but probably have weird taste in potetntial dates.)

I've always been deeply impressed by men who built (or rebuilt) their own cars. Extra points if they rebuilt a classic roadster.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »

+another 1

In my brief foray into internet dating, any man who featured a photo of himself with his car (as in "look at my awesome car") on his profile was a no contact, no reply.  Terrible, I know, to cross out a potentially decent guy that way, but the asshole factor trumped any potential positive match.  Photos of him on his bicycle (and some had these) were a plus, of course!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »
When I first met my husband, he drove a Chevy van - an Astro I think.  My first thought about that vehicle was "Oh, excellent!  He's probably a tradesman!"  Turned out he didn't have a trade but drove a van to visit his daughter in another city and he camped in the vehicle. 

So there you go!  I always prefer a modest vehicle - like a Corolla that is fairly clean on the inside.  Speaking of this i will go and dust the inside of my Civic.  Pretty dusty in there.

Cheers.
Pachnik

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
What I think of women who judge a man based on his car:  Skanks.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »

+another 1

In my brief foray into internet dating, any man who featured a photo of himself with his car (as in "look at my awesome car") on his profile was a no contact, no reply.  Terrible, I know, to cross out a potentially decent guy that way, but the asshole factor trumped any potential positive match.  Photos of him on his bicycle (and some had these) were a plus, of course!

Omg + 1000.

Ditto for jetski, four-wheeler, motorcycle, power boat or any other spendy man toy.  Sorry, It's one thing to own one (though most times that seems kind of silly, too) but to photograph yourself with it as some sort of advertisement of... what?  Manliness?  Ability to afford it?  Whatever that's trying to broadcast, I want none of it.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 01:34:50 PM »
That's funny about cleanliness. My primary gauge is that, if it has 4WD, it better have mud on it. A shiny truck is a sure sign of insecurity, idiocy, or both. Odds are mud on the outside means it's used as a truck, and there may be mud, hay, etc. in the bed and tracked into the floorboard. Also, if the bed is used for hauling, a bunch of other crap (anything that needs to go along and yet stay clean and dry) will be in the passenger seat.

+1000000

Also better not have straight stacks or a ridiculous lift or whatever the hell else the teenage boys are putting on their trucks these days.  That will get you automatic disdain. 

I will say that in my pre-mustachian days I was pleasantly surprised at DH's car -- it was early 2012 and he had just bought a 2010 Ford Fusion with <10k miles on it.  Of course, I was living on campus and my last boyfriend hadn't had a car at all, and the one before that had a string of typical high school kid beaters (like...300k+ miles and only working half the time).  So, I think I was mainly excited about the idea of not being worried about getting stranded on the side of the road every time we got in it?  I don't think I would have judged him too harshly if he'd had something at least reliable and clean, even if it wasn't as shiny and "new."

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 01:38:39 PM »
I would avoid anybody who was leasing his vehicle. I would be skeptical of anybody making car payments. I would not be impressed by a real messy, icky interior…but normal guy things would be fine: a blanket for his dog to lie on, a box of tools, etc.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 01:42:45 PM »
For what it's worth, most people I've dated have had NO car period, let alone a beater or fancy car. I have quite a distaste for cars in general for environmental and health reasons, and don't tend to be compatible with people who "need" them.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 01:49:46 PM »
I'm currently driving around in a car that has some visible though not outrageous looking damage to the engine hood because I rear ended somebody (ugh, I should've been paying attention, especially in the rain). I play it off as oh I'm a grad student and I can't afford to fix it (although I certainly can). The car is still functional and doesn't look like shit. If a woman decides to judge me for it, so be it, but chances are if she does, we're probably not all that compatible anyway.

I'll probably get it fixed once I graduate and enter the real world though - I'd probably be too embarrassed to keep driving that car in that state once I start working, especially with the kind of salary I'm expecting with a PhD in electrical engineering.

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 03:11:33 PM »
As a real estate agent who sells home to primarily first time home buyers who don't necessarily have a ton of money, I look at someone with a nice car and think "dammit, they probably have so much debt they won't be able to afford a loan". LOL. This has happened so many times.  It baffles me that people buy such nice cars and have such high payments that they can no longer afford a home.  Then they get all pissed off because they can't get a home loan for the home they "want". Nice one dumbass.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 03:27:10 PM »
I'd probably be too embarrassed to keep driving that car in that state once I start working, especially with the kind of salary I'm expecting with a PhD in electrical engineering.

Nah, my boss with a PhD from MIT bought a rusty Corolla for $300 when he got out of school (passenger side door wouldn't open and he glued half of a soup can to the muffler to cover a hole).  He drove it for his first three years in industry.  Sure, people at worked mocked it, but he took it all in stride.

Flynlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 04:14:52 PM »
I have broken a couple of stereotypes w/ past girlfriends.  They have said similar things as you all, most of the guys they'd dated before with a fancy car were kind of jerks about it.  Not that my cars are fancy, but I enjoy the hell out of them, and I think pure enthusiasm towards any hobby can be contagious.  For instance, very tough to talk about how expensive or nice of a status symbol something like this is (not my car, very similar):

But I sure do love mine.  Cost $1200 and drives like a go-kart :).

Turning the tables, I find a woman who can drive stick very appealing.  Not just because it's a good skill to have, but also its implications.  It suggests good coordination, care/dedication to whatever they are currently doing (much harder to drive distracted when using both hands and feet), situational awareness, and common-sense. 

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 04:17:46 PM »
I don't get it.

I'd be more likely to judge on the general condition of the car --> i.e., if a guy picked me up for a planned date with a car that was filthy inside and out (Canadian winter excluded for outside, because EVERYONE's car is gross here in the winter), then I would not be impressed, just because it's gross.  I wouldn't care WHAT the car was, so long as it was in good working order, decently clean inside and had working heat.  ;)

To be honest, if a guy had a really expensive car, I would be secretly wondering if he could actually afford it.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 04:27:22 PM »
I have broken a couple of stereotypes w/ past girlfriends.  They have said similar things as you all, most of the guys they'd dated before with a fancy car were kind of jerks about it.  Not that my cars are fancy, but I enjoy the hell out of them, and I think pure enthusiasm towards any hobby can be contagious.  For instance, very tough to talk about how expensive or nice of a status symbol something like this is (not my car, very similar):

But I sure do love mine.  Cost $1200 and drives like a go-kart :).

Turning the tables, I find a woman who can drive stick very appealing.  Not just because it's a good skill to have, but also its implications.  It suggests good coordination, care/dedication to whatever they are currently doing (much harder to drive distracted when using both hands and feet), situational awareness, and common-sense.

Totally.  Being able to drive a stick is badass.

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 05:04:37 PM »
I, personally, can't say no to a guy with naked lady mud flaps. 

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 05:19:07 PM »

This.   I have tended to be drawn to rougher woodsy looking guys (eg., someone who looks like he gets his hands dirty and has his priorities in order).   And these guys have usually come with piece of shit cars, which has never bothered me.   I wouldn't even be bothered by a pretty messy interior (as long as it was literally dirt with a little junk, a pile of fast food wrappers would be a turn-off).

What would turn me off would be someone with a car that I suspected they couldn't afford, or they leased, or that suggested that they took themselves too seriously.   

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2015, 05:49:50 PM »
I used to judge dates on their car.  I knew too many men who had new luxury cars were living paycheck to paycheck.  Not the type of guy I wanted to date.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2015, 06:03:40 PM »
Well, I have not driven a stick for several years, but I really do prefer them. I hope I don't forget how. What is really a hoot is going to Ireland (I'm in the U.S.), and driving a stick-shift rental car…sitting on the right, and shifting with the left hand. Wahoo!  I've always thought I should put little American flags on the rent car, so the locals know to watch out for me.  I'm glad to hear others think driving a stick is cool.

Now wait a minute, MrsPotts--I want the guy with the NakedLady mud flaps. Let's flip a coin!

I agree with the poster who said you can't judge by a vehicle's dirty exterior in the winter. Too true, in a four season climate. My vehicle currently looks like a dirt-pie going down the road---but it's too cold to wash it. The inside is clean.

I would not judge a person by his car as long as it was a reasonably sensible choice, safe to drive, (decent tires, etc.),  reasonably clean inside and out (weather permitting), and paid for. If I knew enough about their finances, I would not respect somebody who put too much money into a fancy car and not enough into savings and investments…but of course, in a casual dating situation, that information might not be known.  I'm not fortunate enough to live somewhere where people could get by without a car…a different situation than Zikoris.

willow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 06:28:12 PM »
Did they only survey shallow women?

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 06:59:12 PM »
I used to judge dates on their car.  I knew too many men who had new luxury cars were living paycheck to paycheck.  Not the type of guy I wanted to date.

I read somewhere that 60% of people with luxury cars aren't actually wealthy and are just putting on airs.  Dummies.

Flynlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 07:55:17 PM »
Well my 15 year old truck is a stick so I guess I meet all the criteria for badass. Now if it just got better gas mileage (V-6) and men appreciated a woman with an old, manual truck :-)!

Not ALL the criteria.  There has to be a lighter side......when driving my friend's S2000, I've been know to run it up through third gear yelling, "Vvvvvvvvv.........TTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" whilst giggling like a madman.

I suggest making fake turbo noises while shifting gears.  That's a good start. 

On a more serious note, men SHOULD appreciate a woman that drives stick (and vice versa, naturally).  When I was in the UK, a neighbor drove a Toyota Sienna for her school run with the kids....and it was a stick :).  Bad.  Ass.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 09:00:20 PM »
I'd probably be too embarrassed to keep driving that car in that state once I start working, especially with the kind of salary I'm expecting with a PhD in electrical engineering.

Nah, my boss with a PhD from MIT bought a rusty Corolla for $300 when he got out of school (passenger side door wouldn't open and he glued half of a soup can to the muffler to cover a hole).  He drove it for his first three years in industry.  Sure, people at worked mocked it, but he took it all in stride.
Haha well I don't think I could do that.

Though what I will probably end up doing is getting it repaired and still driving it. It's got only 93519 miles on it.

lise

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »
I am female and was not born in the USA.  I think learning to drive stick is pretty much standard everywhere else in the world!

Love changing those gears!  But I don't consider myself "bad ass".

surfhb

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 12:00:48 AM »
According to the research in Millionaire Next Door, about 70% of the millionaires they interviewed have never paid over $25k for a vehicle.    Their economic data also discovered that %80 of the assholes who pull up next to you in a BMW or Mercedes have problematic income to net worth ratios.   

I still drive the truck I bought in college (I'm 46 in 2 weeks) and it just passed 510,000 miles and looks almost new inside and out.    It's a stick & green too!! 

I love driving it, keeping it kept up and knowing it was the best financial decision I've ever made.   

I used to be self conscious of what women thought when I'd pick them up for dinner in it.....now I just don't give a fuck. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:33:55 AM by surfhb »

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 12:53:52 AM »

Exactly. I love all these things regarding this is what women think of you if you do whatever. Any woman that is like that is only good for one thing.

I didn't even have a car when I started dating my wife. I now have upgraded to a piece of crap Hyundai Getz. My wife would be pissed if I was driving an expensive car.

Melanie A

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 01:10:18 AM »
I was actually just thinking about this the other day. When I was in college, I did judge a guy based on having a car and if it was nice, it was a bonus. I also found guys that drove trucks were such turns ons, dodge trucks to be more specific. Now when I see a guy with a fancy car or truck, I just cringe and it does the complete opposite. I'm very fortunate my SO is not into fancy or new cars.

When I see people posting on facebook that they bought a new car, it makes me wish that I could have given them advice before they made that purchase. I think people have the idea I can 'afford' it so why not? I was one of those people that fell into that trap and now I'm paying for it. Oh well lessons learned.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 04:33:26 AM »
Most women don't know the difference between a nissan and a mercedes benz.

My opinion is that men buy mercedes do it to impress men/feel like they are winning the rat race (so in a way, it has homosexual characteristics), and to prove that they have improved their lifestyle from their childhood lifestyle

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 05:42:56 AM »
I wonder what people think of my wife and me. We have one car between us that she uses 95% of the time.

I prefer my bike to do the town errands on.

To be fair our car is a 15 year old beemer so it's a very nice drive. Good thing about it is that we bought it used for $23.000 which was insanely cheap at the time. (Don't judge, a new golf gti costs $73.500 in this country)

But only in America would driving stick be considered badass. Everywhere else in the world everybody drives stick all the time.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 06:28:27 AM »
“A guy who picks me up in a truck is manly, rugged, free-spirited, outdoorsy, grounded and not status-chasing.”
The irony.
I find it generally means you're desperately trying to live up to someone else's image of "manly, rugged, free-spirited, outdoorsy", etc... while wasting a house payment's worth of gas driving downtown from the suburbs.
I stay grounded by packing my electric hatchback full of tools and investing the savings. What a dumb ho. I'm so glad to hear idiots like her will not be bothering me for attention any time soon.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 06:42:53 AM »
I am female and was not born in the USA.  I think learning to drive stick is pretty much standard everywhere else in the world!

Love changing those gears!  But I don't consider myself "bad ass".

True.  In the US, though, it's somewhat unusual for someone to know how to drive a stick.

Migs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • That'll do, pig. That'll do.
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2015, 07:01:00 AM »
I've always been deeply impressed by men who built (or rebuilt) their own cars. Extra points if they rebuilt a classic roadster.

+1

I was more impressed that my boyfriend could rebuild an engine rather than what car he drove. I didn't care one bit that the car he was fixing up was a complete Frankenstein (different colored body panels etc.)

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »

Exactly. I love all these things regarding this is what women think of you if you do whatever. Any woman that is like that is only good for one thing.

I didn't even have a car when I started dating my wife. I now have upgraded to a piece of crap Hyundai Getz. My wife would be pissed if I was driving an expensive car.

It is perfectly possible to hold many views and like many things. I like men who build their own cars. It seems mysterious and magical to me. I equally like men (and women) who go without cars or people who use a bicycle instead. And I have a very, very soft spot in my heart for sports cars and convertibles (or any car that looks like it could be animated by Disney).

FWIW, we did not own a car until I was in my thirties and needed one for the job I had (no public transport, no safe route to bicycle and much too far). My husband didn't learn to drive until after he had a PhD. (He thought that studying for the written portion of the driving test would distract from more important studying. Afterwards he said to me with great indignation, "They'll give one of these drivers licenses to just anyone!") He didn't start regularly driving until he was in his early 40s and had to drive for a work opportunity.

KiloRomeo

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 08:14:46 AM »
Okay, not gonna lie... I love a well maintained old car. The guy who picked me up in a an old shelby corvette for our first date he had excellently restored? Now my fiance.

Call me shallow. I love cars. I love american muscle cars. I love cornering fast like a maniac. I love watching the British Top Gear. That said, I know they're totally impractical, and we don't have that car anymore. But nothing beats the growl of a great engine.

....I'm sorry.

Shelby Corvette huh?

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
This thread reminds me of this scene from "Borat": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuu3xOsorQ  (NSFW language, of course.  LOL!)

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 08:54:08 AM »
I fell for my now-husband when I saw his ride: A 20-year-old Volvo 240 wagon with a third row seat.

I still miss that car.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2015, 08:57:58 AM »
I suspect the reactions on this board are just as biased as those women from the "financial district".  While that population probably appreciates the prestige of a new, shiny BMW, this population is just as biased towards thinking, "Probably makes payments". 

When I met my husband he drove a Mustang.  He saved money during his teens/while in community college and paid cash for it before he went away to university at age 20.  It was a splurge, yes, but it was one he could afford, and splurging wasn't a habit for him. 

What loser can't drive a stick?  They sure don't live in the South.  I was driving a manual-transmission tractor when I was still small enough to have to stand up /use all my weight on the clutch.   

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 09:21:08 AM »
My only comment is that the reason for the article is because the Toronto Auto Show is coming up.  It is currently in Chicago and many of the local news media is covering it extensively (because the networks and papers like the fact that auto companies by advertising from them).  Spending $12 to get into a convention center to look at cars doesn't resonate for me but they had a full house this weekend.  They are also plugging stories that over 50% of attendees are females  (because if I came home with an automobile without consulting my wife first there would be Billy Hell to pay)  So take articles like this with a grain of salt as it is known in the world of marketing as "advertorial" :-)

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
The second section with the Bugatti is frightening though. 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JXc_HkWgjuA

[YOUTUBE]JXc_HkWgjuA[/YOUTUBE]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:41:48 AM by Heckler »